Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTS vs. Dolby Digital 5.1???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS vs. Dolby Digital 5.1???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-00, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I can do a search for this stuff, so please don't flame, but some of the articles had more info than my small mind could comprehend. All I really want to know is:

I have a regular surround sound stereo system, want to upgrade to digital at some point, but Jaws is released it Dolby Digital and DTS. What's the difference, and could my dvd player(philips) and receiver(JVC) output either one, or does there tend to be a problem with certain receivers/dvd players being able to output certain formats? Also which format is better? I want to have the better DVD whether it DTS or Dolby Digital, but I want it to be able to play on my current system, and when I get a better system, I don't want it to not give me the full effects that I could have on my new system.

Hopefully someone understands all that and can give me an answer.

Thanks

Ben
Old 06-08-00, 03:29 PM

Ben,

if by "regular" surround sound system you mean "Pro-Logic", then unless you have 5.1 channel inputs in the back of the receiver, you will not get DD5.1 or DTS. Your receiver and DVD player (you did not list the models) should have the dolby digital or DTS emblems on the front of them if they are capable of these formats. If your receiver is dolby digital ready, then you will need an external decoder for DD5.1 or DTS. this decoding could also be handled by a DVD player with the decoders built into it. otherwise, you will need a new receiver with DD5.1 and DTS decoding. also, some earlier DVD players were not capable of passing the DTS format. Your DVD player manual should tell you if it is capable or not.

As far as which is better (DD5.1 or DTS) i prefer DTS because i think the sound is clearer and much more encompassing. But DTS disks tend not to include many extras, if any. Some people do not think the step-up in sound quality between DD5.1 and DTS is worth giving up the extras on DVD's. at least now, movie studios are starting to put out DTS disks with the extra features we have come to expect.

Basset
Old 06-08-00, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks bassethound, you're right it's basic prologic, my dvd player is the philips 825, I don't get the sound like I could from my old pro logic receiver, but I was just making sure that at least I would get sound with either format, Iknow DD5.1 works, and I just verifying that DTS would also work in my archaic machine.
Old 06-08-00, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you get a dts DVD, chances are that you will also get a DD 2.0 soundtrack on that DVD that your Pro-Logic receiver can handle (just plug the analog audio left/right channels into one of the receiver's inputs and turn on its Pro-Logic feature to enjoy DD 2.0 Pro-Logic) for now, and when you get a receiver with dts decoding, then you'll just use the DIGITAL audio output from the DVD player, and plug it into the receiver's DIGITAL audio input, select the correct input and select the DD or dts mode of decoding (make sure your DVD player is set up to output the desired DD or dts bitstream to its digital audio output.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs