Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A question for those of you who have or know about sattelite TV.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A question for those of you who have or know about sattelite TV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-00, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning on getting satellite TV. I was wondering if the technician has to hook up the satellite reciever box to the VCR/TV or whether it is user installable. Is it just a matter of connecting the sattelite cable to the satellite reciever box and then connecting a cable from the box to the VCR/TV?

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 06-27-00, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everything is user-installable. When I purchased my Dish Network system last summer, it took less than 3 hours, start to finish, to run the cable, connect the receiver, install/aim the dish, and activate the service. Pretty simple, and definitely not worth spending the $100 installation charge.

Robo
Old 06-27-00, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
If your comfortable on a ladder and at least reasonably handy around hte house then you should be able to hook it up your self. As far as the connection to the TV you'll probably need a tv with two S video inputs (one for the DVD and one for the satalite) or a reciever capable of S video switching. You can use coax or RCA cables but the best picture will be from S video. I installed mine in a few hours with the help of a friend and the toughest part was aiming the dish. I'll warn you though with all those channels you may still need cable for the local weather channel acces as well as all chanels besides ABC, NBC, CBS adn Fox ie no UPN, WB etc.
Old 06-27-00, 07:00 PM

If I have an S-VHS vcr with S-Video, a reciever with S-Video switching, a DVD player connected currently to my TV's only S-Video input how the the satellite connection hook up in this situation. Is it satellite connection to VCR S-Video input, VCR to reciever S-Video input, reciever to TV S-Video input?

------------------

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 06-27-00, 07:50 PM

In your situation, this is what I would recommend (and I also did this). Go out and buy a S-Video splitter. Mine is made by RCA. It takes in 6 A/V connections and send out one. I have my VCR, DSS, DVD, and PS all hooked up through this with S-Video. Then I sent the "out" on the switcher to the input on my TV. This is easier than trying to run everything through a VCR and gives a simple solution to future S-Video components. BTW, my splitter was $60 and works off remote control.

Best of Luck.
Old 06-27-00, 07:51 PM

Never mind the post prior to this one...duh! I guess I should read more carefully!

What you have done will work fine. Although it will be neater if you can run the DSS straight into the receiver like you VCR.
Old 06-27-00, 10:30 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bose Pro:
Never mind the post prior to this one...duh! I guess I should read more carefully!

What you have done will work fine. Although it will be neater if you can run the DSS straight into the receiver like you VCR.
<HR>

This may be a stupid question. If I run the DSS straight into my reciever then how can I record programs on my VCR?

------------------

Old 06-28-00, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
To my knowledge you can't receord if you go directly to your tv. It sounds to me you have the setup right in your post, use the revceiver as the switcher and tie your DVD player into the reciver as well. The revciever into the TV and you should be set.
good luck!!
Old 06-28-00, 02:48 PM

Your DSS box should have 2 A/V outputs. Send one to your TV and the other into you VCR input. Also send your VCR to the TV. This worked for me.

------------------
My Site
Old 06-28-00, 02:51 PM

If you have your satellite going s-video into your surround receiver, and also have an output from your receiver to your input in the vcr, it should record fine. This is how I have mine set up. most receivers require that all inputs be either RCA or Svideo, i.e. you cannot have one RCA and 1 svideo and expect them to talk to each other.

------------------
You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime.
My DVD's
Old 06-28-00, 05:12 PM

With the JVC JXS300 switchbox you can transform composite into s-video and use a single s-vid cable to your TV. My Toshiba TV has both s-video and composite, but can only accept one or the other type and not both. Luckily the JVC switchbox solved that problem for me. I run the satellite receiver straight into the VCR with composite and the s-vid-out on the satellite receiver into the switchbox. The VCR uses composite into the switchbox. I noticed the satellite actually looks better going through the VCR/switchbox setup. I think the switchbox added a comb filter or something that actually improved the composite signals from the VCR. When viewing the s-vid directly from the satellite receiver/swithbox, the image looks real grainy, but the same source viewed through the VCR looks smoother and less jagged.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~bencjedi