Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need a fan to cool my receiver.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need a fan to cool my receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-00, 04:15 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to mount a fan over top of my sony receiver and plug it into the switched outlet on the back of it. I went to radio shack and found a suitable fan in 4" and 3" size, but they said they didn't have any kind of AC adapter to work with them and all they could do is sell me the parts to sodder on to it. That is too much work for me. What are you guys using?

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 06-19-00, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you go to a computer junk shop (used computers) and buy an AC one? You might also look for an electonics junk shop see what they have.
Old 06-19-00, 05:13 PM

I agree with vlad, getting an AC one would be easiest. When I did this I used a DC one, and just used a cheapo AC/DC converter that I found. All you need is a small 9-12V power supply, if you have any broken phones, answering machines, etc. you could probably use on of those.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.
Old 06-19-00, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a little personal fan unit, like a 6" or something like that... Anyhoo, it has clip on it so you can attach it to a desk, bookshelf, whatever. I put it in my rack above the receiver grill at a good angle for the best airflow... Then I plugged it into a power strip and let her rip... It runs much cooler now...

You can probably find one at Target, K-Mart or Wally World if you look around...

[This message has been edited by Johnny Zhivago (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-19-00, 06:16 PM

Are sony's really that bad on overheating?
Old 06-19-00, 07:33 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Morrow373:
Are sony's really that bad on overheating?<HR>
YES!

I have a 12" fan behind mine and it still fades in and out if I play it really loud for an hour or so.

------------------
Moderator and reigning post king @ www.clubsi.com
Old 06-19-00, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Over here in the City That Never Sleeps..the weather has been getting hot. My Yamaha 795 gets so extremely hot when I play two dvd movies. I am looking also for a small fan.

This topic is cool!
Old 06-19-00, 10:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone post a link if they find anything online. I haven't had any luck. I'll have to check around for one of those clip fans. There aren't any used computer stores around here that I know of, and I haven't found any ac computer fans anywhere. I've heard of people buying the 4" fan and an ac adapter at Radio Shack, but the employee said they didn't have anything that would work. If anyone has bought a set up from them please post the part #'s. Thanks.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old 06-20-00, 03:24 AM

Another kind of neat idea if you're handy with a soldering iron is to go to radio shack and pick up their small LCD thermometer. I don't know the model #, but it is a 16 X 2 if I remember correctly. It has alarms on it that when a set temp is reached go high sending 1.5V DC that you can use a relay or transistor to switch on a fan. I built a nice case for it and my fan and just set it on top of my reciever. It kept it running in the low 80's F no matter what I played on it. I scrapped it because I was planning to make some cosmetic improvements and never got around to putting it back together, maybe I'll give it a shot again sometime.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.

[This message has been edited by dchaug (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old 06-20-00, 12:03 PM

Here is an idea that I have done for routers and switches in cabinets that you could use for cooling your receiver.

Go to Radio Shack and get an AC fan. Go to their connectors and get a lamp cord plug and some lamp cord. Solder the lamp cord to the wires on the AC fan and then the plug will just crimp on the other end. Thats all there is to it.

Of course test it on a regular outlet before plugging it into your receiever. Also I have noticed that AC fans run quieter.

If you already have a DC fan and want an adapter find one that has at least 500 ma (.5 amps). You will probably have to cut the end off and splice the wires and may have to play with polarity (otherwise the fan may run backwards and not be effective).

[This message has been edited by bberdine (edited June 20, 2000).]