Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Region free DVD player?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Region free DVD player?

Old 07-10-00, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to buy a region free dvd player for my cousin who's going to korea. where's the best place to get one of these? I tried searching online and most of the places that sell them are in the UK or Hong Kong. Are there any in the US? Money isn't really an issue, he's willing to spend $700, and wants a Sony in a silver color. Anyone have any suggestions? thanks

jin
Old 07-10-00, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts
The Apex is a region free player for cheap money less than 150 me thinks, and I remember seeing Sony having a multi region player "coming soon" in my last crutchfield catalog for around 500.00 In the print catalog it was clear that it was a multi region player but with a qucik look I couldn't find it on line.

Opps it looks like the apex may have lost that feature on the newer model. I noticed a post below "Helppppp" or something and they offered this link for a site with multi region DVD players http://dvdcity.com/codefree/codefreeindex.php3

[This message has been edited by jpcamb (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-00, 05:23 PM

yeah i know about the apex and some of the other cheap ones that have been sold recently, but my cousin is looking for a top of the line player, particularly one from Sony. i checked out couple of places online including www.codefreedvd.com www.mailuk.com and www.avshop.com.hk but i'm not sure how reliable they are and would preferably like to purchase one from within the US because I need it asap, i need to have it shipped overnight. any help would be appreciated.

jin

[This message has been edited by JediJ (edited July 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JediJ (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-00, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

try supreme video in NYC.. think they may have what you want...

http://www.supremevideo.com/DVD/sony/sony_dvdmulti.htm

check out the k330...but they have 3 sony models and they do have other brands too.

FYI, for a top of the line player it will be MUCH MORE than 700. That is what one costs regularly, so I would expect over 1000 for something like that and progressive scan would be even higher.

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-00, 09:06 PM

My Pioneer 414 is region free. A very good player in my opinion.
Old 07-10-00, 10:39 PM

xcheckers, i was wondering, do you know anything about the three models that supreme video sells? are they units that sony sells in the US as multi-region or are they like imported by supreme video? how does the multi-region exactly work, do you know? is it auto-switching or manual, is there a limit to the number of switches? they all seem to be similar in price, so the first two look good in terms of color (he really wants it in silver). i don't think my cousin is looking for progressive scan or anything like that. what i meant by top of the line is just something good, nothing cheap. i think i've found what i was looking for, thanks alot, and if you could help me with some of my questions, that'd be great. thanks again.

jin
Old 07-11-00, 02:29 AM

buy.com has one dvd player, region free at
cheap price, ($180).
http://www.us.buy.com/electronics/pr...p?sku=90043814