Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need sub recommendation

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

need sub recommendation

Old 03-22-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need sub recommendation

i have an atlantic technology 5.1 speaker system (satellite speakers with a 10 inch 150 watt sub). The sub is blown and i need to replace it.

any recommendations or what i should look out for?
I suppose i need to worry about the crossover point?

I am considering these 2 subs.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../klipsch-ksw10

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../energy-eswc10
any comments?
will be using it mostly for home theatre and occasionally music.
leaning on the klipsch since it seems more powerful for the same price.

also considering wireless for the convenience.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...3/polk-pswi225

how is the sound quality and reliablity of wireless speakers?
Old 03-22-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: need sub recommendation

Haven't heard either, but the Energy has more power than the Klipsch.
Old 03-22-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts

I know there are several good one's, but in my mind there are these two and then everything else. And I'd probably not spend a lot of time on the "everything else". Find one to fit your budget and move on. But these....oh my!

http://www.svsound.com/
http://www.hsuresearch.com/
Old 03-22-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

^ Agreed! When my old sub broke and I went looking to find a new one, I wanted to go very thrifty. I ended up spending a little more than I intended with the Hsu Research sub that I bought, but it was so worth it.
Old 03-22-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But if you don't have a budget starting at $500, then those subs won't do you much good.
Old 03-22-10, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I know there are several good one's, but in my mind there are these two and then everything else. And I'd probably not spend a lot of time on the "everything else". Find one to fit your budget and move on. But these....oh my!

IMO there are a few more that fall under "these two" but I agree with sdallnct I would look at these two companies for a sub.

Originally Posted by cpgator
But if you don't have a budget starting at $500, then those subs won't do you much good.
Well we are assuming here on the OP's budget. I think what we are getting at is if your not in that budget,save until you are. You will be alot happier you did in the long run,especially with satellite speakers.
Old 03-22-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Well we are assuming here on the OP's budget. I think what we are getting at is if your not in that budget,save until you are. You will be alot happier you did in the long run,especially with satellite speakers.
I agree that saving up will always allow you to have better stuff, but sometimes that isn't possible. Besides, if he has the option to save up, i would upgrade the satellites first.
Old 03-22-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The HSU start at $300. Yea...a $100 more than the two the OP posted, but I'd take it over the other two every day of the week and twice on Sunday's. Even it if it meant going without milk at lunch....

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html

Tho for "only" $50 more, you can get 200 watts and 10" in HSU quality,

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

I've been batting around starting to upgrade my entire system (slowly) and while I've always drooled over those SVS Cylinder subs, that HSU for $350 is a smoking deal and might be hard to pass up.
Old 03-22-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster
Those aren't subs.

These are subs.
Old 03-22-10, 10:41 PM

I agree that saving up will always allow you to have better stuff, but sometimes that isn't possible. Besides, if he has the option to save up, i would upgrade the satellites first.
Well I would have to respectfully disagree in the OP's situation because 1st he has no sub right now and 2nd the sub is a crucial part of an HT system especially for movies.
If he can save up for speakers,I would highly recommend saving for a good sub.
Old 03-22-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. My sub cost me more than any other 2 speakers. And it is what everyone remembers. (well, and the screen)
Old 03-23-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great advice here I have a Martin Logan and love it, but the Polk is not good at all and the hsu would serve you well.
Old 03-23-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The HSU start at $300. Yea...a $100 more than the two the OP posted, but I'd take it over the other two every day of the week and twice on Sunday's. Even it if it meant going without milk at lunch....
Didn't realize the HSU were so inexpensive, and i agree, spending a little extra money would provide a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 03-23-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm actually satisfied with my Atlantic Technology speakers. Bought them over 10 years ago for around 1000.

so the 2 subs i posted are crap?
I don't have a budget, wanted to keep costs low. $500 is way too much, but i will consider spending $300 if an extra $100 would make a huge difference in performance.
the specs on my satellite speakers says the frequency range is 125Hz - 20 Khz.
so i need a sub that will cover 125Hz and below right?

The specs on my broken sub reads 35-180 Hz

Last edited by timewaster; 03-23-10 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-23-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ummm...how to put this gently....

I wouldn't go so far as saying the two you posted were crap. I'd say they are not good and not really any different than every other $200 sub out there. But if you like your current speakers, you may be ok with either of those.

"Huge difference in performance" is very subjective. But I would say any HSU or SVS would have a huge difference in performance compared to the two you posted. Spiky may have been short in his reply...but he was also 100% correct.
Old 03-23-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They aren't crap, they simply aren't subs. They can give about as much bass as many tower speakers, making them essentially redundant. And I don't mean super-expensive towers. It's about volume levels at all related frequency levels. Most "subs" play so loud at the high end of the bass frequencies (say, 50Hz) that you can't hear whatever they play at the low end, like under 30Hz. So, it's like they can't play bass at all. Trust me, under 30Hz is the fun part.

The HSU and SVS companies have made it their goal to make subs that play at the same loudness (showing a flat line on a chart) at more bass frequencies. Their inexpensive models usually are even loudness from around 25-30Hz up to the crossover. Their more expensive models drop that low end to 25, 20, 15, 10. Mine is flat from below my hearing range to over 100Hz. Playing a movie is a moving experience.
Old 03-24-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a budget, wanted to keep costs low. $500 is way too much, but i will consider spending $300 if an extra $100 would make a huge difference in performance.
I know it is tough to buy speakers you can't audition on faith but read the reviews... they aren't lying.
Years ago I bought a Sony sub widely considered to be the "best bang for the buck" sub out there and it cost me about $200. It was OK... made a lot of racket when things exploded in movies and I was relatively happy with it.

Can't recall why I bought the HSU, maybe a cash windfall. Anyway, I bought a VTF-2 MK 3 and it was a revelation. I didn't realize until then what a boomy piece of shit that Sony actually was. In retrospect I wish I had not waisted the money on the Sony and just sprung for the $500 HSU to begin with. Without doubt, the best HT purchase I have made.
Old 03-24-10, 06:01 AM

I've scanned thru the previous posts -- my first question is what's the dimension of the room that this will be used in and is it a free standing house, apt/condo?

-Tim

Owner of a SVS PC13-Ultra (and couldn't be happier nor strangely could my wife)
Old 03-24-10, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love my SVS PB12-NSD.
Old 03-24-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tdoane78
I've scanned thru the previous posts -- my first question is what's the dimension of the room that this will be used in and is it a free standing house, apt/condo?

-Tim

Owner of a SVS PC13-Ultra (and couldn't be happier nor strangely could my wife)
It is a condo so i won't be able to play it too loud otherwise i will get angry neighbors.
room is roughly about 13x19 feet
Old 03-24-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even more reason to get a real sub. With a flat frequency response, you can hear/feel at lower volume levels, giving a reasonable HT experience at 60-70db. Most people think to not disturb others you have to delete all the fun stuff and listen to nothing but talking, because they don't have a sub.
Old 03-25-10, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Great advice here I have a Martin Logan and love it, but the Polk is not good at all and the hsu would serve you well.
I have also been looking at getting a subwoofer for the last year or so, and I keep coming back to Martin Logan. Right now I may get the Abyss.
Old 03-25-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The HSU subs only go up to 90 hz.

"Crossover Continuously variable 30-90 Hz, defeatable, 24 dB/Oct"

my satellites on go down to 125 hz.
won't i be missing some frequencies and missing out on some sounds?
Old 03-25-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jackson walker
I have also been looking at getting a subwoofer for the last year or so, and I keep coming back to Martin Logan. Right now I may get the Abyss.
The low end SVS can match it for $500. The same-price SVS can crush it. I compared my first SVS to the Descent. The Descent was awesome at $3000, the $700 SVS was slightly better. The best value in the world might be the PC13-Ultra for just a bit more.

The HSU subs only go up to 90 hz.

"Crossover Continuously variable 30-90 Hz, defeatable, 24 dB/Oct"

my satellites on go down to 125 hz.
won't i be missing some frequencies and missing out on some sounds?
I'm sure it plays that high, it's the crossover that is an issue. Can your receiver crossover go high enough to compensate?
Old 03-26-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I compared my first SVS to the Descent. The Descent was awesome at $3000, the $700 SVS was slightly better.
WTF? I know SVS owners are a proud breed, but lets not get crazy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.