Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD player w/ 540 lines resolution?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD player w/ 540 lines resolution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-00, 03:48 AM
BEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Toshiba DVD players have a specified resolution of 540 lines. I'm a bit confused. I thought the limit of the DVD medium was 480i. How does Toshiba get 540? Somekind of partial progressive scan spec (1 + 1/8 TV field)?
Old 05-11-00, 12:37 PM

All players should be able to properly produce 540 lines of resolution. While it is correct that our NTSC sets only display 480 lines, the other 60 lines of information includes overscan and certain other technical data on how your set is to display the information.

Please note that this assumes a perfect world in which everthing is properly mastered, produced, transmitted and displayed. You get the picture, this only works in theory.

If you want to know the true resolution of your player and set use Avia's resoltion pattern.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 05-11-00, 10:16 PM
BEC

Thanks Aleve90.

Upon further reading, I did find that 540 TV lines of resolution is the theoretical maximum for a NTSC image, even though the image is made up of only 480 active horizontal scan lines. The trick is resolution is defined as the number of lines resolved from a STANDARDIZED TEST PATTERN, not the number of lines used to make picture.

The discrepency of 60 is not the found in the inactive lines as you suggested, but rather in a difference in scaling. (A NTSC frame consists of 525 total lines, not 540: 480 used for the image and 45 used for synching, overscan, ... ).

Anyway, the reason I brought this up was because:

1.Toshiba says the 1200&2200 have improved resolution over the 2109&3109 (540 to 480),which I thought was unlikely.

2. etown.com only measured 480 lines for the 1200&2200 using video essentials. They seem a little confused as well, siting 480 lines of resolution as the limit of the DVD format.

In spite of what Toshiba says, has anyone been able to measure this increase in resolution? The reviewer at etown wasn't able to.
Old 05-11-00, 10:47 PM

I have a Toshiba 2200 and the Avia DVD.

BEC, if you can tell me how to mesure the res, I'll do for you.

My TV is a Sony KV27S66, if that makes a diff.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 05-12-00, 12:31 AM
BEC

Thanks tricky76!
I usually use video essentials resolution test (series of bars) . Not sure if Avia's is the same. I'll email you.

I just asked L. Ullman (the etown editor) in a Yahoo chatroom about the 540 line spec. He said it was BS. Still, it'd be interesting to see what you measure...

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old 05-12-00, 12:56 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BEC:
Thanks tricky76!
I usually use video essentials resolution test (series of bars) . Not sure if Avia's is the same. I'll email you.
<HR>

Sounds good...

quote:<HR>I just asked L. Ullman (the etown editor) in a Yahoo chatroom about the 540 line spec. He said it was BS. Still, it'd be interesting to see what you measure...<HR>

Indeed... I decided to mess around with Avia anyways and on the Info sheet about the TVL 100 and TVL 200 resolution paterns, it said 540 is the maximum for DVD... so...

I guess we all have to take information with a grain of salt these days.

Cheers,
Patrick