DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Blu Ray HTIB

Old 08-31-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu Ray HTIB

Okay. I just got an HDTV (there is a thread) and I'm jonesing for Blu Ray. My cheap home theater only has one optical audio input and one coaxial audio input. Those two are taken by my HD DVR and my Region Free DVD, so I figure the easiest way to upgrade to Blu Ray and keep all of my stuff, is to get rid of the home theater I have and get a Blu Ray home theater. There are a couple in contention. The Samsung HT-BD1250 which has two optical audio inputs and would accommodate my current rig, and the LG LHB977 which has two HDMI inputs so I could route everything through the receiver without having to mess with too many remotes. These are the two front runners because they both stream Netflix, which is a requirement. The prices are both around $500-$550, which is about my budget (which I'm still raising). I know that any HTIB is not going to compare with a component system, but money is tight. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or any similar systems?
Old 08-31-09, 08:43 PM

Re: Blu Ray HTIB

I don't have an answer on the two choices, but I have something you should consider...

If the only problem with the cheaper option is the number of remotes, put the extra $50 or so into a great universal remote.
The cheapest Logitech Harmony models run about $60-$80. They were on sale in the $40 range last Black Friday, if you want to wait a little while for the remote convenience and think that deal might come around again.
Old 08-31-09, 09:10 PM

One question I have is whether or not there is a difference between the audio from Optical inputs vs. HDMI connection. Would an HDMI connection from my DVD player yield better sound through a receiver than an optical connection?
Old 09-01-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From DVD, no. But you'll need HDMI* to benefit from the HD audio formats available on Blu-ray (Dolby True HD and DTS-MA), because neither optical nor coax can handle the bandwidth.

* You can also use analog connections from your Blu-ray player to your receiver if your Blu-ray is capable of decoding the HD audio formats internally.
Old 09-01-09, 06:11 AM

My current receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, which is why I think that getting a HTIB with a Blu Ray player is probably my best option at this point. I simply don't have the money for a Blu Ray player AND a new HTIB.
Old 09-01-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I never recommend HTiB systems. Even though those are cheap, some seem to get reasonable reviews, I think for a little more money, careful shopping you can get significantly better.

Having said that, the one piece I'm not familiar with is the netflex on the BD player. I do not know the cost of those players.
Old 09-01-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you should know about LG and Samsung...They are very slow on firmware updates. Also if you call customer service for both, they tend to be not very knowledgeable.

Maybe wait until you have a greater budget. $1000. for a Onkyo HTIB is a really good price. I know waiting sucks, but do this right and you won't regret it. Make sure the HDMI cables are spec 1.3 or higher to decode lossless audio. The more HDMI inputs the better.