Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help! My new subwoofer isn't working

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help! My new subwoofer isn't working

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-00, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just got my new 12" JBL subwoofer form Mercata and I can't get it to work properly. My reciever is a Technics SA-DX930.

I connected the subwoofer output on the back of the reciever to the line in plugs on the back of the reciever. Somce there is a left and right input on the subwoofer and just a line out (mono) output on the reviever, I tried both using a y-connector and plugging it into just the left or right inputs.

If I turn the volume up 3/4 of the way on the subwoofer and crank the reciever way up, I can hear some bass. I've made sure the subwoofer setting is turned on in the reciever and have even played around with setting my speakers to "large" and "small."

I'm just using a standard RCA cable for the connections. Does anyone have any ideas? Your help would be much appreciated.

I also tried running the left and right speaker lines right into the subwoofer with the same results. I don't think it's the reciever because the same thing happened with an old stereo I dug up.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 07-06-00, 01:08 PM

quote:<HR>

I connected the subwoofer output on the back of the reciever to the line in plugs on the back of the reciever.

<HR>

I think that is your problem. Just plug the sub out from the reciever into the input on the sub. It should work then.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.
Old 07-06-00, 03:51 PM

I had the same problem with my Boston Acoustics. To solve my problem, I took the main left and right speaker outputs and split them. That way the output from the left and right for the main speakers are also going to the sub. It made a BIG difference. A buddy of mine also took the same approach with a kick butt Velodyne Sub with similar positive results.
Old 07-06-00, 05:07 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Webber:
I had the same problem with my Boston Acoustics. To solve my problem, I took the main left and right speaker outputs and split them. That way the output from the left and right for the main speakers are also going to the sub. It made a BIG difference. A buddy of mine also took the same approach with a kick butt Velodyne Sub with similar positive results.<HR>

Don't you normally just do this if you have _no_ RC out on the back of your receiver. My understanding is the mono out on the back of most receivers already blends left/right signals anyways (L/R LFE outs are only on very few receivers to my knowledge), and sub input is mostly only affected in DD5.1 mode, where it's getting the specific .1 intended for it to reproduce anyways. Crossing the right/left speakers would result in more sound on average though I would assume from Prologic tracks or listening to your CD's. You can also see if internally you can play with teh menu's on your receiver to juice-up the receivers .1 output. I guess if you want the sound however, no harm done.

------------------
DVD's ARE Addictive
Old 07-06-00, 05:15 PM

Well, the problem has been solved to some extent. It works fine in DD when I have the volume cranked way up, however I am still struggling with music. I don't have to turn the volume up nearly as loudly as I do when watching a digital movie to get the speakers at the same level. Even with the subwoofer turned all the way up, the front speakers overpower the subwoofer and you can't hear it. Any ideas?
Old 07-06-00, 05:17 PM

oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by DougH (edited July 06, 2000).]
Old 07-06-00, 06:04 PM

I had to do this with my Audiosource SW15 to get it to work.

I'm using an Onkyo 575. It has a single Subwoofer output. I went to Radio Shack and picked up an RCA Y-cable. Plugged single end into the receiver and split the other end to go into the right/left on the Sub. Everything worked fine. I have bass in movies, music, everything.

From your post, it looks like you tried this already. Didn't work?
Old 07-06-00, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It might be on how your receiver is setup. On my Kenwood, if you turn the "subwoofer on", then you must make sure the fronts and the center are set to "normal" and not "large". Any speakers set to "large" will result in the sound completely bypassing the sub pre-out. That's my suggestion to check. Good luck!
Old 07-06-00, 06:59 PM

Mooky7 Do you mean the MonoOut on the reciever can be used as a subwoofer output? Because im hooking my sub between my right channel and my amp. If i plug it into my MONO OUT of my Pro-Logic Processor, could that be used as a Sub-out?

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!
Old 07-07-00, 04:09 AM

Ectro>
yup, my old sony receiver (a prologic unit, no DD ready even) had a mono out that was actually a sub out, granted, unlike DD where the signal is dedicated (atleast in DD mode) it would be an internal crossover that takes below a certain frequency range and sends it to the sub. Or something like that

------------------
DVD's ARE Addictive
Old 07-09-00, 06:56 PM

I too am having some subwoofer problems. I bought a infinity BU-80 and am having a horrible time placing and getting sound out of it. I have a pretty small room, rough measurements are 15x10 any suggestions or is it the sub?

[This message has been edited by tavarua88 (edited July 09, 2000).]