Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Calibration from Best Buy-worth it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I am looking at getting a new TV from Best Buy, but I really don't care for the way they make everything seem like it's their way or the highway, like when it is delivered, what the delivery people will and won't do, and most of all the $199 calibration that they say you either have to get done by them when it's purchased or it never happens. I am curious, as HDTVs are sold by vendors other than Best Buy and they don't all charge for calibration (Wal-Mart for instance).

I guess what I am asking is: is calibration worth it, or is it just an extra thing they try push on you like Service Plans?
Old 09-22-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Calibration from Best Buy-worth it?

You know what I did? I went to the avsforums and did some research to see if there was an owners or calibration thread on the TV I had purchased, and usually, there is. There are people that use their own equipment on those forums to properly calibrate their sets, and they'll post the settings for you to try out. It's a GREAT starting point for people who want a properly calibrated image, and usually only minor tweaks are needed in order to achieve what would be considered 'perfect' to your eye. There's also a website out there that actually specializes in just posting calibration settings for TV's. Again, these should just be considered 'close to perfect' starting points. For example, if your TV has a warm scaled of 'warm 2, warm 1, neutral, cool', you might not like the 'warm 2' setting and go with 'warm 1' instead, it's what I did after taking the calibrations I found on avsforums, and I'm happy.

From what I understand, Best Buy's calibration experience can vary depending on the person doing it... I've heard a lot of people that were unhappy with letting Best Buy do the calibration for them.

Avsforums will save you a couple hundred bucks, and you'll most likely be happier with the end result to boot.

Just as an example, here's a calibration thread for the TV I own at avs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1020612

Also, here's TweakTV. Sometimes it takes them a while to get your set posted on there, but they usually get around to it eventually.

http://www.tweaktv.com/

This is only my opinion of course, but I'd strongly urge you to tell Best Buy to take a walk. Don't let them talk you into having the set calibrated. There are even some people out there that don't prefer the calibrated look at all... they actually prefer the presets on the TV since they look more 'poppy'. So calibration might be a waste of money for you anyway depending on what your expectation is on a 'proper' image, so, may as well do what you can for free, and if you don't like it you can always go back. Hope this helps!

Last edited by mzupeman2; 09-22-09 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I am looking at getting a new TV from Best Buy, but I really don't care for the way they make everything seem like it's their way or the highway, like when it is delivered, what the delivery people will and won't do, and most of all the $199 calibration that they say you either have to get done by them when it's purchased or it never happens. I am curious, as HDTVs are sold by vendors other than Best Buy and they don't all charge for calibration (Wal-Mart for instance).

I guess what I am asking is: is calibration worth it, or is it just an extra thing they try push on you like Service Plans?
If I were going to spend money on a calibration I would pay somebody who's ISF (Imaging Science Foundation)-certified to come do it. It might cost a little more, but there's no way Best Buy is going to do anything worth $199.

But I don't have the money to spend on an ISF calibration. mzupeman2's advice is well worth reading. You can find enough information at AVS and tweakTV to give you a very good picture, and you'll save enough money to buy a Blu-ray player if you don't already have one.
Old 09-23-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

A properly calibrated set is a must, especially having the brightness/contrast levels in the proper balance. It makes a huge difference, especially with movies and television shows with dark cinematography. It also ma

I would suggest that you either use the tweaktv site, or do a google search for your television (brand, model, and the word "calibrtaion") to see what comes up. You'll likely be satisfied with the results without having to shell out several hundred dollars to a professional.
Old 09-23-09, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
do a google search for your television (brand, model, and the word "calibrtaion")
Except spell "calibration" right so you get good results!
Old 09-23-09, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I would ALMOST let them do it just so I can laugh at how wrong they (probably) are, and let me videotape it and post online with my commentary. Wonder if those idiots from Circuit City who "fixed" my old TV might be working for them (first thing out of one of their mouths when they walked in was "Rabbit ears?? Don't you have cable?" and when I put on my A Video Standard laserdisc, regarded as The Holy Bible of video before Video Essentials came out, he asked "What's this, a laserdisc with test patterns and stuff?")
Old 09-23-09, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the guys that do TV calibrations are subcontractors. Turns out that when I bought my TV, the guy that did calibrations for my local Best Buy was a neighbor of mine. He calibrated 2 of my plasmas and my projector for some pizza and a case of beer.

He advised me to NEVER go through the store to get your set calibrated...also, the so called "calibration DVD's" are a waste of money. Best thing to do is either check out Craigslist, or do a web search on TV Calibration. You'll save $50-$100 easily. Keep in mind though that it does take a while to get the sets done. My 58" Samsung took about 2 1/2 hours, and my 50" Samsung took about 2 hours. Just be patient and remember to write down all the new settings so just in case your power goes out and your set goes back to the factory default, you can change it right back.
Old 09-23-09, 08:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I've been very happy with the settings posted for my set at TweakTV.
Old 09-23-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts

I agree with all the others, calibration is important but I wouldn't trust BB to do.

While I have a calibration DVD (which I disagree is a waste of time), I have had the best luck over at AVS. All my sets are calibrated per information I found there (tho on my living room set I made an ever so slight change). I'm very please with the results.

And keep in mind there may not be ONE calibration setting. You may and probably should adjust for each of your sources. Your PS3 could be and probably is different than your HD Cable/Dish which is probably different than your HD DVD player. I know on my front projector there are differences.
Old 09-23-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So when they said they are the only way to get calibration done, they were lying?
Old 09-23-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So when they said they are the only way to get calibration done, they were lying?
In a word, "Yes"
Old 09-23-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I went to TweakTV.com and didn't see my brand listed at all, so I went to the forum under the "settings requested" section, and someone had my exact model requested. The response was that it's a third-tier brand, so they don't get many calibration requests for it, therefore they didn't have any settings.

Man, I can't have anything nice! [sigh]
Old 09-23-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BASISON
He advised me to NEVER go through the store to get your set calibrated...also, the so called "calibration DVD's" are a waste of money.
If I made $400 per job in my field, and there was a DIY version that was 95% as good for $16, I'd tell you never to buy it, too.
Old 09-23-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I went to TweakTV.com and didn't see my brand listed at all, so I went to the forum under the "settings requested" section, and someone had my exact model requested. The response was that it's a third-tier brand, so they don't get many calibration requests for it, therefore they didn't have any settings.

Man, I can't have anything nice! [sigh]
Have you tried looking around at AVS?
Old 09-23-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't find my TV model with good calibration settings on TweakTV or AVS yet, grrr. I have a Sharp LC46D85U in case any kind souls out there have superior Googling skills to my own.
Old 09-23-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today I got this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218081119875

scheduled for delivery on Saturday at some point. The salesperson at Best Buy was actually quite helpful and told me that he didn't see the calibration from them as necessary (I looked at a non-calibrated sample they had, and found it impressive enough) since I was on a tight budget. I will most likely check out one of your links at that time. Thanks!

P.S. Should I go back and get the "Black Tie Protection?" My other set never had problems, but I don't want to run the risk of paying more than the set is worth to get it fixed. I typically only get the protection for computers and video game systems.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-23-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Video Essentials DVD and always found the results superb. With my last set I used AVS Forum and Tweak TV and it was a great place to start. I made a couple minor adjustments for my own taste. I dialed back the contrast by 2 and upped the tint by 2 also. Now I just know were they need to be,
Old 09-23-09, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another point to keep in mind if you buy a plasma (is this true for LCD too?) is that the phosphors change quite a bit over the first 150ish hours. Therefore, even if the Best Buy calibration was perfect on delivery day, after a while it will drift and not be correct anymore.
Old 09-24-09, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I looked at this one when I was shopping for mine and almost got it. Enjoy yours.
Old 09-29-09, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imprint
Another point to keep in mind if you buy a plasma (is this true for LCD too?) is that the phosphors change quite a bit over the first 150ish hours. Therefore, even if the Best Buy calibration was perfect on delivery day, after a while it will drift and not be correct anymore.
It is for projection systems with bulbs.
Old 10-04-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=mzupeman2;9725416]You know what I did? I went to the avsforums and did some research to see if there was an owners or calibration thread on the TV I had purchased, and usually, there is. There are people that use their own equipment on those forums to properly calibrate their sets, and they'll post the settings for you to try out. It's a GREAT starting point for people who want a properly calibrated image, and usually only minor tweaks are needed in order to achieve what would be considered 'perfect' to your eye. There's also a website out there that actually specializes in just posting calibration settings for TV's. Again, these should just be considered 'close to perfect' starting points. For example, if your TV has a warm scaled of 'warm 2, warm 1, neutral, cool', you might not like the 'warm 2' setting and go with 'warm 1' instead, it's what I did after taking the calibrations I found on avsforums, and I'm happy.

From what I understand, Best Buy's calibration experience can vary depending on the person doing it... I've heard a lot of people that were unhappy with letting Best Buy do the calibration for them.

Avsforums will save you a couple hundred bucks, and you'll most likely be happier with the end result to boot.

Just as an example, here's a calibration thread for the TV I own at avs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1020612

Also, here's TweakTV. Sometimes it takes them a while to get your set posted on there, but they usually get around to it eventually.

http://www.tweaktv.com/

QUOTE]

I have to agree as I belong to the VS Forum. great source for input and technical stuff and many do post their settings of various sets on there. In fact I used some off there for our new Sony 52" Z5100 set for DISH, BD player and Xbox 360. Nothing but impressed. Other than that get one of the DVD/BD Calibration Discs.
Old 10-05-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I've also used AVS Forum and TweakTV. After trying a few different calibrations, I found one I liked and made some minor adjustments for my viewing location.

I would never pay Best Buy, or any other company, for anything other than the TV itself.