Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help Pls! My receiver keeps shutting off

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help Pls! My receiver keeps shutting off

Old 07-05-00, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At random, my Yamaha RX-V992 shuts off. It's not even from over heating. It is open air on top and right now I'm just playing a CD and it just randomly turns off. The reciever is not hot to the touch at all. Certainly not like when I play a DVD. Is this a fuse problem or something worse?
Thanx
Old 07-06-00, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does it have a sleep timer mode? I know some Technics receivers had that feature, and you could set it to go on or off at a certain time. Maybe you activated that somehow. Otherwise, I would unhook all components from it for a few days and see if it still does it. Or reset the receiver. That's all I know. Good luck!
Old 07-06-00, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you have 5 or 6 speakers make sure you have sound coming from each. When I first hooked up my speakers to my receiver it kept shutting off because one of my front tower speakers wasn't completely wired, which sent to much power to the other one. Other than that, I don't know what it could be.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will. I've got spare time.--Tommy Callahan
Old 07-06-00, 12:53 PM

If it has worked fine before, then it may be something serious. Just make sure none of the wires are crossed or that a bug didn't crawl in there and die (it could be shorting out something in there causing the receiver to shut down and protect itself.)

Otherwise, look into getting it repaired. If it was a simple fuse problem, then it shouldn't start at all. Electronics do die from time to time for no apparent reason, you may just be unlucky.

Old 07-06-00, 10:55 PM

I had the same thing happen with my Harman Kardon receiver (it would cut off during LOUD action scenes). I called CS there and they said to make sure that all of my speaker wires were connected properly and they were not frayed or anything. I swore up and down that I ran the wire myself and there was no problems. They told me to send the receiver in. Well, I was ready to send it in and we were ripping up the carpet to get the new carpet installed - the carpet company wanted to know if there were tack boards or something - don't quite remember.

Anyway, when I pulled up the carpet, sure enough, one of my speaker wires were put on the tack board that holds the carpet down putting a hole through the speaker wire (my wife was doing something to the carpet - god only knows what - and put the carpet back down on the tack board as well as the speaker wire - which she finally remembered after I confronted her). Well, I pulled the wire off of the tack board and everything is working fine - I have since replced the cable for other reasons, but it did work fine - just a suggestion...

Old 07-06-00, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I lost all of the surrounds once and finally determined that my cat had gone for a cruise behind the receiver and popped a single wire. I reseated everything and told the cat no more holidays. I haven't had a problem with oxidation for the last aten years or so, but you might try unplugging and replugging each wire to freshen the connections (reseating).