DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV 16:9?

Old 06-20-00, 03:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that in the menu of my Sony A50 DirecTV unit, there was an option to set it to 16:9 or 4:3. I have a 4:3 TV, but I am wondering, if I had a 16:9 TV and I used the 16:9 setting, would the picture be squashed like usual or will it actually be in 16:9 like DVDs? Hope that made sense. Thanks.

------------------
InsaniT
My DVD Library
Old 06-20-00, 11:30 PM

I am not familiar with the Sony A50, so I can't directly answer your question. But I do have a RCA DTC-100 which is a HD DirectTV STB with capabilities for 16:9 and 4:3.

Generally speaking, you will not get a 16:9 "DVD like" image unless the signal is 16:9 and is set for a 4:3 display. The same signal will display a "squashed" anamorphic image if the display is set to 16:9 with a 16:9 image. But then again, this may just be the DTC, which was made with digital/HD in mind and is only able to do this with the lastest firmware. This is pretty cool for making anamorphic SVHS recordings of HD programs -- not nearly as good as HD, but works pretty well and correctly maintains the 16:9 image.

This is all kind of moot since there are very few actual 16:9 broadcast images, ie. anamorphic rather than letterbox. Why don't you give it a try on your Sony and report back?

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 06-22-00, 05:06 PM
Cool New Member

I will as soon as I get a 16:9 TV. That should happen by the end of summer... I hope.

------------------
InsaniT
My DVD Library
Old 06-23-00, 12:10 AM

No need to wait! Just flip the switch and see what happens! You're likely to either get a 4:3 windowed box or see no change (assuming of course it is a 4:3 signal).

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 06-23-00, 06:29 PM
steak

I have a regular Sony 35" tv and switched mine from 4:3 to 16:9 and noticed no changes in the picture on anything I have watched. So I don't think you can tell the difference unless you have a 16:9 screen. Even Letterbox PPV looks the same as letterbox from my DVD player