DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about a Pioneer VSX-1019AHK receiver

Old 06-15-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about a Pioneer VSX-1019AHK receiver

Hey,

I just bought this receiver yesterday, got everything hooked up and went to do the auto settings with the mic. The test kept stalling because it told me my surround speakers were out of phase. I followed the wires down checked everything out (this was not a problem on my old receiver) and it would still come up as out of phase. Just for curiosity sake, I reversed the wires at the back of the receiver and it worked and the test continued. Now I am 100% sure I have the wires correct the other way. I even followed them down a second time today. Anyone ever have this happen?
Old 06-15-09, 06:37 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Question about a Pioneer VSX-1019AHK receiver

How does it know you have them out of phase?
Old 06-15-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the same receiver. Ran the auto mcacc several times and have not had this problem. Check the manual and see if theres an option to switch between bipole, normal, etc speaker setup. I just took a quick look at the on screen menu and didnt see one though.
Old 06-15-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's completely wacky. Just a side note as well, I watched Top gun on blu ray before I set up the receiver and it sounded like there was reverb on every line of dialogue. Would that indicate the 'out of phase' thing?
Old 06-15-09, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by freshticles View Post
It's completely wacky. Just a side note as well, I watched Top gun on blu ray before I set up the receiver and it sounded like there was reverb on every line of dialogue. Would that indicate the 'out of phase' thing?
maybe. you definitely have something going on w/ your speakers in either the way they are connected or they way you have them set up on your receiver. I'm sure you already did this, but check your connections on the back of the receiver to make sure you have all your speakers connected properly.
Old 06-15-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checked again..this time took a marker and ran it down the entire length of the cables. Red to red and black to black. All the front speakers are set up them same and work fine. It's almost like i got a weird defect and the colors are reversed.
Old 06-16-09, 12:27 AM

ok the only thing i can think of is on pg 38 in the manual. when you are setting up auto mcacc there is an option for Normal, speaker b, front bi-amp, or zone 2. Yours should be set to normal.
Old 06-16-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am set to normal. Caught something at the bottom of that page that mentions if I'm using reflective or dipole speakers I may get an 'out of phase' message even if the speakers are wired properly. I have no clue what reflective or dipole speakers are. I'm using Klipsch cinema 6 speakers. I'll have to do some research here.
Old 06-16-09, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, thanks for all the help!
Old 06-17-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Jz1276,

I'm wondering what volumes you're listening to everything at on this thing. I did the mcacc and it set all of my speakers to negative db settings. The problem is, I'm finding this receiver to be much quiter than my old Pioneer vsx917. Before I was listening to blu rays at around -32 db. On this unit I'm having to listen to them at around -18db to get the same volume. This is even after I bumped the individual speaker volumes back up and also the volume on my ps3. As well I used to play Rock band at about -43db and again I was playing at about -25 db to get the same volume. It's kind of freaking me out a little.
Old 06-17-09, 12:42 PM

I am set to normal. Caught something at the bottom of that page that mentions if I'm using reflective or dipole speakers I may get an 'out of phase' message even if the speakers are wired properly. I have no clue what reflective or dipole speakers are. I'm using Klipsch cinema 6 speakers. I'll have to do some research here.
Well those speakers don't fall under that classification,so your good there. Make sure there is no damage to the speaker wire itself. If nothing else works and your able to return the AVR for another I would try that.
Old 06-17-09, 09:42 PM

Hey Jz1276,

I'm wondering what volumes you're listening to everything at on this thing. I did the mcacc and it set all of my speakers to negative db settings. The problem is, I'm finding this receiver to be much quiter than my old Pioneer vsx917. Before I was listening to blu rays at around -32 db. On this unit I'm having to listen to them at around -18db to get the same volume. This is even after I bumped the individual speaker volumes back up and also the volume on my ps3. As well I used to play Rock band at about -43db and again I was playing at about -25 db to get the same volume. It's kind of freaking me out a little.

Yeah same thing here. I had a Pio VSX D812 before i upgraded to this one and the volume levels are definitely different.
I think the reason is bc this receiver goes into the plusses (+12) and the oher one stopped at 0 (i think)
Old 06-19-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Jz1276,

I posted a similiar question on AVS when I got my VSX-01, which is almost identical to the 1018 model. I find myself turning the thing to around -12 during most movies. Don't worry about it.
Old 06-19-09, 09:29 PM

the mcacc also set my vilumes very low, so I changed them all and left everything else alone.
Old 07-10-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, now I'm having a separate set of problems. Turned on my hd player (a30) tonight and went to watch The 5th Harry Potter movie. Switched the audio on the disc to true hd and I was still getting a big PCM across the display and no True HD light lighting up. I'm plugged in through hdmi, have my player set to bitstream and output to auto. I tried to change my input setting as per page 58 in the manual. I pressed the receiver button, and started pressing the input select button. Apparently I'm supposed to be able to cycle through a bunch of different options by repeatedly pushing the signal select button, but all that comes up on the display is 'sigselect hdmi' and that's it. Pressing the button does nothing. This is really frustrating.