Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why did it work?!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-00, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was following a thread here over the last few days regarding the setup of a DVD player to an HT system. I have a HT system that consists of main speaker, center channel, rear effects, sub woofer, Yamaha 2095 receiver, DVD player, SVHS player, Dish network, and 50" TV. Now, I had my DVD player connected using both the Digital cable for audio out as well as a SVHS cable for video out, AND both right and left out cables. All were connected to the back of my receiver. Now the thread I was reading said that connected this way, it should not have been able to play true DD or DTS, BUT, when I put in my DD or DTS disks, the receiver showed that it had swithched to Enhanced DD or DTS (depending on the disk) and it sure seemed to be descreet 5-6 channel output with all the speakers firing independantly including the sub. As I would like to know the engineering of this, can anyone explain why my system seems to work anyhow? PS: I disconnected the audio in/outs and the system works perfectly and exactly like it did before I pulled them out!
Old 05-24-00, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if I read your post correctly, you made four connections from your DVD player to your receiver:
1 S-video
1 set of red and white RCA cables
1 digital audio cable (coax or optical)

correct?

Well the RCAs are unnecessary as the optical digital or digital coax cable is carrying the DD/DTS bit stream directly to your receiver for decoding. It sounds like either you are sending the receiver two audio feeds, one digital and one analog, and the receiver is ignoring one or that it defaults to the high-quality digital stream. In either case the RCA cables are unnecessary and will only pass a Pro Logic, maxtrixed, sound from your DVD player to your receiver. Stick with the digital connection.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 05-24-00, 05:05 PM
Suspended

You are correct. Thats exactly what I did. I now have the Red/White RCA cables disconnected, but I thought I had read in an earlier post that if you, in fact, connected it the way I had it, it shouldn't have worked. Seems like this is not always accurate. It probably was dependant on my receiver which, as you suggested, was able to discern between the two signals and pass the highest one.
Old 05-24-00, 06:54 PM
Cool New Member

The are two reasons how this can work.

1. Many receivers are digital priority. What I mean by this is that if many receivers look for a digital connection first before using the analog connection. If a digital signal is found, it uses it. If no digital signal is available then it uses the analog signal.

2. The two audio connections (digital & analog) may be connected to different audio ports i.e. video1, video 2, DVD , VCR, etc.