Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help out my friend with "true black" images

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help out my friend with "true black" images

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-00, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the message below and couldn't really help him much. So I thought someone here could explain it for him. He is not getting "true black" bars with using his Sony dvd player. So he is wondering is there a way he can? If not he wants to buy a new one anyway and how can he make sure it won't happen with the new one? Which models or makes? I couldn't help him much because I'm using a Toshiba 40x81 with a 5109.

"BK, Here is somethig you can help me with. My dvd player does not render true black. Meaning that when the the background is supposed to be black mine is a deep sahde of purple. It has always been that way with both. I just thought that was the way it was. But using Matt's PS2 as a dvd player the background is truly black. This is really evident when using the squeezing technique on the new wega. There are noticeable purple bars when using mine and a true blending when using the PS2. Anyway, now i find it truly annoying and since I want to upgrade soon I want to know if I get a new dvd player if the same thing will occur.
Do you think it could be because I have the older Sony 600 model.
I know you like to research these things, so any input you can get me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!
Old 07-09-00, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
While I can't state for sure for his particular model, many early DVD players cannot pass a blacker than black video signal. If you can rent the Video Essentials disk you can find out for sure as its black level calibration test will only work if the player can pass BTB.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 07-09-00, 05:42 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe some of the Sony players don't pass the pluge test (sp?).

But you don't really need that unless you're trying to calibrate the colors on your TV. And if you use AVIA Guide to HT, you don't even need that (their color calibration setup doesn't need it, while VE does.)

It does sound like he needs to calibrate his TV though.

If he used the player on another TV set and it did the same thing, then I would think there might be something wrong with either his player or its settings.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 07-09-00, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We decided it was the dvd player. Because we used another dvd player and a black screen in a movie was the same color as the black bars on the top and bottom (with toshiba 3109). But with his SONY 600D he does have the black bars but the black screen part of the movie has a clear purple tint to it. We thought it could be the tv but we get a totally black picture with the newer dvd player.
Old 07-10-00, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I think the Toshiba DVD players will do BTB pluge.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 07-10-00, 09:29 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can quote me.

The 2109 and 3109 players do this for sure, and I believe it's standard on all their players.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]