DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Logitech remotes...thoughts/recommendations? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/557188-logitech-remotes-thoughts-recommendations.html)

Mazje 06-24-09 11:59 AM

Logitech remotes...thoughts/recommendations?

Here's the setup:

I have an Onkyo HT-R530 receiver, Optoma HD-70 projector, Xbox 360 and PS3. I'm aware that the PS3 is bluetooth and needs an adapter if used with a Logitech remote. Here's what I'm looking for:

A remote (mainly for the other members of my family) that will control all of these devices and I can program to turn them all on with one button (don't Logitech have that feature?). Any thoughts, recommendations? As always, not looking for bells and whistles, just something to do the job, and the lower the cost, the better.

mzupeman2 06-24-09 12:25 PM

Re: Logitech remotes...thoughts/recommendations?

Yes, Logitech remotes are the way to go. Logitech remotes will turn on the devices you want, in the order you want, and at the inputs you want, at the touch of a single button. If you don't like the order or way any of it is programmed, you can program it yourself. Most any piece of hardware you can think of is in the online database already, and if not, you can easily teach the Logitech remote commands from your hardware's remote. The buttons and what they function can be changed if you don't like the way they're setup either. It's really fully customizable. I wouldn't recommend anything other than a Harmony. Enjoy!

Mazje 06-24-09 12:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Any one specifically you'd recommend?

BASISON 06-24-09 12:52 PM

I would highly recommend the Harmony One. It is the newest and the best remote that they have come out with. Having purchased 4 other Harmony remotes in the past, I have to say that this is by far their best product ever. Look for sales online. I think J&R is still selling it for around $150 when you send in a $30 rebate.

mzupeman2 06-24-09 01:39 PM

I personally don't have one of the higher end models, I have the 670. It isn't an arm and a leg, and it handles my receiver, my Blu-ray player, my DVR, my Xbox 360, and TV. It's all I need.

Mazje 06-24-09 02:25 PM

Found this one refurbed...thoughts?

http://tanga.com/

GreenMonkey 06-24-09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mazje (Post 9523503)
Found this one refurbed...thoughts?

http://tanga.com/

I loved my 676 but the kids eventually damaged it (it had been hurled down stairs and the USB end drooled on with baby food, etc).

I replaced with a 670 which is good but not as good as the 676.

I'd recommend the 676. I love the look of the Harmony one but my 670/676 does the job.

I actually have a 720 also - the kids lost the 670 in the pop bottle bin for a few months before I located it and bought the 720. It's kinda like the halfway step to the One - but the LCD is too bright in a very dark room for my taste, and we still use the 670 most of the time.

Mazje 06-24-09 02:37 PM

Cool. Thanks for the input, everybody.

andy434343 06-24-09 05:32 PM

I have one and have the adapter for the ps3, I highly recommend it, once it is set up properly it is flawless and controls anything you want and the activities buttons work great. (I push watch tv button, it turns on my tv, turns on my reciever, sets the receiver to cable, and turns on the cable box all at once, then the volume can be controlled on the receiver and the channels can be changed on the cable box without having to pick each one everytime.)

Sdallnct 06-24-09 08:50 PM

Love my Harmony (I still have the 880). And I have a HD70 and PS3. Also a Toshiba HD DVD, dish network HD receiver. I also have a Lutron wireless light switch and Monoprice HDMI switcher.

The Harmony works flawlessly with all.

And it is IDEA for the family. My wife would not even go in the media room unless me or son was around to turn it all on. Now she has her own girl movie nights.

I'm going to upgrade soon. I've all but worn out some of the buttons on the 880 and my wife would like a bigger display.

mndtrp 06-24-09 11:01 PM

880 user here, as well. It's excellent, although after 4 years or so the volume buttons aren't working right. I'll just have to go in and reappropriate unused buttons to the volume controls, or add them to the screen at the top.

NotThatGuy 06-25-09 11:34 AM

The 6XX or 7XX lines should work fine. I liked the 8XX but jumped at a refurbed Harmony 1000. It is purdy, though I have yet to program it.

Mazje 06-25-09 01:16 PM

By the way, went back to buy that at Tanga and it had sold out. Oh well, it's not like they're rare. You guys think refurbs are ok though?

Mazje 06-25-09 01:43 PM

One more thought...was just thinking about the theater room for this, but I suppose this is actually supposed to replace all your remotes. How many "activities" will it hold? I see it will take up to 15 device (more than enough for me), but how many buttons are there for things like "play movie" and whatnont? I'm leaning towards the 670.

Gojhawks 06-25-09 05:23 PM

I own both the 659 and the 670. The 670 is a refurb and looked new when it arrived. I can highly recommend either one. As for how many activities, there are 3 hard buttons on the 670 and then the "other activities" button. I know I have 3 "other activities" programmed so that's 6 I use. I have no idea what the limit might be.

Yavin 06-26-09 01:24 PM

I just bought the Harmony 670 and the official Logitech PS3 Harmony Adapter for a total of $190 Canadian. Both are brand new, not refurbished.

I don't follow the prices on these products too closely though. Can anyone tell if I got a good/fair deal on these?

edclem 06-26-09 03:19 PM

I have the 676 running my plasma, blu ray, dvd player, Dish Network DVR, cd player, and receiver.

It works great, and both my wife and I love the ease of the 1 button activities.

As others have said, there are 3 hard and one soft activity button. I don't know how many activities you can program. I have 4 activities on the soft button so far.

spainlinx0 07-09-09 11:02 AM

Just picked up a refurb 890 direct from Amazon for $120.

Chad 07-09-09 04:58 PM

I purchased a refurbished Harmony 880 for $75 from Amazon back in December. Almost immediately the left directional button and the +Volume stopped working properly. A few weeks after that the upper and right-hand portions of the screen started fading, which resulted in the colors looking completely washed out. And just recently the rechargeable battery swelled up to the point where the battery cover literally shot off the remote and it's now unable to charge because it won't sit properly in the dock.

Two days ago I contacted Logitech's online customer service and received a response the very next day saying a brand-new replacement remote would be sent in 7 - 10 days. I was even told not to worry about sending the old one back.

Despite all the problems, I can honestly say this is easily the best remote I've ever owned. Customer service isn't bad either.

spainlinx0 07-09-09 07:04 PM

I was getting very sad listening to your story. Now, I'm OK.

edclem 07-09-09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9557708)
Just picked up a refurb 890 direct from Amazon for $120.

Although I don't technically "need" this, man that's tempting at that price. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my wife that this is a necessary purchase. Maybe I can tell her that one of our dogs picked up the old one and dropped it in his water bowl. Yeah.......that might just work.... ;)

shaun3000 07-09-09 10:44 PM

I got it for $100. :p

The screen on my 550 got cracked, somehow, and Logitech offered 50% off any remote since mine was out of warranty. Even with that, $100 for the 890 was cheaper than what I could have bought a One for from Logitech.

RM811 07-13-09 09:17 AM

I just bought the 890 as well from Amazon for $120.00. I too need to find a way to tell my wife it is a necessary purchase.

edclem 07-13-09 04:39 PM

890's back up to $165. Guess I'll pass this time. snooze = lose :(

klemsaba 07-13-09 09:31 PM

I have 3 of the XBOX 360 remotes. I like the color buttons as they work well with my DVR.