Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A Few Questions on New Panasonic Plasma

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-14-09, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all,

I finally took the plunge and got the TC-P50S1 1080p Plasma TV and had some questions on it.

I will be using with it a XBOX 360 Elite, Sony BD-S300 Blu Ray player, and Direct TV HD all with HDMI.

Are there any settings that I need to adjust on these systems from my old 720p set I had hooked up to all of them?

Thanks to all who reply

Beau
Old 06-14-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: A Few Questions on New Panasonic Plasma

Did you have a Panny plasma before? Why did you change?

Yes there are settings you need to adjust. Probably different for each of those sources. I'd get a calibration disc if you don't want to hire someone (which can be expensive). You can also look at AVS.

Some recommend keeping the brightness and contrast very low along with limited static images for the first 100 hours. And then calibrating after that 100 hours. Some say this is being unnecessarily cautious. Just throwing it out there.
Old 06-14-09, 11:47 AM

No, this is my 1st Plasma. I had the 52in Panny LCD Projection before.

The Xbox switched to 1080 auto, but what should my BD player be set at?

It has 24p, is that what i should set it at?

Its on sale for $1199 today which is a steal for this set right?

Does anybody ever get ext. warrenty? Just wondering

Beau
Old 06-15-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$1199 is a good price. I would avoid the extended warranty, but that is just me. These Panasonics are pretty reliable and pretty cheap.

Play with the settings to see what looks better to you.
Old 06-15-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$1199 is a good price. I would avoid the extended warranty, but that is just me. These Panasonics are pretty reliable and pretty cheap.

Play with the settings to see what looks better to you.
Old 06-15-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think American Express will double the normal warranty if you pay with it. That may be an option. I've never known anyone who's needed a warranty for a Panasonic plasma.

also, it's $1185 shipped through 6ave using coupon code afl5

there may be a better deal than that, though.....
Old 06-15-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

Will be picking up a Panny TC-P42X1 42" Plasms for my parents. It's $599 at BB. They are trying to get me to buy the 50" model but that is to big for their bedroom.
Old 06-15-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Panasonic is a couple years old so it doesn't support 24p. You'll know right away whether it works or not. I used Tweak TV to set mine, then adjusted to taste. I'm pretty sure the settings will stay the same from one 16:9 set to the other. I got rid of my BDP 300 so I don't remember for sure but I don't believe there is a setting for 720 v 1080 like my HD player has.
Old 06-17-09, 12:52 PM

Thanks, I found out how to switch from 720p to 1080p in Sony manual.

Should I limit my use of this set for a bit... or can I use it 6,7, or 8 hours a day right out of the box?

Beau
Old 06-17-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Beau B
Thanks, I found out how to switch from 720p to 1080p in Sony manual.

Should I limit my use of this set for a bit... or can I use it 6,7, or 8 hours a day right out of the box?

Beau
You should do some research and get comfortable with what you do or don't do.

I will say that "some people" subscribe to a break in period of like around 100 hours. During this time you should keep the brightness and contrast down, don't watch anything with a static image. Also "stretch" your image so that even Non-HD fills the screen. Meaning no black bars. There are even folks that pass around DVD's to use during this time. I assume they are moving images with no static images.

Again, some feel this will help prevent or ensure no image burn in. Other people feel this is unnecessary with modern plasmas.
Old 06-25-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just bought one of this year's new model Panasonic Plasmas as well ... the TC-P42X1. I swore to myself I would get a 1080p unit and not buy an entry-level model, but after doing some research this model seemed to be the best value on the market.

As far as I can tell, after reading the reviews of the larger 50" version, the cons (color accuracy, lack of picture setting options) apply to even some (or most?) higher-end models. And as for the 1080p vs 720p issue (again), I will be sitting roughly 7 feet away from the screen, so I'm thinking that it's not worth the extra $$$ for 1080p on this size of a screen.

Currently, I have a 37" Toshiba Regza LCD (not the entry-level model, but the middle-tier model) from a couple of years back. This one was also a 720p, but my main problems with it were the motion blur (especially on reddish hues). From the research I've done, this Panasonic offers improvements in every respect (deep blacks, unlimited viewing angle, better refresh rate) and, quite honestly, when I ask myself what I want vs. what I need, I can't justify paying in the mid $1000's or up to $2000 for an LCD/Plasma with features that would largely be impercetible to me.

The downside is that we (here in Canada) don't have the amazing $599 Best Buy/Sears deal on this unit as you do in the US. The lowest sale price here is $899, but this is only the sale price at Future Shop (which ends today), and the regular price is $1299. I've checked Sears (Canada) as well, and they're also selling this at $1299. Still, at $899, this is still about $500-$600 less than a comparable 1080p set.

Anyone here own the TC-P42X1? I'm curious about others' impressions of it. Reviews on Amazon and Best Buy seem glowing, but CNET also has a review of the 50" version that mentions the issue of faint horizontal lines visible on-screen (especially on lighter areas of the picture).

Last edited by Yavin; 06-25-09 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-25-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

saw this on slickdeals....

Panasonic TC-P50G10 for $1,249 + FS and FREE DMP-BD60K Blu-Ray player after MIR.

http://www.us-appliance.com/tcp50g10.html

use coupon welcome10 for addition $10 off
Old 06-25-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kahuna
Will be picking up a Panny TC-P42X1 42" Plasms for my parents. It's $599 at BB. They are trying to get me to buy the 50" model but that is to big for their bedroom.
Damn!!

Great price.
Old 06-25-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn....at this price I'd love to get on to replace my 27" Olevia LCD in the bar. But I just don't have the wall space for it. And that room is incredibly bright (4 windows + 4 skylights). However, no direct sunlight. The Olevia is a touch and while not a great pic, look bright even at noon!
Old 07-01-09, 12:22 PM

Also I had a question about using this set with my 360. I thought that these sets had all but gotten rid of the "Burn In" or "Shadow".

But I noticed after playing Saints Row for a few weeks on it now that I see some spots on it? Where the life meter is mostly on top right. Is there a special setting I should have this on or is it just messed up after only a few weeks of use now?

Beau
Old 07-01-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also I had a question about using this set with my 360. I thought that these sets had all but gotten rid of the "Burn In" or "Shadow".

But I noticed after playing Saints Row for a few weeks on it now that I see some spots on it? Where the life meter is mostly on top right. Is there a special setting I should have this on or is it just messed up after only a few weeks of use now?

Beau
I spent most of my break in time watching HD. I've never had image retention issues. You could try the pixel orbiter or the screen-saver thing that does white and black screens. That may reset it for you. I'd avoid Saints Row (or any games) for the time being.....
Old 07-01-09, 02:46 PM

Ok, so I should not play any games right now while set is still new or just never play games on it at all?

I really like the set, but if I cant use it for what I normally do its not worth it to me.
Where is the pixel orbiter located in menu?
Old 07-01-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, so I should not play any games right now while set is still new or just never play games on it at all?

I really like the set, but if I cant use it for what I normally do its not worth it to me.
Where is the pixel orbiter located in menu?
just for now. I am surprised that you got any retention (even a new set). gaming on a plasma is fine (better picture, in my opinion).

I think your model has "game mode" as a picture setting that works against image-retention.

the pixel thing is under the set up. setup -> pixel orbiter

also, there's the scrolling bar thing that I'd run for a bit.
Old 07-02-09, 11:42 PM

Yes, it has a game mode with the 3rd HDMI setting and thats what i have it set to.
It just stuck out to me for some reason, but it is there when screen is grey from switching from HDMI to HDMI.

Maybe I am crazy or something. Maybe contrast or Brightness was to high out of the box.
What should these settings be for games? Backlight? Color Cool or Normal?

Thanks
Old 07-16-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it has a game mode with the 3rd HDMI setting and thats what i have it set to.
It just stuck out to me for some reason, but it is there when screen is grey from switching from HDMI to HDMI.

Maybe I am crazy or something. Maybe contrast or Brightness was to high out of the box.
What should these settings be for games? Backlight? Color Cool or Normal?

Thanks
I assume this is still an issue....

I'm not sure about the settings for games. The recommended setting on cnet is a little dark, in my opinion.

If you're still having issues with the ghosting, try avsforum.com and ask in the general Panasonic "S" series thread.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t....html?tag=also

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...hreadID=334184
Old 09-21-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts

Looking at the BB sales ad paper this week. It shows this model at $699.99. But once again the website shows this model on sale for $599.99. BB said they would match their websites price.
Old 09-22-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used these break-in images for the first week or so. Go to http://www.eaprogramming.com/ and click on "downloads", then look for "Plasma Break-in DVD Images". Put them on a SD Card, and then run it as a slide show on the TV (set to repeat at the end of the images). I've had very little issues with any image retention since then - it's only if I"m playing a game/watching a movie that's longer than three hours that any image retention becomes an issue. Panasonic also has a white bar setting that will scan across the screen to help rid the TV of any image retention.
Old 09-23-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at the BB sales ad paper this week. It shows this model at $699.99. But once again the website shows this model on sale for $599.99. BB said they would match their websites price.
$479 w/free shipping

also, it's less if you have a dell preferred account

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1572413
Old 09-23-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
I think American Express will double the normal warranty if you pay with it. That may be an option. I've never known anyone who's needed a warranty for a Panasonic plasma.
Now you do!

15 months ago I bought my Panny TH-50PZ80U. About 1 month ago, almost exactly 2 months out of warranty, while watching my TV, a 3-inch wide vertical black line appeared from top to bottom of the screen, about 6 inches from the left side.

Called Panny and they told me to have an evaluation done. Eval cost me $100. I faxed them the results, and they authorized the repair, picking up the balance of the repair cost, plus parts. When company came back out to fix it, turns out that it wasn't the board they thought it was, but actually the panel itself!

Bottom line, the panel is warrantied for 2 years, so that is covered. Panasonic once again authorized the balance of the repair (around $260 for labor), and the place is coming to pick up my TV tomorrow.

But, if it's any comfort, the guy that came to fix my Panny told me that repair calls on Panasonic plasmas are very rare for his company. In fact he said that if someone would ask him what brand plasma to buy, he would recommend Panasonic (or Pioneer).
Old 09-23-09, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
$479 w/free shipping

also, it's less if you have a dell preferred account

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1572413
Just bought one for the bedroom a couple of weeks ago for $599. Sigh... It's always simultaneously the best and worst time to buy electronics.

Great set, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.