Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advise on Bose Replacement

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-07-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick version is it looks like my parents Bose Lifestyle system bit the dust. Rather than spend ~$300 to possibly get it fix (and still be left with an outdated in adequate system) I think they're open to moving on.

As I mentioned here (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...kyo-denon.html) I recently came into a Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi - I think this will serve as a very good base. More than adequate really.

Anyway, I they like the size of the Bose speakers since a) they don't take up much room, and b) the room is an odd shape and doesn't have much free floorspace. Given that I'd like to find something small are there any suggestions? Really they'd be happy with something better than the Bose and certainly better than the TV speakers (man those really do sound worse than the Bose!).

For the sub I quickly looked into the usual suspects that are recommended here - SVS and HSU. For SVS the PC12-NSD would probably work. Helps that it's the cheapest model and the footprint would hide nicely. For HSU the VTF-1 is comprable in price to the PC12 and has different color options so that's a bonus.

Speakers? The Paradigm Cinema Micro series looks like a good size, but I have never heard a pair. Not that I'm keen on BB these days, but they appear to carry some small Mirage speakers - anybody have feedback on those? I could at least give them a listen. Orbs seem popular over at AVS, but they have a cheap look about them (yes, I know that doesn't necessarily translate to sound).
Old 07-07-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Advise on Bose Replacement

Energy Take 5 for $150 at Newegg
Old 07-07-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Just ordered, thanks SoSpacey. What receiver and sub would you pair with them? I would love 4 HDMI inputs, but I don't want to go over $400 for the receiver. I notice everyone seems to recommend the HSU for $300 subwise. Would you recommend that as well?
Old 07-07-09, 11:30 AM

Hi,
You might look at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
I got it when Amazon had a promotion for under $300, has the 4 HDMI ports..
HSU is a great sub IMO for the price..
DG
Old 07-07-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Mirage Nano's. Vann's use to have a great deal on them 5 for $250, but I don't think they have it any more.

Also, you mentioned SVS, they make their own bookshelf speakers. I have not heard them, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them based on reputation alone.

I'm also a KEF fan, and recommend them as well.
Old 07-07-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Just ordered, thanks SoSpacey. What receiver and sub would you pair with them? I would love 4 HDMI inputs, but I don't want to go over $400 for the receiver. I notice everyone seems to recommend the HSU for $300 subwise. Would you recommend that as well?
Yea, the Onkyo 507 is hard to beat at the price point. Unless you can live without lossless. Then there are some great deals on very nice receivers but they won't process lossless. On a budget system I don't think it would make a difference (in having lossless).
Old 07-07-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What would you suggest if I don't care about lossless? I mean the speakers are only 160 (shipping included) for the set. Otherwise I'll just pick this up.
Old 07-07-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, any speaker stand recommendations? I see all the charts saying to have your speakers at around 6' high (seems high to me), but most satellite stands don't even go that way. I'm not looking to break the bank here obviously, but I figure $80 or so a pair would be reasonable.
Old 07-07-09, 04:11 PM

Also, any speaker stand recommendations? I see all the charts saying to have your speakers at around 6' high (seems high to me), but most satellite stands don't even go that way. I'm not looking to break the bank here obviously, but I figure $80 or so a pair would be reasonable.
Check Vanns.com, I got my stands for the mirage speakers there and they were
$70 a pair.. Never heard of 6ft high. I would think ear level would be the best way to go..who knows..
DG

Last edited by disneyguy; 07-08-09 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't you means Vanns.com ?

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/ca...s-accessories/
Old 07-07-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ordered these as well. Picked up an Acoustic Home Audio PSW8 Subwoofer off ebay based on some reviews on the bluray.com forums. Should be better than my cobbled together crapfest with a set of Bose 301 speakers and a $27 radio shack center.
Old 07-08-09, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Yep, thks
Old 07-08-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

6' high is for surrounds and would imply wall brackets, not floor stands. The front 3 speakers should definitely be ear level.
Old 07-08-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't hang surrounds on the side of the room due to the setup. Would placing them on speaker stands on either side of the couch be sufficient? I guess I could technically bracket them on the wall behind me, but the couch is against the wall, and I would prefer not to hang them if the effect is not much different.
Old 07-08-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ear level is fine for all channels. Set the speaker distances/levels properly and almost anything is fine for surrounds.
Old 07-09-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the help guys. By the way I picked up the Energy recommended here, the HSU Research Sub, and the Onkyo 507.

Now, I just have to upgrade my TV, but I might have to wait a little. I have to start studying for my CPA exam now anyway.
Old 08-10-09, 02:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking for some satellites for my surround system. Looked at Mirage, KEF, Orb and Energy -- went with the Mirage MX (Minimum eXposure) system. Delivered by UPS today (the box is actually smaller than what my Onkyo 507 receiver came in ).

Now, just waiting for my wires from Monoprice to arrive and will begin setting it up.
Old 08-10-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Suppose I should follow up on this. I checked out some speakers at the local store and did some research over at AVS. I ended up getting my parents two Paradigm CC110s and they're using a Klipsch sub for the time being. Overall the 110s sound nice, but definitely need some help at the low end since their range doesn't go down too far. However, they are very crisp and clear.

They may eventually end up with 3 more to fill out the center and surrounds, but I don't think they are in a rush.