Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Picture flickers when hooked through receiver, can anyone help?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Picture flickers when hooked through receiver, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-00, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basicly the problem is that when my dvd player is connected to my Sony Receiver I get an occasional flicker/jump on the screen. It usually happens when there is a boom, or loud noise of some sort. But I only have a 50 watt subwoofer, and when I turn it off this still occurs.

When I hook it through the television, the flicker doesn't occur, but then of course I'm not getting surround sound anymore. Anyone ever have this problem? I could really use your help. Thanks!

-mike
Old 06-26-00, 06:25 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you connecting to the receiver? Audio and video or audio only? Also, 2 ch analog or dolby digital?

Have you tried a different cable?

Has it been working ok and just started exhibiting this problem or has it always been like this?

Can you try connecting the player to a different receiver/TV combo?

------------------
David, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 06-27-00, 02:11 AM
Cool New Member

Ok, I am connecting audio and video cables to my Sony dolby digital receiver. I haven't tried different wires because I assume they are fine since they work when connected to the inputs on the tv. I've only had my receiver for 2 months (it was part of a home theater package) and it's always done this. Of course it just does it occasionally. Just during certain scenes in the movie.
I don't have this problem with anything else thats hooked to my receiver.
Old 06-27-00, 05:19 AM
Uber Member

What if you hook the video directly to the TV and the audio to the reciever? Does it still happen then?

Do you have any other free video inputs on the reciever? Have you tried using them? Or if you have a VCR, switching the video ins between the VCR and the DVD?

This might be hard to pin down, because it could be a couple of things. It's possible that the higher resolution of the DVD output is causing your TV to "choke up" when a really bright scene comes on (you might try lowering the brightness on your TV too).

Or, it could be that there's something wrong with the video switching electronics in the receiver, or the audio electronics (which may be causing problems with the video).

Your best bet is to try to isolate the problem to either your TV or receiver. I'm thinking it's the receiver because it doesn't happen when you bypass it. Try the video to TV and audio to receiver to narrow it down to the video or audio components in the receiver.

Then try to come up with a scene that regularly causes the problem and take it into the repair shop with an explanation (in writing would possibly be helpful) of what you've done so far.

Good luck!

------------------
Old 06-27-00, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that it is an error within your receiver!!!! Good Luck!!! I would contact the manufacturer to see if they have had documented problems with this receiver.
Old 06-27-00, 06:24 PM
Uber Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
I would say that it is an error within your receiver!!!! Good Luck!!! I would contact the manufacturer to see if they have had documented problems with this receiver.<HR>

Hmm. Interesting user name.

Along these lines, you might want to check the reviews for your receiver and TV over at www.audioreview.com to see if others have reported similar problems with your models.

------------------