Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do all Sony players have such a soft picture?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Do all Sony players have such a soft picture?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-00, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally broke down and bought a new DVD player (the Sony DVP-S360) but can't get over the soft look the video quality has. Do all Sony players have this quirk? It's driving me crazy. Not sure if I can get used to it or not. Might trade it in for a Toshiba or a newer Panasonic (my other player is an A110.)

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs
Old 07-03-00, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sony has decided to go the route of softer picture with few artifacts as opposed to Toshiba and others that have a sharper picture with more artifacts. On lower end players (under $400) it seems like you have to sacrifice one for the other. I personally enjoy the sharper picture...you don't really notice the artifacts unless there are a lot of horizontal lines on the screen.

I snagged this from a different post:

Anamorphic/Enhanced for Widescreen/Enhanced for 16:9 downconversion: Unless you already have or will also purchase a 16:9 TV set your player will have to down convert the enhanced DVDs for your 4:3 (or standard) TV. If you don't already know about how this works click on this link for an explanation. Some players (Toshiba) downconvert by removing every forth line from the image. This can result in a shimmery look to scenes with moving horizontal lines (like stairs, car grilles). Other players (like Sonys) provide an averageing of the lines to create a "better" downconverted image. Some say this makes the image softer, however, beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. A good test of this is the Ronin DVD. Check the opening scene when DeNiro is walking down the steps. You can see the shimmer on the buildings the camera pans across and on the stairs he's walking down. This won't be noticeable on a PC monitor because it is noninterlaced (which essentially means it is a 16:9 enhanced display).

[This message has been edited by broadwayblue (edited July 02, 2000).]
Old 07-03-00, 04:06 AM
AW

The Sony will have a softer picture than certain other DVD players (e.g., Toshiba)when downconverting anamorphic DVDs for playback on a 4:3 TV. However, the Sony's will have little or no artifacting. This softness relative toToshiba and others is present only when downconverting anamorphic DVDs. Toshibas have a sharper picture but more artifacting on donconverted anamorphic DVDs. I have read reviews that suggest that Pioneer has a good compromise relative to Sony and Toshiba.

For what it is worth, I am surprised that the softness on the Sony is that distracting. I use a Sony DVP-S3000 on a
KP53XBR45 set and have never thought any DVD was overly soft looking. Before giving the Sony back for a Toshiba, you should make sure that any digital artifacting on a downconverted DVD is not even more distracting.
Old 07-03-00, 05:01 AM
Topgun94

After watching DVDs at my friends house on his Toshiba I will stick with the Sony. I will take the softer picture over the jagged look of the Toshiba anyday. However, once you get used to something it probably doesn't matter either way.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 07-03-00, 04:56 PM

It does seem to be a matter of what you're used to. The older Panasonic I have has the jagged lines/shimmering/etc problem, but after 2 years I was used to it. The Sony just has a new set of quirks to get used to I guess. I've watched about 20 titles on it so far and am getting used to it.

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs
Old 07-03-00, 05:45 PM
uhh, Clem?

I guess it depends on the Sony model. I have a 650 and it allows adjusting the picture to three presets -- cinema(softest), standard(medium), and dynamic(sharpest) -- or you can adjust the picture, brightness, color, and sharpness yourself.

I originally liked the standard, but have found myself using dynamic almost exclusively.