DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Any suggestion for home theather speakers? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/56167-any-suggestion-home-theather-speakers.html)

Vico 06-25-00 11:30 PM

HI

I made my home theather with no much knowledge of what is right and what isn´t so could anybody help me to choose the rigth speakers?

I actually own a Bose Acoustimass 4 home theather system (for left, central and rigth speakers) an Onkio speakers for the surround and the woofer.

Thanks for all your help

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~OżO~ |

BilboBaggins 06-26-00 12:57 AM

Well, I'm an Infinity fan, How about RS5's for the front, CC2 or CC3 for center, and RS2's or RS3's for the rears. Infinity makes some decent satellite speakers that really sound good too, I think they're the US1's? can't remember the name.

For a sub, I wouldn't get an Infinity though, their BU120 and bu150 sucks.

Morrow373 06-26-00 02:44 PM

I have the BU-120 sub and it kicks!! For under 200 bucks what do you expect? It's the best value in it's price class.......

B-

vlad 06-26-00 04:22 PM

How much money do you want to spend?

I can suggest a set of 5 speakers that retail around $9,000.

Give us your budget.

Chili Palmer 06-26-00 06:37 PM

www.monitoraudio.com

check out their silver line-----amazing, and the asw210 sub is a thumper. 2 10" subs, one downfiring and the other facing you. fun stuff

Vico 06-26-00 07:23 PM

Hi

My budget is about 1,000 dls....by the way how much do you think I could sell my bose speakers?

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~OżO~ |

John Sy 06-26-00 07:35 PM

I was able to sell my Acoustimass 10, five speaker system for $630 to this guy on E-Bay. My brother said I didn't just rip this guy off, I raped him. Hey, if he's willing to pay $630 for that pile of junk, who am I to stop him??

Anyway, I hope that helps to serve as a point of refernece. Good luck in selling your speakers.

DVDho78DTS 06-26-00 07:48 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BilboBaggins:
Well, I'm an Infinity fan, How about RS5's for the front, CC2 or CC3 for center, and RS2's or RS3's for the rears. Infinity makes some decent satellite speakers that really sound good too, I think they're the US1's? can't remember the name.

For a sub, I wouldn't get an Infinity though, their BU120 and bu150 sucks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said! I have Infinity RS5's, RS3's, CC3 & a Cerwin Vega 12" sub. It sounds amazing! I paid 1,070 and about 1,200 after shipping for all 6. I got good deals on them at the time, but you could probably get them for that price if not a little cheaper now.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will. I've got spare time.--Tommy Callahan

vlad 06-27-00 11:54 AM

Your budget is what you have available. The strategy is what is important. Are you on a limited budget now and wish to splurge later? Or, Can you buy really nice stuff now and add to it later?

My point is, good speakers will last many years; it is best to buy good stuff so you do not have to replace it later. There are many good speaker brands out there, and you really have to listen to them to know which is right for you. When I bought mine, I knew I wasn't moving from my house for a while and I wanted speakers that would last for a long time, so I bought expensive stuff. I didn't buy it all at once, I bought the left and right (replacing the stereo speakers) and later I added the center and surrounds. I spent more than I wanted to, but I did not consider the money when I was buying. I was considering the speaker and the needs of my theater, the place I lived and the way I used my stereo.

The reason I did not buy all of them at once, is I could not afford to do so. Now back to your question. How much is enough. I think you should shop for speakers, without looking at price, and find two or three different types that you like and then decide on a strategy for you theater money wise. The main reason I suggest this is, you have told us what your budget is so we won't mention a $1,500 set; you may listen to this on your own and decide that is the one and buy that system ove a six month period. A dollar amont limits your choices, have fun and listen to the $5,000 speakers and then listen to the $500 speakers; you'll know wheather you can hear $4500 difference and that will help set your budget.

jpcamb 06-27-00 02:22 PM

I for one am a big fan of Cambridge Soundworks. I have the Ensamble II, a matched center channel and an old pair of their surround speakers which I'm close to upgrading to thier 5.1 dipoles. 10 year warrenty and they will usally let you trade for upgrade for close to 2 years after the your purchase. It sounds great and does not take up too much space. You can do extremely well for the money you want to spend. Local stores also offer refurbished speakers for even better savings.

tdamico 06-27-00 07:54 PM

I have Infinity Overture 2's for mains, CC2 for center and RS4's for effects. But...I also have an Infinity HPS-250 sub and it rocks.

hahn 06-28-00 04:51 AM

vlad makes some excellent points. here's my 2 cents: if you have a $1000 budget and you just wanna do the whole shebang at once, i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Energy Take 5 system. Comes with 5 speakers (duh) fronts, rears,and center. I believe it goes for around $500 at www.audioshop.on.ca.
Another $300 for the 10" Energy e:xls-10 and you're good to go (assuming you have good speaker cables).
check out the reviews for this speaker setup (and others) at www.audioreview.com.
or at www.epinions.com - although Energy speakers are not listed yet. i wrote the first review of it and you can check it out by searching out my profile - it's listed under there. my username is flux73.
good luck...

bfrank 06-29-00 10:41 PM

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/smile.gif

notjafo 06-30-00 11:44 AM

All that we can help you do is identify what we like, you have to go listen to see what sounds good to you. that said, I have just done what you are doing with about the same budget, and with a focus on haveing speakers that were first and foremost good speakers for music, and second for HT. I auditioned the Jamo, Energy, Paradigm, and PSB and ended up w/ the PSB Alpa A/Vs. for around $200 a pair they may be the best bargain around for high quality sound. I put together 4 of them (i could have saved some money and used the mites or midi in he rear) along with their center channel (the larger of the two) and the Subsonic 5 for less than 900. The PSB's have been reviewed twice in the last 4 months in Stereophile, as well as in Home theater magazine.

Vico 06-30-00 12:27 PM

Hi

May I ask why nobody suggest me a Bose system? is not that good?

Thanks

jorak 06-30-00 12:40 PM

Bose is very overpriced compared to similar quality setups like the Energy or Paradigms. Not many here will recommend bose. They are more Advertising than quality.

Chili Palmer 06-30-00 12:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vico:
Hi

May I ask why nobody suggest me a Bose system? is not that good?

Thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bose isn't really that good when look at the grander scope of things. There are plenty of better sounding speakers out there. When you ask a serious HT or audiofile geek what they think of Bose you'll get a little chuckel and a shake of the head. I used to work at a HT store and they sold a lot of Bose systems to the everyday average consumer. The only real appeal they have is that they're tiny and they will fit in any room.

Bose Pro 06-30-00 02:25 PM

Bose does not make the "best" speakers. They do make a good speaker though. One of the strongest selling points for Bose is the speaker size. A lot of people do not want tower speakers and a huge 12" sub. They want something small, concealed, and have it still sound great.

Other companies know this. That's why there are so many companies making small 5 speaker systems. It's not because this type of setup is the best, it's because it sells. And that is what speaker companies want, money.

I work for Bose and I'm being completely honest. I don't recommend Bose on this forum, not because I don't think you would be happy with it, but because it starts wars in the forum. A lot of people on here are diehard Bose haters. And that's OK, everyone has an opinion.

What I would say to you: take all these suggestions to heart. Take the time to go out and really demo all the speakers suggested. Bring your own CD's. Why listen to a demo with Classical if all you listen to is Metallica? Make sure the speaker system you choose fits your lifestyle. This will be something you shoul have for a long time.

If you still want a Bose suggestion, it would be, without any doubt, the Acoustimass 15. It comes with 5 small double rotating cubes and a powered sub that encloses 2 5 1/4" woofers. It retails for $1299 at all stores and is on sale currently for $1199. Also you can pick one up at a Bose outlet for about a grand right now. Give a listen.

Good luck.

Jeff

------------------
My Site

audrey 07-01-00 03:50 PM

Perfect Vision has a nice review this month of 3 inexpensive systems: Gallo, Energy, & Polk. Worth a read.

Also in the low cost camp are NHT Super Zero & PSB Mini's.

Regardless of which speakers to go with, I recommend buying locally from a dealer that will let you try at home for a period of time. That way you can hear what the system sounds like w/ your equipment in your room.