Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Reciever not detecting DD any ideas?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Reciever not detecting DD any ideas?

Old 07-01-00, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
I searched on this and the closest post was Clouds. So I tried looking at the DVD audio output and it is showing DD. But my new Sherwood receiver (yes the RVD9090R from 800.com.) is only detecting Dolby Surround.
I'm using a optical digital TOSlink cable and the receiver's test tone pings all the speakers both front, center and both rear.

I've tried multiple discs with specific DD soundtrack options and it won't detect (turn the light on for DD on) The optical in light is on and that is the only connection I'm runninng to the DVD player. I also have the option for using a Digital Coax input and output but don't own that type of cable.
Any suggestions?
Old 07-01-00, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the COAX... My dvd player only has the COAX, so typically, i cant use the optical, so i suggest try using the coax, coz the optical is for CD/LD/MD etc. not DD/DTS

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!
Old 07-01-00, 05:23 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What DVD Player do you have?

When you say you checked the audio output, how did you do this? Through one of the setup menus, or by pressing the audio buttons on the remote?

If the latter, you might want to check the audio settings in the setup menu (some players require that a DVD be in the tray in the Stop mode to access the audio settings) and make sure the audio output is set to bitstream or digital.

Also, your player may require that you select the optical or coax digital out.

Lastly, if you want to try the digital coax connection, your player should have come with some RCA cables for the 2 channel analog audio connectors on your player. You can use one of the left or right connectors to test the digital coax connection.

Good luck.

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 07-01-00, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
Thank you Blade,
I have the sony DVPS330 or something like that. I had checked the audio menu with a disk running and it claimed 5.1 set up for the output. When I stopped the disk and hit the same Setup button it brought me to a very different menu where I could turn on DTS DD outputs. Whats the deal on Coax being able to transfer AC3/DTS? I thought it required the extra bandwith of fiber optic type lines...
Thanks again!
Jeff
Old 07-02-00, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I had the Sony DVP-550 & ran into the same problem. With the player off (not playing) you have to turn on the bitstream. And electronix_kid, what are you talking about. If your player doesn't have a fiberoptic-out, of course you couldn't use it? But fiberoptic is for DD/DTS, not just for cd/ld,etc. That's what I use for audio-out on my dvd player & HDTV, and they're both DD/DTS 5.1. From what Crutchfield & the place I bought my tv said, fiberoptic is better quality than coaxial & they only recommend coaxial if you're afraid the fiberoptic might get damaged by kids or pets because they're pretty fragile. And since you only have Pro-Logic how did you become an expert on 5.1? It's nice you're trying to help, but you're giving bad info.
Old 07-02-00, 04:39 AM

i got that sherwood, it kicks all ass, i just used the coax cable, ran it into the back, then you have to make sure the player is set to digital output, it should be, cuz mine was when i was running pro logic. Then you have to change the source by pushing the button until you hear the movie playing, it should sa coaxial if you use the coaxial cable, then press the dolby digital key on the remote or on the unit itself. It should say dolby digital on screen when running digitally. the subwoofer should also work, i cant get my subwoofer to work when i use other modes such as theatre mode. Any more question just ask, i hope i answered them.
Old 07-02-00, 12:05 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by jpcamb:
Thank you Blade,
Whats the deal on Coax being able to transfer AC3/DTS? I thought it required the extra bandwith of fiber optic type lines...
Thanks again!
Jeff
<HR>

Always glad to help. This stuff can be worse than computers sometimes. I've never understood this style of setup menu.

The digital signal is just a series of 1s and 0s. There's really no problem with coax or even a need for really expensive cables because of this. The only real difference for most people is what El Kabong said: durability. But unless you're constantly changing out your equipent or trying different HT "tweaks" this isn't usually a concern.

There are only two reasons (that I know of) to go with Fiber Optic: 1. if you have to run a really long cable, then fiber optic will have less problems with signal loss and interference. 2. This is the reason I'm using it in my HT, I like to say Toslink.