Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a good sound system to go with an LG TV...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-16-09, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

My graduation gift was a 47 inch LG flatscreen TV. I am due to receive it at the end of July and was curious as to what would be a good sound system. I looking to get something good but not at a crazy price. I am also looking at getting a blue ray player, however I think I will end up investing in a PS3 any opinions on that?

Thanks,
Tara
Old 07-16-09, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Suggestions for a good sound system to go with an LG TV...

Pretty sweet graduation gift!

Are you looking for a theater-in-a-box type system or building one yourself?

The PS3 as a Blu-ray player is excellent. Easy to update and plays everything (at least in my experience) with no problems. I'm not a many hours gamer, but I enjoy playing when time permits so that is just a bonus to me. Playing LittleBigPlanet is a huge bonus to owning a PS3.

Of course there are plenty of nice Blu-ray players out there as well and they are always coming down in price (look for amazing prices this fall/pre-Christmas) so it is up to you to decide if the PS3 is for you.
Old 07-21-09, 11:37 AM

Hey,

Yes it is a sweet grad gift... My jaw was down to the floor. I was like WWWOOOOOOOOOOOO then of course I naturally went and told all my guy friends the girl was going to have the set-up. I don't brag but I couldn't resist since they were like look we have the Vizio 40 inch. Just friendly payback. Lot's of grumbles but then I was like hey I cook a mean burger and other foods so we can have hockey and football parties at my place. Then they were excited haha. Alright so back to business... I am looking for a Home Theater In A Box for now. I think it will becoming a guest room thing when I buy a house or build one. What are your recommendations.

Aloha,
Tara
Old 07-21-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my recommendations is to not buy a HTIB. They are all shit. You don;t have to spend a lot, just dont buy a HTIB.

Go to Vanns.com Search for Energy Take Classic and buy the system with the sub or your choice for around $300-$350.

Pick up either a Yamaha 463 or Onkyo 507 for a little over $300 and you have a system much better than any HTIB for $6-700.