DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Denon 3808CI or something else? (Budget up to $1k)

Old 05-18-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Denon 3808CI or something else? (Budget up to $1k)

Okay, I can't believe I'm still looking at the 18+ month old 3808CI as my next receiver (I mainly want to use it as a pre/pro due to having an amp that's 4-6 ohm friendly for my speakers), and I've been looking at the other offerings, but now that 3808CI can be had for $999.99 shipped, it's looking better than other choices that are in the $1500-$2000 range (Pioneer SC-05, Onkyo PR-SC886, and other). Though, on shoponkyo, a refurbed PR-SC886 can be had for $1200.

I've love to jump on a $500 receiver, but most in that price range doesn't offer audio pre-outs for my external amp.

I couldn't believe how hot the Onkyo receivers "ran" when I saw them at a local Fry's.

Pioneer just scares me as a consumer electronics manufacturer at the moment.

My particular lists of wants for a pre/pro section on a receiver:

(I may run into issues with the actual number of inputs as they are spread among different input types, even assignable, but I'm sure I can work around such limitations or retire some gear if need be).

3 component video inputs/1 output
3 or 4 HDMI inputs/1 HDMI output
4 composite video/S-video inputs/1 output
2/2 Toslink/Coax digital audio inputs

5.1 audio pre-outs to feed external amp (7.1 is also fine)
5.1 analog audio input (7.1 is also fine)

Current advanced audio codecs decoding on Blu-ray discs and HD DVDs. (But I think I can live without bitsteaming and just rely on the BD/HD DVD player to do the decoding for the dts-MA, and Dolby TrueHD, but I think those issues can be addressed through upgrading its firmware with its built-in ethernet port)

Video upconverting would be a plus, not a deal-breaker.
Built-in audio calibration would be a bonus as well.

So, should I wait for something else to show up on the horizon soon, like the new offerings from Denon, or give in to the 3808CI?
Old 05-18-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Denon 3808CI or something else? (Budget up to $1k)

what kind of display do you have? Many upconverts use a Farajouda chip which can result in macroblocking.....at least from what I read a while ago. I don't know if it's still the case. Almost everything uses Farajouda, unfortunately.

what phono input? I only ask because I'm also looking but would like a phono input.....although, I have a separate phono pre-amp, so I guess that's probably just as good.
Old 05-18-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've got a Samsung HL-67A750 for the display.

No need for a phono input, haven't spun a record in over a decade.
Old 05-18-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Should ship in June. Lower price than those receivers, should be higher audio quality. Smaller chassis. It may be one Svideo shy of what you posted, but if you are moving forward I'll bet you can work around it. And you wouldn't need all the extra outputs, if the discussion about the latest Faroudja (Genesis Torino, this does not have the faulty 2310) is true.
Old 05-19-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the Emotiva link, looks interesting.

What I do what to know is this: There are 5 HDMI inputs (labelled IN1, IN2, IN3, IN4, IN5), and 3 Component video inputs (labelled IN1, IN2, IN3).

If I connect the HDMI IN1 input, and the component IN1 input, is there any conflict, or is there a way to select the HDMI IN1 input or the Component IN1 input as the source, or does HDMI override component if active? I guess I'm asking if I can truly connect 5 HDMI sources and 3 component video sources to this pre/pro, or am I limited to 5 input sources (combos ranging from 5 HDMI and 0 component, to 2 HDMI and 3 component).
Old 05-19-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

Should ship in June. Lower price than those receivers, should be higher audio quality. Smaller chassis. It may be one Svideo shy of what you posted, but if you are moving forward I'll bet you can work around it. And you wouldn't need all the extra outputs, if the discussion about the latest Faroudja (Genesis Torino, this does not have the faulty 2310) is true.
that emotiva is pretty nice. What would be a good amp or separate for speakers? I have a 2.0 setup at the moment, but may expand to 5.1 down the road. I notice the audio outputs are different than most receivers and not really knowledgeable about separates...

also, I have a TH-50PHD8UK and am still concerned about Farajouda. Is this one better than previous?
Old 05-19-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

just dont use the upscaling capabilities of the receiver. most displays (and specifically your Panny) will do a much better job of upscaling then your receiver will. most receivers have the option to pass through the video which will then let your display upscale it.

and Patman, the Yamaha 665 is a good choice for a Pre-pro. I would never use the amps built in, but the guts should be a good pre-pro. I wouldn't spend 1k on that Denon to not use the amps. i just feel like a lot of that cost is the amps built in.
Old 05-19-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember reading about the Yammy RX-V665, but it was a mixed bag for my circumstances:

Unassignable HDMI inputs or digital audio inputs per AV input, and it was problematic to hook up a Wii via component video (at 480p) if you wanted to utilize video upconversion. But for $500, it's a nice receiver for someone with less demanding requirements. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-19-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know from firsthand on the Emotiva. But it does claim full assignability. (word?)

I'm waiting for its big brother, actually.

As for amps, the items in this thread all have unbalanced output. So a good amp of any sort would be good. Adcom, Emotiva, Outlaw, Parasound, etc.
Old 05-19-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to keep using my old but venerable, modest, 5-channel 85W/channel Harman Kardon amp because I know it provides enough power to drive my home-made 4-6 ohm speakers in my HT setup..
Old 05-19-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, and the new Faroudja is supposed to kick ass. But this is one of the first products to actually have it. I've seen supposed reviews putting it superior to the Reon.