DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

receiver advice

Old 06-02-09, 01:48 PM

receiver advice

I have narrowed my receiver search down to these models.
Marantz SR5003
Denon AVR-2309CI
Marantz SR6003
Denon AVR-2809CI

I may also swing over to the local best buy and see what they have there, maybe a Pioneer.

I will be using a Panasonic TC-P42G10 and Polk Audio speakers, does anyone have an opion or advice on choosing between these receivers or even just brands?

The one major feature I must have in a receiver is the ability to power the sub-woofer through the receiver (i.e. plug in the power cord to the receiver) and upconversion, everything else is negotiable.
Old 06-02-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: receiver advice

Why would you want to power your sub using the receiver? Plugs on the back of your receiver shouldn't be used on something drawing so much power . They are meant more for low-current devices like CD players or even HDMI switches. You are asking for trouble for setting it up that why and I don't know why you even want to do it.

Which Polk speakers do you have? What sub do you have?

You can't go wrong with any of those receivers but I like the Marantz over the Denon.
Old 06-02-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus, I'd think that most subwoofer power cords are 3-pronged, while the switched outlet on the back of a receiver is a usually 2-pronged.
Old 06-02-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey View Post
Why would you want to power your sub using the receiver? Plugs on the back of your receiver shouldn't be used on something drawing so much power . They are meant more for low-current devices like CD players or even HDMI switches. You are asking for trouble for setting it up that why and I don't know why you even want to do it.

Which Polk speakers do you have? What sub do you have?

You can't go wrong with any of those receivers but I like the Marantz over the Denon.
I rememebr having this discussion on here recently with someone. I used the outlet on the backs of my receivers for years to power my sub (120W) and never had a prob
Old 06-02-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, I'm not sure why you would want to plug in a sub, even if you could. And I certainly wouldn't think that is a "major" feature.

I have my sub on the other side of the room from my receiver. It is plugged into a fairly heavy duty power strip near it. The sub goes into "standby" when when there is no signal on the audio, and turns on when there is. It is not an expensive sub and I would imagine all subs work that way.
Old 06-02-09, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I agree, I'm not sure why you would want to plug in a sub, even if you could. And I certainly wouldn't think that is a "major" feature.

I have my sub on the other side of the room from my receiver. It is plugged into a fairly heavy duty power strip near it. The sub goes into "standby" when when there is no signal on the audio, and turns on when there is. It is not an expensive sub and I would imagine all subs work that way.
The receiver I recently purchased (Pioneer 1019-AH) does not have an outlet on the back so I have to use the standby mode also. Using the receiver to power the sub is better IMO. If there is no signal during a movie for 5 or so mins. the sub shuts off and then powers on again when a signal is sent but takes a few seconds before sound actually comes out of the sub. Also, listening to music at a very low volume causes the sub to shut off (guess the signal is not strong enough for the sub to pick up).
Old 06-02-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hummm....I don't have that issue at all.

When my receiver comes on, so does the sub even if I haven't started music or a movie. What I meant by signal was some sort of signal but not necessarily music or sound. I have never had my sub go into standby (that I'm aware of) so long as the receiver was powered up. I also have never had it (again that I'm aware of) go into standby at very low volume levels. And since I have small speakers and have my speakers set to small, I'm sure I would notice.
Old 06-02-09, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Hummm....I don't have that issue at all.

When my receiver comes on, so does the sub even if I haven't started music or a movie. What I meant by signal was some sort of signal but not necessarily music or sound. I have never had my sub go into standby (that I'm aware of) so long as the receiver was powered up. I also have never had it (again that I'm aware of) go into standby at very low volume levels. And since I have small speakers and have my speakers set to small, I'm sure I would notice.
really? well what other signal would be sent by the receiver besides sound? My speakers are set to small also. Weird.
Old 06-02-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I rememebr having this discussion on here recently with someone. I used the outlet on the backs of my receivers for years to power my sub (120W) and never had a prob
That was me. I agree with the others that this is generally a bad idea. Here's some technical thoughts. Note that I'll use the full ampere and amplifier in this post to distinguish, since they are both usually shortened to amp and that could be confusing.

It is likely that another amplifier would draw too much power for the power circuits in the receiver, causing a fire hazard, or at least destruction-of-receiver hazard. eg., my receiver's switched outputs are rated at 120 watt, 1 ampere. That is the total for the 2 outlets, it is NOT the rating for each outlet. It is most important to not overshoot the ampere rating, the wattage is a little less of an issue, esp since watts on the outlets and watts in an amplifier are not exactly the same. (at least, not the printed material) But frankly, I'd stay far away from either rating when checking the draw of attached equipment.

I suppose a sub from a low-end package can be low enough power draw to survive that long, esp if it is rated like most receivers. The 120 watt rating on your sub is probably not accurate, so that wouldn't really be the way to compare. Ampere is going to be the issue, anyway. My sub's BASH amplifier says it has a 6 ampere electrical draw. Plugging that into my receiver would not a good idea. Although, it would probably just blow the fuse in the receiver or sub. I do have a pretty hefty sub, it's actually higher draw/wattage than my 7 channel receiver.

There's really no reason to plug it in like that, there are certainly enough ways around it that are much safer. Power strips come in all shapes and sizes, and can be placed out of the way very easily, attached to the back of cabinets or whatever. Here's something nice and cheap, but capable, I don't know why anyone would even hesitate:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-P6B-120V-S...4002929&sr=8-4

Last edited by Spiky; 06-02-09 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
The receiver I recently purchased (Pioneer 1019-AH) does not have an outlet on the back so I have to use the standby mode also. Using the receiver to power the sub is better IMO. If there is no signal during a movie for 5 or so mins. the sub shuts off and then powers on again when a signal is sent but takes a few seconds before sound actually comes out of the sub. Also, listening to music at a very low volume causes the sub to shut off (guess the signal is not strong enough for the sub to pick up).
I had the same issue during setup. Turn up the sub setting in the receiver and turn down the sub volume to compensate. You should be able to find a spot that works. It is all sound signal, but it should be able to "hear" it even with no or very low sound.

If that doesn't work, there is another option that should cover anything, if your receiver has the connections to do it. Plug the sub into the Front outputs instead of the Sub output. Change front speakers to Large in the receiver settings. Calibration gets a little trickier, but this should definitely give enough power in the signal sent to the sub so it will stay On.

Last edited by Spiky; 06-02-09 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-02-09, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
I had the same issue during setup. Turn up the sub setting in the receiver and turn down the sub volume to compensate. You should be able to find a spot that works. It is all sound signal, but it should be able to "hear" it even with no or very low sound.

If that doesn't work, there is another option that should cover anything, if your receiver has the connections to do it. Plug the sub into the Front outputs instead of the Sub output. Change front speakers to Large in the receiver settings. Calibration gets a little trickier, but this should definitely give enough power in the signal sent to the sub so it will stay On.
Im definitely going to try that. Thanks.
Old 06-03-09, 07:41 AM

Wow, I didn't know that using the receiver to power the sub was such a hot topic!
The reason I am currently doing that is I currently have a Pioneer HTIAB (it was just the receiver and speakers, no dvd player included) and the instructions stated to do this. Now that I am moving into the realm of buying seperate receiver and speakers, I just assumed that this was a common way of hooking things up so that you wouldn't have to turn off the sub seperately, which I had to do with my previous HTIAB, and that was annoying.

I guess I need some education on how subs with more than a power cord, volume dial, and single RCA input should be used and hooked up. Someone have a quick primer on this?

I plan on buying the Polk Audio RM75 Speaker System (4 satellites and 1 center) and either the PSW111 or PSW110 sub.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-03-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was thinking about utilizing the outlet in the back of my reciever to power a small fan (if I can find one quiet enough) to pull hot air away from my components. Is this a bad idea? I figured it would just kick on when the receiver was powered up to keep things cooler, however, I've read that some cooling pads/intercooler type devices can harm components (see xbox 360).

Don't mean to threadjack, just thought I'd use the opportunity while the rear reciever plug is being discussed.
Old 06-03-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did that for awhile. Worked fine. Get a quiet computer fan or two, ought to be around $10 each. Grab a spare AC transformer from something you've thrown away and wire it to the fans. If you want to get fancy, get an adjustable AC-DC converter so you can change the fan speed.

No 4-10" tabletop fan can match the quiet of this setup. Or the size. The PC fans could even be built into your cabinet if you want.
Old 06-03-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
I was thinking about utilizing the outlet in the back of my reciever to power a small fan (if I can find one quiet enough) to pull hot air away from my components. Is this a bad idea? I figured it would just kick on when the receiver was powered up to keep things cooler, however, I've read that some cooling pads/intercooler type devices can harm components (see xbox 360).

Don't mean to threadjack, just thought I'd use the opportunity while the rear reciever plug is being discussed.
I've done the same thing. You can get AC fans at Radioshack, or you can use an inverter for a computer fan.