DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone Have an OPPO BDP-83 Yet?

Old 06-24-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone Have an OPPO BDP-83 Yet?

I am hearing some good things from the beta testers, although supposedly it is Region LOCKED for both BD and DVD on account of pressure from the BDA.

Old 06-24-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Anyone Have an OPPO BDP-83 Yet?

It is region locked, but I don't believe their DVD players were really region free either, I believe you had to download an alternate firmware that wasn't from Oppo directly to make that happen. It's way past the Beta testing stages though, those after the fact that were on an 'interest' list (signing up in the early part of the year saying they'd be interested in buying the player) have been buying players via email requests that are sent with links to buy. I have the Oppo BDP-83 and I freakin' love it.
Old 06-25-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
I don't believe their DVD players were really region free either, I believe you had to download an alternate firmware that wasn't from Oppo directly to make that happen.
Nope. My Oppo DVD player was region unlockable out of the box.
Old 06-25-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My SD-DVD playerwas shipped region-free to me here in Japan. I ordered it direct from OPPO, so they probably assumed that I needed a region-free player. I envision that in their warehouse they have one wall of "region-locked" players and one wall of "region-free" players.

If you do a google search you'll find that their SD-DVD players are easily "region-unlockable" just by entering a few numbers on the remote.

As far as the BDP-83 - I found this:
"Oppo hands are tied in complying with the BDA; unlocking the region-code would have revoked agreement and likely to face penalty from BDA. Thus, the upcoming Oppo Blu-ray BDP-83 will not support remote-hack on Blu-ray or SD materail. The long-awaited BDP-83 will be secured with Region 1 locked on DVD disk and Region A locked on Blu-ray disk. But the good news is, the Oppo is said to be capable of PS3 loading disk and toe to toe with BD-J materials."

www.codefreedvd.com has a hack available now at the link below

http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_oppo_..._firmware.html

Last edited by danwiz; 06-25-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
As far as the BDP-83 - I found this:
"Oppo hands are tied in complying with the BDA; unlocking the region-code would have revoked agreement and likely to face penalty from BDA. Thus, the upcoming Oppo Blu-ray BDP-83 will not support remote-hack on Blu-ray or SD materail. The long-awaited BDP-83 will be secured with Region 1 locked on DVD disk and Region A locked on Blu-ray disk. But the good news is, the Oppo is said to be capable of PS3 loading disk and toe to toe with BD-J materials."

www.codefreedvd.com has a hack available now at the link below

Thanks, that looks promising. Region-free capability has always been one of Oppo's big selling points.
Old 06-26-09, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've owned many DVD and Blu-ray players and the newest Oppo outperforms them all. I downloaded the hack and now can play DVDs from any region and Blu-rays from any zone.
Old 06-26-09, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Franchot: which one did you download - the 430 version or the 601 Beta? Please be sure to let us know if you run into any problems too, okay?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-09, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Franchot: which one did you download - the 430 version or the 601 Beta? Please be sure to let us know if you run into any problems too, okay?

Thanks in advance
I'm using the 601 hack and I've had no problems with it. (You put the hack over the Oppo's 601 Beta.) If any problems arise, you can always revert back to the previous 430 release and use the 430 hack.
Old 07-07-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
I have the Oppo BDP-83 and I freakin' love it.
Do you notice layer changes while watching dvd?
Honestly, layer changes drive me crazy. They kill the immersion and take me right out of the movie. I noticed them on every player I owned until I got the Pioneer 410V and now I never see them. I think it might be the chipset.
Anyway, considering the Oppo but curious about how well it handles layer changes.
Old 07-09-09, 11:00 AM

Here's a review from Home Theater HiFi

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-r...ay-player.html

Got this from the Digital Bits.
Old 07-09-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have one - got it over the weekend and have been playing with it for 3 days now.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer - but my impressions are WOW!! it is easy to use - has fast load times, plenty of little tweaks for those of us who like to tune things.

I have been playing with the audio and testing 1.1 hdmi to 1.3 hdmi (no difference, because the disks don't have deep color)

Here is a review that was just posted - it has a good write up.

http://hometheatermag.com/discplayer...lu-ray_player/
Old 07-11-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
I have one - got it over the weekend and have been playing with it for 3 days now.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer -

Watched any dvds? Do you notice the layer change? I would really like to know.
Old 07-13-09, 11:46 AM

I watched batman Dark Knight - no noticeable layer change.

load time is fast. I would say 5 - 10 seconds ( a little spinning disk appears on the screen)

I am loving this - so far.

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 07-17-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 08:26 PM

I'm new here, looking to get into Blu-Ray. I like to watch films and television shows from overseas. Is this the way to go, now that there is a hack?
Old 07-17-09, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by John Drake View Post
I'm new here, looking to get into Blu-Ray. I like to watch films and television shows from overseas. Is this the way to go, now that there is a hack?
If there is a hack, and you are satisfied with the reviews on the player's performance - then I would say you have nothing to lose. Let us know if you get this and do the hack.

However I would do some research - and see if there is any limitations on firmware upgrades in the future if you do the hack (I'm not that familiar with it.)
Old 07-17-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would love to buy this player and move my PS3 to a different TV. Based on the reviews, it sounds like the best full-featured Blu-ray standalone available. The fact that Oppo did an extensive beta testing program gives me high confidence.

Unfortunately, it's probably not in the budget and won't be for a long time.
Old 07-17-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
If there is a hack, and you are satisfied with the reviews on the player's performance - then I would say you have nothing to lose. Let us know if you get this and do the hack.

However I would do some research - and see if there is any limitations on firmware upgrades in the future if you do the hack (I'm not that familiar with it.)
I wouldn't think there would be any limitations. You can easily rollback to another firmware update anytime you choose.
Old 07-17-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if any player is going to be supported into the future by the people writing hacks it's going to be the Oppo.
Old 07-17-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, after revisiting this thread I couldn't hold out any more and ordered the BDP-83 today. It's payday and I had some holiday and overtime pay on my paycheck, so I figured what the hell.

It'll probably be late next week before I have the player, but I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions once it's hooked up.
Old 07-17-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine finally arrived today. Hopefully will have time to play with it tomorrow.
Old 07-21-09, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
I'm using the 601 hack and I've had no problems with it. (You put the hack over the Oppo's 601 Beta.) If any problems arise, you can always revert back to the previous 430 release and use the 430 hack.
Hello
I received my Oppo-83 yesterday and I would like to download the hack and make it region free player. I need to know how to install the hack. You mentioned that hacking over Oppo's 601 Beta, but the current version for Oppo-83 says 620 Beta, not 601 on its home page. Does that mean that I will not be able to install 601 Beta?
Or do I have to install Oppo's 430 version and then install the hack?
Any help is appreciated.

henry
Old 07-22-09, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Henry S View Post
Hello
I received my Oppo-83 yesterday and I would like to download the hack and make it region free player. I need to know how to install the hack. You mentioned that hacking over Oppo's 601 Beta, but the current version for Oppo-83 says 620 Beta, not 601 on its home page. Does that mean that I will not be able to install 601 Beta?
Or do I have to install Oppo's 430 version and then install the hack?
Any help is appreciated.

henry
I have not upgraded to the 620 Beta so I can't say whether the 601 hack will work with it or not. My suggestion would be to install the 601 hack from here:

over your current firmware. (Since you just received your player, I'd assume you have the official 601 or 602 firmware on your player.) See if the 601 hack gives you region and code free capabilities on top of your current firmware. (If it doesn't, you could request the 601 firmware from Oppo as they're very good at honoring purchasers' requests. You can switch back and forth between older and newer firmware as you need on the Oppo.)

It's my feeling the difference between 601 and 602 are not all that great and I read somewhere (can't remember where--sorry) that the 601 hack DID work with the latest 602 firmware.

A good place to pose any questions or problems you're running into would be in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287

The members there are very helpful with this player. (Someone there will have an older firmware version if you need it.)
Old 07-22-09, 04:04 PM

Thanks Franchot for your help and suggestion!!

Henry
Old 07-22-09, 11:58 PM

Hello Franchot

The firmware that came with the machine was 430, so I downloaded beta version of 601 (620 is an official version now by the way), and installed it to the machine. Then I installed 601 hack via USB. I tried an European DVD, but it said "an wrong region". What did I do wrong? Do I have skip a specific procedure?

Henry

Last edited by Henry S; 07-23-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you enter the hack region menu in the player's setup menu and change the region setting?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.