DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommendations for new home theater system

Old 06-12-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Recommendations for new home theater system

I've been looking to get a new one for awhile, occasionally looking around but never really set on one particular one. I'm mainly looking for one that has HDMI inputs(3 if possible, if not that's ok), wireless rear speakers (again if it doesn't have them, it's ok), and possilby in the price rage of $250-$400 if that's not too ridiculously low of a price for all that. I'm kinda a newb to what's good and what's not, so I thought I would ask for some help. Wal-Mart has a Sony Bravia for around $300 that I've kinda been eyeing, as I've heard Bravias are pretty good.

Any other recommendations, or advice of which to avoid? Thanks for any and all help!
Old 06-12-09, 04:39 PM

Re: Recommendations for new home theater system

Hi,
For that price are you looking for a Home Theater In A Box set up???
5.1 or 7.1 speaker system???
DG
Old 06-12-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It doesn't have to be a home theater in a box, since I mostly just use my PS3 and watch Blu-Rays.

And 5.1 for now. I imagine 7.1 would be impossible to get for under $400 unless it was some no-name brand.
Old 06-12-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Trust me, don't settle. I first started out with a cheapy home theater in a box that was like $250. I then eventually upgraded to a HTIB that was better and cost like $500 and had a DVD changer. After that, I eventually upgraded to an Onkyo 605 that has 2HDMI ins, and can support 7.1 surround sound. That was I dunno, $450, $500 at the time? I purchased separate speakers from Sony, not the best set in the world, but not bad at all. Tall standing fronts and everything. I am now upgrading to a new Denon receiver. Just push the budget a little more or save a little more, and get something you really want. You'll be happier in the short term, and save more money in the long term.
Old 06-13-09, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan View Post
I've been looking to get a new one for awhile, occasionally looking around but never really set on one particular one. I'm mainly looking for one that has HDMI inputs(3 if possible, if not that's ok), wireless rear speakers (again if it doesn't have them, it's ok), and possilby in the price rage of $250-$400 if that's not too ridiculously low of a price for all that. I'm kinda a newb to what's good and what's not, so I thought I would ask for some help. Wal-Mart has a Sony Bravia for around $300 that I've kinda been eyeing, as I've heard Bravias are pretty good.

Any other recommendations, or advice of which to avoid? Thanks for any and all help!
If you can still find them the Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 is a good system, the
receiver is very good for a HTIB..I saw them for $350 at Vanns.com but
don't thing they have them anymore..the system got good reviews everywhere I checked. Have a friend who has one and loves it..

this is also a good system
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5100.../dp/B0016KAU3U
DG

Last edited by disneyguy; 06-13-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-13-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
Trust me, don't settle. I first started out with a cheapy home theater in a box that was like $250. I then eventually upgraded to a HTIB that was better and cost like $500 and had a DVD changer. After that, I eventually upgraded to an Onkyo 605 that has 2HDMI ins, and can support 7.1 surround sound. That was I dunno, $450, $500 at the time? I purchased separate speakers from Sony, not the best set in the world, but not bad at all. Tall standing fronts and everything. I am now upgrading to a new Denon receiver. Just push the budget a little more or save a little more, and get something you really want. You'll be happier in the short term, and save more money in the long term.
why not upgrade your speakers since you already have a good receiver. sell your sonys and put that money toward a good brand. you will hear much more of a difference than with a new receiver.
Old 06-13-09, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
why not upgrade your speakers since you already have a good receiver. sell your sonys and put that money toward a good brand. you will hear much more of a difference than with a new receiver.
I didn't see where he said he had a good receiver..
Old 06-13-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You may not want to hear this, but I'd take the $300-$400 cash you currently have and save it. See if you can double that in a few months. If your talking new, with modern features, I just don't see you getting something your going to want to keep. $800-$1,000 even though just a little more then double what you are looking to spend will make a significant difference.

You can get fairly close right now if you skip lossless,

I've seen some nice Denon's in the $200 range because they won't process lossless. But they do have HDMI.

Then see if there are still deals on the NHT's or maybe Nanosat's from Vann's. Then the base sub from HSE and you got a pretty sweet system for well under a grand. But I don't think your going to get it under $500.
Old 06-13-09, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
You may not want to hear this, but I'd take the $300-$400 cash you currently have and save it. See if you can double that in a few months. If your talking new, with modern features, I just don't see you getting something your going to want to keep. $800-$1,000 even though just a little more then double what you are looking to spend will make a significant difference.

You can get fairly close right now if you skip lossless,

I've seen some nice Denon's in the $200 range because they won't process lossless. But they do have HDMI.

Then see if there are still deals on the NHT's or maybe Nanosat's from Vann's. Then the base sub from HSE and you got a pretty sweet system for well under a grand. But I don't think your going to get it under $500.
the Onkyo 507 was at Amazon.com for $292 with the promotion and it also has hdmi (4 I think)
Old 06-13-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by disneyguy View Post
the Onkyo 507 was at Amazon.com for $292 with the promotion and it also has hdmi (4 I think)
Yup, good deal. Nice unit.

When it took $1,500+ to build a decent system I use to not discourage people from getting the $300 HTib set up. They were never going to spend what it took to get a decent system.

But now that you can "easily" get a decent system for a grand and if your careful or willing to give up lossless, maybe in the $800 range, I think those with a budget of $400 should wait and save. The difference is significant.

You can build a nice system around that 507 for about a grand. Maybe less. After that $300 your going to need speakers that are going to be $300-$400 and a sub for $300, maybe....so you are looking at grand.

You could shave another $100 off the receiver and skip lossless. And maybe shave another $100 for a lessor sub, but especially on the sub, your starting to take a pretty big step down. OK, lets play....LOL

Onkyo 507 for $300
Base HSU sub for $300
The Mirage Nano's (5 of them) for $300
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...=23-42352824-2

That is a nice set up for the money and gets you lossless. Which, I don't think is that big of a deal. So if a $100 or so makes a difference you could drop down and get just as nice of sounding receiver but without lossless.
Old 06-13-09, 03:43 PM

Yup, good deal. Nice unit.

When it took $1,500+ to build a decent system I use to not discourage people from getting the $300 HTib set up. They were never going to spend what it took to get a decent system.

But now that you can "easily" get a decent system for a grand and if your careful or willing to give up lossless, maybe in the $800 range, I think those with a budget of $400 should wait and save. The difference is significant.

You can build a nice system around that 507 for about a grand. Maybe less. After that $300 your going to need speakers that are going to be $300-$400 and a sub for $300, maybe....so you are looking at grand.

You could shave another $100 off the receiver and skip lossless. And maybe shave another $100 for a lessor sub, but especially on the sub, your starting to take a pretty big step down. OK, lets play....LOL

Onkyo 507 for $300
Base HSU sub for $300
The Mirage Nano's (5 of them) for $300
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...=23-42352824-2

That is a nice set up for the money and gets you lossless. Which, I don't think is that big of a deal. So if a $100 or so makes a difference you could drop down and get just as nice of sounding receiver but without lossless.
Actually you can get the 5 Mirages for $250...
Anyone know how that 5th speaker sounds as a center speaker?? or is
it better to look elsewhere for the CS..
tks,
DG
Old 06-13-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually you can get the 5 Mirages for $250...
Anyone know how that 5th speaker sounds as a center speaker?? or is
it better to look elsewhere for the CS..
tks,
DG
I just rounded up. Figuring there would be shipping or something.

No reason to think it wouldn't work fine as a CC. They will be matched and they are selling them as a 5.0 set up.
Old 06-13-09, 04:16 PM

I just rounded up. Figuring there would be shipping or something.

No reason to think it wouldn't work fine as a CC. They will be matched and they are selling them as a 5.0 set up.
thanks, usually Vanns has free shipping..
Old 06-13-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Stryker336 View Post
The amazon one with 4 hdmi is great. Im saving up for that one for sure!
Well IMO it is not a great receiver but a great VALUE. I automatically dismiss the cheap POS Sony receivers. And I know Yamaha makes some nice units (tho I've never been a fan), I'd skip their cheap one's as well.

Everything I have read about the 507 is that it has everything a typical lower end Onkyo has (good sound, good power, good reliability) plus you get lossless. Keep in mind "good" is relative. As of today I think this would be the least expensive receiver with lossless processing that I would consider.
Old 06-13-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Because it's not a good receiver. Mine has issues. I NEED a new receiver right now.
Old 06-14-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is typical and you can do better with careful shopping. You do "lose" lossless processing which I don't think is a big deal. And really wouldn't worry about on a budget set up. I'd much rather see you spend that $100 on speakers or a sub then skimp on those just to get lossless. You speakers will make a more significant difference in sound then going lossless.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1609.../dp/B001BKLC50

But this is a quality, nice sounding receiver for $200. And like I said, this was just a "quick look". Can can likely do better.
Old 06-14-09, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2 View Post
Because it's not a good receiver. Mine has issues. I NEED a new receiver right now.
oh i thought you were just wanting something with more bells and whistles.
Old 06-14-09, 08:31 PM

I didn't see where he said he had a good receiver..
and whats wrong with an onkyo 605?
Old 06-15-09, 03:42 AM

and whats wrong with an onkyo 605?
Where does it say the OP (SuperBatMan) has a 605???? Maybe I'm missing it but don't
see it at all..
Old 06-15-09, 09:43 AM

Where does it say the OP (SuperBatMan) has a 605???? Maybe I'm missing it but don't
see it at all..
reread my original post. i was quoting someone else who has a 605. i wondered why you were insinuating the 605 wasnt good.
Old 06-15-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This seems like a great deal as well...

http://www.us-appliance.com/avr590.html

(stolen from slickdeals)