DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

CRT vs LCD and 60hz, 120hz, 240hz

Old 06-27-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CRT vs LCD and 60hz, 120hz, 240hz

I currently have a 2003 Sony 16x9 34" CRT television with 720p display. I watch standard DVD with upconverting player through the DVI(too old for HDMI). Very happy and satisfied with the picture quality.
I would like to go bigger and maintain the same picture quality, sit back a few feet.
Looking at the Sony 52" XBR LCD sets. Don't know if true, but have heard CRT is still best quality, just limited in size because of the tube. Can I go bigger and switch to LCD and and preserve the picture quality?
Reading customer reviews I get impression the hz pertains to set's ability to process fast action without jerkiness. What hz is required to entirely eliminate any jerkiness. Any other issues/differences between CRT and LCD? What about compression?
Old 06-27-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: CRT vs LCD and 60hz, 120hz, 240hz

LCD hasn't totally eliminated its jerkiness. But then, I'm guessing your CRT is really 1080i, because all of them are. And we haven't eliminated jerkiness from interlaced, either. Because it's impossible to do so. But most people don't notice either.

The real benefit of CRT over LCD (or just about anything) is black level. They keep saying they are getting close. 10000:1, 20000:1, 60000:1 contrast ratios. But CRT essentially has zero lumen output where there is black on the screen, and then more or less infinite lumen/color levels because of this nature. All the others have some lumen output or contrived digital levels. So they aren't quite as good.

I'm watching an LCD, though. Couldn't afford a CRT in the 100" range. Black level isn't everything.

Last edited by Spiky; 06-27-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 01:20 PM

I went from a CRT to an LCD.. very much worth the upgrade.

Jacob
Old 06-28-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You might at least look at some of the DLP's. Great deals because everyone want real "flat" tv's. I saw a 72" Mit at Costco today for $2,000. Obviously they make smaller (but I don't know how much smaller).
Old 06-28-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I saw at Best Buy website 65" Mit for something like $1500.

So on this black level thing, when watching a 2.35 film the black bars at top and bottom are brighter and put out light? On the CRT the black bars are pretty much the same as when the set is turned off. I run the warp space screensaver that comes with windows and when I switched from CRT to LCD monitor I noticed how much more the monitor lights up the room with screensaver running and all the lights are off.
Old 06-28-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's an easy way to see the black issue, yes. But the good side of it is that you won't have that CRT frame of reference sitting in the room. You'll look at the black bars on the new TV as the "base black" and it won't be that bad. At least, not all the time.

The biggest Mits DLP at my Costco went out the door while my kids colored today. I mean the floor model. They almost dropped it putting it on the flatbed. I assume they got a couple hundred knocked off for the demo unit.
Old 06-30-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Get a Plasma. The difference from CRT to Plasma will be less noticable.
Old 07-14-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post

GLARE BAAAD

/hetfield

Seriously though, from what I understand the only thing that plasma really has on lcd is the refresh rate, and the colors seem to be brighter. I'm no expert though, I'm just an internet server that reads.... things....
Old 07-18-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
GLARE BAAAD

/hetfield

Seriously though, from what I understand the only thing that plasma really has on lcd is the refresh rate, and the colors seem to be brighter. I'm no expert though, I'm just an internet server that reads.... things....
Whoa, where to begin. Plasmas have much, much better blacks, which give you better, richer, more accurate colors. LCDs are certainly brighter, but they're actually far too bright. When you seen them next to each other in a very brightly-lit showroom, the Plasma will look darker, but in your home (unless you have a flood-light shining directly onto the screen) it will look better than the LCD would.

I have my brightness/picture/contrast on my plasma turned WAY down, and it looks fine during the day, and fucking awesome at night - Plasmas are the closest thing you can get to a good projected film image, where as LCDs give off a distracting glare are look less film-like and more like video.

This brightness thing is really distracting people from which TV actually has the better image, and 9 out of 10 times it will be the plasma.
Old 07-18-09, 05:02 PM

Look into the new Samsung LED. It has best of both worlds!!! It has great color separation like LCD and deep black level like Plasma. LED also has no Glare and It has a 120hz option. Can't go wrong with LED. It's also a lot thinner too, however the price is few hundred dollars higher than I think the XBR
Old 07-18-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, LEDs are pretty much top of the line and the best image you can get - but still WAY expensive. A comparable size will set you back almost a thousand dollars more than the LCD or Plasma. Though I'm sure they'll come down in price in just a year or two.
Old 07-18-09, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yeah, LEDs are pretty much top of the line and the best image you can get - but still WAY expensive. A comparable size will set you back almost a thousand dollars more than the LCD or Plasma. Though I'm sure they'll come down in price in just a year or two.
As soon as I find a good deal on an LED I'm jumping on it, right then and there.
Old 07-20-09, 02:37 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Yep....get a Pioneer Kuro, before they are gone for good....
Old 07-20-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Whoa, where to begin. Plasmas have much, much better blacks, which give you better, richer, more accurate colors. LCDs are certainly brighter, but they're actually far too bright. When you seen them next to each other in a very brightly-lit showroom, the Plasma will look darker, but in your home (unless you have a flood-light shining directly onto the screen) it will look better than the LCD would.

This brightness thing is really distracting people from which TV actually has the better image, and 9 out of 10 times it will be the plasma.

Unless you're watching in a sun room or something plasma is the way to go IMO. I don't even own a plasma (37" LCD for daytime, DLP projector for nighttime) but I came close to buying one over my original projector.

IMO a good plasma is as close as you can get to a CRT. I still use a 24" 16:10 CRT monitor on my PC. I frickin love that thing.