Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can you record an anamorphic image on a Hi8 or digital tape?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can you record an anamorphic image on a Hi8 or digital tape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-00, 05:34 PM
ripthorne

This question is for those of you that have used a camcorder before.

You all know what an anamorphic DVD looks like when it's in 16X9 Widescreen mode and you only have a standard TV right?

ok, if your camcorder has the option to record your image in a vertically stretched mode (which most can do, it's an effect), is that the same thing as recording it as an anamorphic image?

If you were to connect your camcorder and connect it to a widescreen TV, and your widescreen tv is set to 16X9 widescreen mode, will the image fill up the whole screen, OR will it just be a 4X3 image where everything in the picture is vertically stretched and there are black bars on the side?

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- Aren't you one of those guys. What guys? Those guy guys, you know those guys with skills? Skills? Yeah, You send them out into the wilderness with a pocket knife & a Q-Tip & they build you a shopping mall, you can't do that? No, I can't do that.
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet Updated July 04, 2000
Old 07-06-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
If your TV is set to widescreen, it will stretch any picture, even if it is just 4:3. SO, I guess vertically stretched images would look sorta widescreenish. My Sony Handycam (one of the last Hi8 models they sold before switching to digital) has a 16X9 mode, so you can play back on a widescreen TV. Pretty cool
Old 07-06-00, 06:03 PM
ripthorne

I am aware that camcorders have a widescreen mode, but isnt that recording it in a NONanamorphic way? There will be black bars and you will have to zoom in or whatever.
Old 07-06-00, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
My sony digital 8 has the 16x9 mode and its anamorphic. on the LCD screen it has black bars, but when you play it on a 4:3 its stretched, on a widescreen tv it would not be streched and not have black bars (you never see the black bars except on the cameras lcd screen)
Dave Ninja
Old 07-06-00, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dave,same here-just picked up sony-trv315 love it so far,now only if i had somthing to video
Old 07-06-00, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't if this is pertinent, but I can copy a dvd to svhs using its wide or 16x9 mode and the image on the tape is the vertically stretched image on a 4x3 box. Compress the box and you have a very nice picture, although analogue tape has none of the digital features that make dvd a better product. Also, you can forget DD or dts.