DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Help: toshiba 6901 dts question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/55686-help-toshiba-6901-dts-question.html)

beastieboyfl 05-21-00 10:32 PM

I did a search and could not find the answer so please bear with me.

I recently bought the toshiba 6901 to in addition to my older (1 yr) toshiba 3109 dvd player. I tried playing 2 dts movies and neither of them produced sound. Am I doing something wrong when I set the audio to DTS sound?

Let me tell you of the specs of my system. I do not have a powered sub, so I dont know if that is the problem, but I do have a passive (I beleive that is the term) sub.

Anyways, please help me solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

John

[This message has been edited by beastieboyfl (edited May 22, 2000).]

matchpenalty 05-22-00 03:45 PM

1) Make sure you select DTS sound from the DVD menu (usually in either the audio, setup or languages section of the menu)

2) (?? ask another tosh owner) On my receiver, you have to hit the button to tell it to decode DTS, so it most likely is a 2 part operation.

beastieboyfl 05-22-00 03:59 PM

Thanks for the reply xcheckers. Unfortunately, when I select DTS via the onscreen menu and I don't here a thing.

John

dsharky 05-22-00 04:20 PM

all i have to say is...toshiba6109C is suck. I'm returning mine to mobshop right now

MikeS 05-22-00 06:08 PM

Just wanted to add that I bought the 6109 early on from Mobshop and I have had no problems. It automatically detects the DTS signal and sends it out. In fact, the DTS Demo disc 4 sounds great. Are you sure that your older player passes a DTS signal to the receiver?

------------------
Why my wife hates the Internet

mudkiller 05-22-00 08:36 PM

the 6109c rocks! anyone know what cdr/cdrw play the best on it?

beastieboyfl 05-22-00 11:01 PM

I am pretty sure that it passes dts signal. I get the dobly digital signal but nothing else. The other dvd player is the 3109 model and has a built in dts processor, so I dont know what the problem is.

I am having a new problem as well. I hooked the s-video from the 3109 to the receiver and When I select video 1 or video 2 I get the audio and no visuals, yet when i play a dvd on the receiver everything works fine.

I just hope I get it up and running soon because I have never had as many problems hooking up any a/v equipment before.

Thanks again for all your input!

MikeS 05-23-00 12:57 PM

For your outside dvd player, have you tried switching the TV channel to 00 after you swtich the input to Video 1 or 2? I know that I have to switch my tv to 00 whenever I switch video sources.

What does the display say when playing a DTS DVD? Does it indicate Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby ProLogic? To clarify, are you running DTS dvd from the 3109 to the 6109? Or is your problem that the 6109 is not playing DTS sound on DVDs it plays?

beastieboyfl 05-23-00 01:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about channel 00, I will try it. I figured I would have to use my s-video auxillery connection but that doesnt seem to work.

Secondly, neither dvd player produces DTS sound on my 6901. The read out says dolby digital (although I can change that to pro-logic if I wished) and when I try to change the audio format to DTS I get no sound.

Thanks for your help MikeS, I hope to have this problem resolved soon.

kahuna 05-23-00 07:27 PM

My friend had the same problem with his 6109c. So first off I am sure you are picking the dts soundtrack from the dvd setup as my friend did. But he still was not getting a dts soundtrack. So I told him to hit the "audio" button on the remote and it worked. The button lets you switch from dts, dolby digital 5.1 and dolby surround on the fly. I know this is a long shot but I hope it works. My friend had his unit for about 4 months and always thought he was getting dts sound. I asked him if he noticed the dts sysmbol highlighted by a red square around it in the display window and he said he didn't. But hitting the audio button worked.

Kahuna http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
Big Kahuna's Treasure Chest

Oraphus 05-23-00 10:40 PM

"the 6109c rocks! anyone know what cdr/cdrw play the best on it?" - Mudkiller

Toshiba 6109C does not play CDR/CDRW disks. As far as i know no Toshiba DVD player plays CDR's. Only Pioneer players do.

beastieboyfl 05-24-00 12:50 AM

My 6109 players Cdrs, at least 3 that I have tried (I think I have used cheapo compusa cdrs and prime peripherals).

As for the audio button on the receiver, that is a no go. I have tried that from day one with no change to dts. I guess Ill just tell myself my ears are too damaged to hear any difference in dts sound and just lay this to rest.

Thanks again for all your input!