Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the current status of the Toshiba 1200 player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What's the current status of the Toshiba 1200 player?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-00, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be purchasing this player sometime in the next few weeks and was wondering: what's the current quality of this player?

Every review I've read concerning the 1200 raves about it's quality and capabilities for it's price, and yet I see several complaints concerning "firmware" on this forum. What's that all about?

I've chosen this player because it's so compatible with my Toshiba projection TV (ColorStream connections, simulated surround effects for 2.0 speakers -- which is all I have at the moment).....much moreso than my current DVD player.

[This message has been edited by Galactus (edited June 28, 2000).]
Old 06-29-00, 12:21 AM

Unless you buy from someplace that has a large stock, you should get the newest firmware.

I ordered mine from Amazon around two weeks ago and I have the newest firmware (1.5).
Old 06-29-00, 07:24 AM

Even 1.5 isn't perfect though, having problems with Matrix's "white rabbit" sequence, and The Abyss, in the pseudo-pod multiangle (i think 1.5 is suseptible to this) No player is perfect though you must understand, Panasonic, Sony, RCA, Kenwood, JVC, et cetera. The more money you spend the better teh quality the player, image wise, and testing and compibility wise.

That said, for the money, I think most people in this forum would argue you can't find a much better DVD player for the dirt cheap price an SD-1200 can be had for. And hey, firmware is always upgradeable ... maybe by the time you buy 1.7 will be out (not that you'll be able to get an offcial word, its just something you have to stumble onto ... myself, I have 1.3 currently)

Cheers,
Mike

------------------
DVD's ARE Addictive
Old 06-29-00, 01:50 PM

Okay. Thanks guys......sounds good.

But one other question: What exactly is "firmware"??

And why is this particular model the only one I've heard this problem related to? Don't other models also have "firmware" that needs to be upgraded periodically? I had never heard of "upgradable firmware" until this whole thing with the SD1200 was brought to my attention.
Old 06-29-00, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

If I were you. I would NOT buy a Toshiba. Whoever said "You can always upgrade firmware" is wrong. If you are past your warranty, you don't get a free firmware update. You must send in the player, at your expense, and they send you one (not your original) that has the update, for $50.

I am now stuck with a 3108 that I am starting to have trouble playing discs with.

Toshiba's are notorious with this firmware issue!!!
Old 06-29-00, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, ghachey. I've taken your advice and the advice of others and will consider other options.

How about the Sony DVP-S360? It offers the same features and costs only slightly more. Sounds like a good machine and I've never had trouble with any Sony product in the past.

[This message has been edited by Galactus (edited June 29, 2000).]
Old 06-30-00, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sony is a good choice. I have had the DVP-S300 for over one and a half years and so far no hardware problems or software incompatibility problems.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 07-01-00, 09:51 PM

The best toshiba is the SD2109, no huge firmware problems, DD/DTS output, low price... great player