DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DLP Lamp problems

Old 06-15-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DLP Lamp problems

Hey all, I am hoping might some experience with it and be able to point me in the right direction. I have a Toshiba 46HM95 DLP.

A little while back, my TV started flickering and having display issues. I read around online, and found several suggestions. I wasn't sure what the actual problem was, but after returning from a trip this weekend, I went to turn the TV on and had the lamp finally go. It did not surprise me that this was the issue, as the TV is over 3 years old.

I found a new lamp in stock here in town and bought it today. I brought it home, installed and turned the TV, and everything was looking fine ... for about 10 minutes.

Everything was crisp and clean for a short bit (popped in a DVD to see how it looked, and flipped through channels). However, I then noticed some weird flickering to start again, and colors appear pixelated. However, this wasn't the same as before with my old lamp. For lack of a better to describe this, while the old lamp was dying, the flickering and problems almost seemed to be part of the picture, almost in the background. Now, the flickering more appears to be the screen itself, and almost appears at times like the lamp is too bright. I know, that explanation makes no sense.

Also, the biggest way this is different, is that before the flickering was reserved to the parts of the screen with picture (so with sides cropped, nothing noticeable appeared there). Now, the flickering is across the whole screen, and creating double/triple images of the picture.

So, I guess my first thought is that I got a bad lamp. If I turn the TV off and back on, I get a picture that is fine for a couple minutes, and then the flickering starts. It happens on all inputs as well.

Any thoughts on what has happened? I really don't want to call in service yet, as I was only just able to afford the lamp right now, and can't imagine paying them for something that may be as simple as a bad new lamp.
Old 06-16-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: DLP Lamp problems

Double images does not sound like it could be the lamp. Everything else could be the lamp, although the side bars probably shouldn't be able to flicker in a DLP.
Old 06-16-09, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since the one really bad instance of flickering that seemed to create double images (which it's not a true, permanent double image, it was somehow a result of the flickering, not colored, more just like flashes of outlines that were doubled, but appearing as the screen flickered ... sorry, hard to describe), it hasn't happened again. However, the flickering, brightness, etc. are all still there. :P

Is it possible that when the old lamp burned out it damaged something else? Wouldn't that be ovious all the time, instead of showing up a minute or two into the lamp being on?
Old 06-16-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The simplest explanation is usually correct. You have a new lamp, you have new issues. Probably related. And since an exchange should be possible so soon after purchase, I'd start there if it was me.

The lamp could have caused some damage if it exploded. But you didn't mention that, and it is not likely to cause damage in another way.
Old 06-16-09, 11:17 PM
X
Administrator

Flickering and having the old bulb go out and then the new bulb exibiting flickering problems could also lead to another simplest explanation, that there's a problem with the set that's affecting the bulb. So I haven't been clear on what the problem is in this case. But it's sounding like there might be something wrong other than the bulb.
Old 06-23-09, 07:07 PM
cko
Cool New Member

I have heard stories about old lamps exploding when the burn out and causing problems elsewhere in the light engine, such as messing up the color wheel or other mirrors.
Old 06-25-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks all for the responses so far. It seems to be exhibited some of the same problems as before, but more intense, with some new things. So, I am wondering if the old bulb exploding (the front isn't shattered, but the filament, etc. is completed exploded) did damage something else. The TV turns on and displays a picture, but quickly turns to intense flickering, which it was never quite like that before. I found a local guy who can come look at it for cheap and help pinpoint what's wrong.
Old 07-14-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I read it is not only the bulb that needs changed, but the ballast goes out eventually on those. The ballast is basically the power for the bulb. If it is putting out insufficient power it may be the cause of the flicker.
Old 07-14-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the lamp?

We were told when we got our 46" Toshiba DLP bulbs were under $175. When the bulb went out the first time, it was nearly $300 (even the shop we bought it from was shocked and quit carrying the model afterwards due to the steep markup).
Old 07-14-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't know your model number boba, but dlplampsource has the toshiba ones I looked at for like 189
Old 07-15-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
Don't know your model number boba, but dlplampsource has the toshiba ones I looked at for like 189
I'll have to look it up, but I do recall finding that my TV had an odd lamp and that's why the price was through the roof.
Old 11-04-09, 06:15 PM

hi there, this lamp is different because is dc based and has polarity unlike other ac based rear projection tv lamps,this means that there is a POSITIVE and NEGATIVE terminal on the lamp itself.

this is the main reason why is different than the rest of the bunch out there.
Old 11-09-09, 04:57 PM

My lamp just blew out on Saturday - extremely depressing, needless to say - but the replacement is on it's way and should be here no later than Thursday. Hopefully, it will be an easy swap with no issues, but reading this has me worried a bit. Mine is a Toshiba as well and the lamp made it to the three year mark (almost to the day!)

*UPDATE*
Got the new lamp in and replaced it with no problems. Back up and everything works great! Checked the lamp hours and I got just under 5500 on the original lamp - not too bad, I guess.

Last edited by llandros; 11-11-09 at 06:08 PM.