Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home Theater on a college student budget

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home Theater on a college student budget

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-00, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a college student, I don't have a whole lot of extra cash to throw into a nice home theater. With what I can scrap up, I think my best bet is a system in the price range of $500- $700. If anyone has some suggestions on a complete package (receiver, speakers, and subwoofer), I'd love to hear it. And I know I should save up some more money and really invest in some high-end equipment, but I just want something that sounds good and will get me through these college years.

------------------
-----------------------
"Mein fuhrer, I can walk!"
Old 06-14-00, 11:12 PM

At best buy they have a panasonic complete home theather with a built in dvd player in the receiver and it has dolby digital too! It has a sub and center rears and front speakers. If this isnt a good deal then what is. It cost 600.00 dollars. Is that what you were looking for?
Old 06-14-00, 11:16 PM

neo247,

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm still open for other suggestions also. Anyone heard good things about Kenwood's HTB's?
Old 06-14-00, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i got Sony's DAV-s300... dts receiver and dvd player all in one and comes with 5 speakers and the sub... easy as hell to setup.... its like the panasonic one but 100 dollars cheaper and its smaller.

------------------
------------
Mark Jones
My new website

My small, slowly but surely expanding DVD collection
Old 06-15-00, 12:42 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up a sony str-de835 and a sony s-something-315 speaker package for under 600 at Sears a couple weeks ago. Had a sale, plus 6 months same as cash and I got an extra 10% off on the receiver b/c it was a floor model.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 06-15-00, 02:18 AM
AW

Do not forget to consider the Toshiba 6109C (combination Onkyo 50 WPC DD/DTS Receiver and Toshiba DVD player). I do not know what it is available for these days, but I picked one up for around $280 at Mobshop a while back when they still had 20% off coupons. It probably still can be had for around 350 when it is in a buy cycle -- also, try the DVD Talk VStore http://www.vstore.com/cgi-bin/pagege...2&catID=18065. At the VStore the price is $399, but you can get $20 off using coupon code 39613PRMT until tomorrow.

Here is a description of the 6109C
50 Watts x 5 Channel Amplifier will fill your living room with spacious wrap around sound while still having enough headroom to spare for special effects and explosions!

Built-in Dolby Digital, Pro Logic, DTS, PCM Decoder delivers total video surround decoding compatibility in one single package for maximum flexibility. Bring the sonic realism, accurate spatiality, and rumbling bass of 5.1 channel audio into your living room.

Digital AM/FM Stereo Tuner with 30 Presets delivers clear FM Stereo reception plus the convenience of 30 station presets for your favorite programs.

ColorStream Component Video Outputs deliver the highest level of picture quality by allowing the video signal to be transferred and processed in separate elements. Toshiba pioneered the inclusion of component video as a feature because of its remarkable detail, pleasing color purity, and enhanced artifact-free picture resolution. While your present television probably doesn't have component video inputs, chances are that your next television will include them. Most of Toshiba's 1999 television line-up includes ColorStream component video inputs.

3 DSP (Digital Signal Processing) Modes lets you tailor the sound the way you like it when playing audio programs from CDs or tapes by digitally enhancing the audio signal for different effects. Select from Party, Hall, and Expanded.

10-Bit 27 MHz Video D/A Conversion provides rapid processing of the video signal with less signal loss, ensuring maxmum image resolution and images free of artifacts.

DVD/Receiver Unified Remote gives you full operational control of the DVD player and the receiver.

2 Video / 2 Audio Inputs Besides selecting from the built-in DVD player and AM/FM tuner, you can connect 2 VCRs, an audio tape deck, and an auxillairy audio source to the unit.

Old 06-15-00, 02:46 AM
Cool New Member

Man, I am college student I and if you already got speakers, u can get some pretty cool stuff.

I just did this, now the components i got aren't brand new, but i did get some sweet deals, just gotta be patient.

1.) DD/DTS reciever. I just got a Harman Kardon AV300 reciever for about $380 shipped. Found on ebay, 1 month old unit. Found it by searching past auctions for the going prices, and found an auction that go NO bids, Emailed the dude with a offer and accepted it. THis is kinda risky, (it was my first time spending this much money on ebay) but it worked out and I am enjoying it thoughouly.

2. DVD player. Panasonic DVD-A115. Good DVD, (don't play CDRs, though) got it on Ubid.com for $140 bucks. They still have some, I saw it up on a auction last night. These were factory refurbs, with 90 warrenties. I think as long it works out of the box, no probs, and so far no probs. I have had it nearly a month, and have watched maybe 15 movies on it. Good unit for the price.

3. Speakers, This is where it is going to hurt. (I already had speakers) Depending on what u want (huge floor speakers or satellites). Personally, I am in to home theater, and satellites+sub is great way to go. I have the 4 Infinity Minuettes and a infinity Center channel. Sub is infinity 8" powered. I saw the the center channel, and 2 satellites going for about 85 bucks on ebay about 3 weeks ago, check under: Infinity Minuette

Don't know how much a sub is going to cost. I already had all the speakers....

Add in speaker stands for for 40 bucks a pair and u can get everything under 800 bucks or so. But that might be pushin it. Don't worry about going to fast, though, slowly build it up. Get a DVD first, and use it with your tv. Then get the reciever, and maybe just a center channel, and 2 sattelites+sub...

pick up the other s later.....

forcemac
Old 06-15-00, 03:21 AM

I forgot to mention I already have a DVD player (Toshiba SD-2109). Sorry about that. So all in all I'm just looking for an audio system to complete my home theater setup. Still looking for $500-$700 range though. Thanks
Old 06-15-00, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Best Audio Package is the

Energy Take 5 system, The reviews are everywhere, nothing but excellent reviews

You get front, center, , back speakers
for less then $500, You can get these for under $350 easy,
http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/e...nds.html#TAKE5

Also get a good dd/dts reciever, and you got a high end system, the above systems dont compare to this.

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited June 15, 2000).]
Old 06-15-00, 08:27 AM
ripthorne

Sony Satellite Speakers w/ Sub $300 (wait for an 800 coupon) http://www.800.com/prod.asp?T=242&C=309&p=3292

Sony DTS/Dolby Reciever $300
URL=http://www.800.com/prod.asp?T=241&C=241&p=3285]http://www.800.com/prod.asp?T=241&C=241&p=3285[/URL]

------------------
-- I HATE dead people.
-- There's a reason why writers don't live very long. Yeah, people like you, 'cause you're the devil. Why don't you finally admit it? Say it! "I'm the devil!" Say it!

-- Aren't you one of those guys. What guys? Those guy guys, you know those guys with skills? Skills? Yeah, You send them out into the wilderness with a pocket knife & a Q-Tip & they build you a shopping mall, you can't do that? No, I can't do that.
My Cheesy DVD List..., my webpage isn't done yet

[This message has been edited by ripthorne (edited June 15, 2000).]
Old 06-15-00, 10:39 AM
AW

Onkyo 575 DD/DTS refurb receiver at Sound City for $299 shipped is a great deal.