Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever tried that anamorphic squeeze trick?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Has anyone ever tried that anamorphic squeeze trick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-00, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 32" jvc tv and just tried the anamorphic squeeze trick yesterday and I was blown away. I printed out some instructions i got off hometheaterforum.com and they were centered around jvc tvs, it was easy to do and I really could tell the difference. Has anyone else tried this trick? I like to hear some thoughts.
Old 06-22-00, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have not do you have to change the settings back for regular tv ?

------------------
Ford Fairlane: You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment in your life!

Michael
Wow Look at all those DVD's
And those are cool CD's
Old 06-22-00, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah....you have to go back to the service menu and change the settings back to watch regular tv OR if you are going to watch a non-anamorphic dvd. This is really easy to do and not a hassle. For me you just have to remember the Verticle hight setting. I know that it works because for example I set it up using The Thin Red Line, which has a gorgeous transfer, then I put in die hard which is not enhanced for 16x9 and the image is distorted. The idea is an anamorphic dvd has 33% more resolution than a regular dvd. This squeeze trick will give us some of that extra resolution but not all of it. It really does work and it looks good!
Old 06-22-00, 12:28 PM
ripthorne

I've done it.

I only dont know if I want to leave it like that. IT IS a hassle when you want to change back and forth as frequently as I do. I think I'll leave it the way it was til I get a widescreen TV.

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!
-- Aren't you one of those guys. What guys? Those guy guys, you know those guys with skills? Skills? Yeah, You send them out into the wilderness with a pocket knife & a Q-Tip & they build you a shopping mall, you can't do that? No, I can't do that.
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet
Old 06-22-00, 02:52 PM

How does one try this trick?

I have a Panasonic 32" bought in 99.
Old 06-22-00, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I do the squeeze for my Toshiba 36" TV and it works great. It only takes a few seconds to change it from one setting to the other in the service menu and the difference it makes is very clear. Also, since I'm using a Toshiba DVD player I can avoid its awful downconversion of 16:9 material to 4:3.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 06-22-00, 05:21 PM

Where can I get instructions on how to do this?

------------------
You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime.
My DVD's
Old 06-22-00, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

give me a sec....i will find it
Old 06-22-00, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are a few links that will help. Like I said I have a jvc tv, and for some reason they are real easy to perform this trick on. I guess the main thing is to figure out how to get in to your service mode. From there you need to adjust the verticle height.
http://gregl.net/videophile/16x9on4x3.htm http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/16x9.html http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...menu_sony.html (for sony)

Here is a post from a guy named Max over at www.hometheaterforum.com He goes into good detail and I used his post to configure my tv. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN YOUR INITIAL SETTINGS BEFOR YOU TWEAK EVERYTHING!!!

As for the Squeeze Trick here is what I found and How I came up with the right numbers for my set. Others may vary slightly. I did as mentioned above to get into the service menu.
I put in an Anamorphic disc with the player set to 4:3 and started playing the disc. The picture was nice and sharp. I then took 2 pieces of scotch brand tape TM and stuck them to the side of the tv so that the bottom edge of the top piece and the top edge of the bottom piece clearly marked exactly where the
letter box bars are. I then shut the DVD down and switched the player screen setup to 16:9 and restarted the movie. Of course now everyone was tall and skinny so I went into the service menu and selected picture scrolled down to V-Size and turned it from 43 down to 0. This got me close but not quite to full squeeze so I then scrolled down to the next setting V-S CR and I went from its current setting of 15 and cranked it up to 63 which then had me squeezed a bit to much so I backed it off t0 56 and it the black bars lined up just right with the scotch brand tape TM and anyone that looked would clearly see the improvement in the picture.
So I might play around with these things once I set all the service menu items just right with VE and it's test patterns but I think these mumbers will work on my set as is unless I play with the picture centering and overscan at all. Now the only flaw with the picture was 2 short white lines each was about an inch and half long that where on the bottom edge of the top letterbox bar. The post above seemed to make it sound like there was something at the edge of the screen but on the screen edges everything was clear. These 2 white lines on the were just a little annoying but I think I could learn to live with them but I am kind of hoping that they might just be in the transfer of the disc I was using. BTW disc I used for this was Dracula Canoe Reeves. So I will try it latter one with some other discs and see if the lines are there with them too. Over all I would have to say it was mostly succes and damn near perfect with a chance of being perfect with a change of DVDs. BTW again I really like the idea of adjusting the color, tint and brightness in the service menu and leaving the sliders at their middle postion because this basically allows you to have it set for component input and a seperate one for the s-vid and makes it easy to correct if someone should come along and play with your
settings or if you just need to change the settings for one movie because of something in the transfer when you are done you just return it to the center postion.

Old 06-22-00, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a 32" Sony Trinitron and use the anamorphic squeeze trick. My pioneer DVD player automatically squeezes the picture, so I don't have to do it each time. On my initial setup screen I can choose from letterbox or widescreen, so I naturally choose widescreen to squeeze the picture. If I am watching a non-anamorphic DVD the player recognizes it as a widescreen disc and doesn't distort the picture. I think it looks great on my TV, and this way my friends and I can enjoy the movie even more.

------------------
DVDjunkie21's DVD List l My Pic
If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will. I've got spare time.--Tommy Callahan
Old 06-24-00, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've done it, but it's too much of a PITA to consistently do it, and then change the settings back, ad nauseum.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 06-25-00, 11:25 PM

Does anyone do this on a RPTV? I've tried it on my Toshiba 50" and the picture was distorted - the black bars were no longer straight, and the guns were not aligned at the periphery.