Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need serious help deciding on a receiver!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need serious help deciding on a receiver!

Old 03-22-00, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After looking around forever, I have managed to narrow it down to these:

1. Yamaha 795a
  2. Yamaha 995(is it worth the money to get instead of the 795)
  3. Sony STR-DA555ES
  4. Kenwood VR-3090
  5. Denon 2800

You should know that Theater is more important to me than Music, but I don't want to totally sacrifice music. Right now I am leaning towards one of the Yamaha's. I would love any other suggestions for receivers that I have not listed or any advice on these receivers. Thanks!

------------------
"...that chewing gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 03-22-00, 11:54 PM
BEC

Denon AVR97 is the same as the AVR2800. Sometimes the 97 is cheaper. Netmarket
has it for $530. HTR5170 is another name for the 795A, also sometimes found for less.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited March 22, 2000).]
Old 03-23-00, 09:36 AM

Try out Onkyo 575 ... cheap receiver yet fantastic performance =) Denon 3300 and Marantz 7000 are also worth looking at.
Old 03-23-00, 01:00 PM

Unless you need the power I would go with Sony STR-DA333ES, otherwise STR-DA555ES is fine.

I have the STR-DA33ES (ancestor of 333) and I find it great.

If you plan to use S-video plugs, ALL you equipment must be with S-video. Otherwise you will have to use regular video RCA also. I had to buy a S-VHS VCR to have this plus.

Unless it changed, audio digital is optical only (except for DVD which had 2 inputs).

Good luck

G

G
Old 03-23-00, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know it's not on your short list, but Harman Kardon's AVR65 (last year's model) is a great receiver, and 800.com has it clearance priced at $699.87 . Combine this with 800.com's 10% off of all receivers coupon, and you're looking at around $630 for last years $1200 receiver. Hope this helps...

Derek

------------------
Derek J. Nolan -- [email protected] -- My DVDs

Old 03-23-00, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since hometheater is your top priority, I'd get the one you can get the best deal on. On the hometheater side of things, they all perform more than adequately. The differences come into play on the music end, here Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, and Nakamichi will shine through. There were A LOT of problem with the HK 65, I would not advise that model for anyone.
Old 03-24-00, 02:08 AM

I have debated this same receiver question for quite a while now. I've Demo'd a Yamaha next to a Denon and found that the Yamaha seemed to have more dynamic range and punch. It really sounded live with sounds such as Guitar (Pearl Jam- Yellow Ledbetter). However, the Denon seemed to have a smoother sound. But, in it's inherent smoothness it seemed to all blend together with less "Sound Stage" (or Imaging) and it also seemed to lack the Bass of the Yamaha. I've about narrowed my favorites down to:

Denon
HK
Yamaha

Nakamichi would be in there if I could afford one . I've never Demo'd an HK. The Yamaha and Denon did perform better than the Pioneer, Sony, and Onkyo.

----------------------------------------------------

In my opinion ones taste in receivers is like Sunglasses. Some people are so tuned into their senses (Sight or Sound) that they can give a reputable opinion. I sell sunglasses and see many customers that can sense the quality of a $200 pair of Maui's or Revo's. Other customers just have an opinion based on preconceptions like, "Oakley is the best" (maybe at marketing ). More customers than you can imagine feel that whatever they own is the best...I'll leave that one up to the Psychoanalysts. There is also a varying level of expectations people have. For example, my grandpa thinks Lexus makes the best sedans, my mom thinks Toyota does...the irony is thick (it's like a comparing the Yamaha DVD players to Panasonic DVD Players). So, for clarity, it would be VERY helpful if anyone who has done some objective comparison testing on any of these brands can give us some help. What would be awesome is if someone can give a evaluative comment about the Sound Quality of Denon v. Yamaha v. HK. Sound Quality is in my opinion the most important factor in comparing these three brands (features and price are easy to wiegh out). It is subjective to some degree, but anyone with an "Ear for detail" may be able to shed some light on this. I am a member of DVDTalk because I am cheap and poor, so spending this sort of money is hard for me.

Use.....

60% Movies (Mostly Dialogue, not many action)
20% Television
20% Music Rock/Alternative (Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, Dave Mathews, Clapton, Tori Amos, Sarah Maglachlan, Bjork)

**Two sound qualities I want to focus on are "Musical Sound Quality" and "Vocal Clarity/Realism in TV and Film". Even though I listen to music only 20% of the time, it is this 20% when my ears start paying attention to detail. So, I would say musical quality is THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.

My Price Range is around $500....

I am really confused, I have no clue which of these brands has the best Amplifiers.

d-rell, The 995 is only worth the extra money if your listening room is HUGE. I've auditioned both and they sound pretty close. Some say the amplifiers on the 995 are cleaner. I would drop the Kenwood in a heartbeat...Get that thing off your list. I've been looking into these and the Kenwood sacrifices what I value most...sound quality. It only offers features and price. The Sony 555, Denon 2800, and Yamaha 795a would be the top 3 on your list in my opinion. I've heard that Sony and Yamaha use pretty low quality amps in comparison to brands like Denon, HK, and Nakamichi. And the HK AVR-65 may be worth adding. Oh, if only Nakamichi had deals online...I believe they are primarily B&M. Also, I've learned that one way to check out quality is to turn off all DSP's and run all EQ features (bass, treble) flat.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Jason
Old 03-24-00, 10:54 AM

RJason

Stick with best the Yamaha or Denon model you
can afford.

You're right at the border, as far as price.
If you're willing to bump it up another
$100-150, you'll probably have a unit you
will be happer with overall, and can live
with for a long time.

Happy shopping.

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)
Old 03-24-00, 04:38 PM
Suspended

The difference between the Yamaha 795 and 995 is more than a beefier amp. The 995 has considerably more SVHS connections. I bought the 795, and while I loved it, it did not have the number of SVHS connections I needed. So I looked at the 995 and it did. Actually I went with the 2095, but if you do not have a rather large room to fill the 995 would be fine. Yamaha kicks ass!
Old 03-24-00, 06:48 PM

Michael....THANKS alot...I'll see if I can save (ebay) some more. Helps me narrow things down a little. It will make things much easier to take HK off the list.

tdamico, I beleive that the 795a fixes the lack of S-Video inputs that the 795 had. the 795a also has bannana plugs (5-way binding posts) all the way around. The 795 only had them for the mains, it had push button style for the center and surround.

d-rell, I hope I'm not taking the focus off your question. I hope that this info is helping you also.

Robert Jason

Old 03-25-00, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depending on your budget (especially if you were considering the Yamaha 995), you may want to take a look at the Marantz SR-7000 which should be able to be had in the mid 700s. It not only is an awesome HT receiver but it is excellent for music too. Just heard the SR-7000 and 8000 and am leaning toward the 8000 with the copper chassis, updgraded remote and power supply. The only problem may be in finding one (of either model). My local place has 5 coming in this week that are supposedly all spoken for already. Marantz seems to deal with mainly local high end audio and home theater places. HiFi.com is the authorized net dealer (but is no cheaper than my local guy); however, a couple of others seem to show the unit. I think wildwestelectronics had it for just under 750.

The reason I bring this up as I was set on the Yamaha until I heard about and then heard the Marantz. NO COMPARISON. I won't get less than the SR-7000 now.

Actually heading out to purchase my entire system shortly.

Marantz SR-8000 or 7000
NHT Superone XU fronts
NHT Supercenter
NHT Superzero XU rears
Velodyne CT-120 sub

Good luck!
Old 03-25-00, 09:09 PM

Marantz is another one to consider, I ruled them out in the past because they were behind on their surround technologies and they were pricey. Their chasis seemed like a cheaper Sherwood, Pioneer, or Technics type of style...if I bring in a CD and my High End Headphones into a local shop...would I be able to tell the sound quality? the only reservation I have is the belief that the Headphone amp won't clue you into the quality of sound that will go through the main amps.

Robert Jason
Old 05-21-00, 02:07 PM

hey xcheckers!
How much did it cost u for this setup! I demoed the same thing and need a good price!

Marantz SR-8000 or 7000
NHT Superone XU fronts
NHT Supercenter
NHT Superzero XU rears
Velodyne CT-120 sub