DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   I Need Universal Remote Suggestions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/555077-i-need-universal-remote-suggestions.html)

NotThatGuy 05-14-09 10:15 PM

I Need Universal Remote Suggestions

I am tired of having so many remotes laying around.....

Here is my setup:

Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1
Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U
PS3
DirectTV (Hopefully.....stuck w/Comcast at the moment)

I am looking in the $100 or less range.

I found a great deal on a Logitech Harmony 659, though I'm not sure that will do everything I need.

Suggestions?

Walker Boh 05-14-09 10:30 PM

Re: I Need Universal Remote Suggestions

Your main problem is going to be that the PS3 doesn't work with an IR remote. Two solutions to this: either a USB dongle that plugs into the PS3 and captures the signals, or an external device that captures remote signals and sends it to the PS3 via bluetooth signals.

Logitech has a bluetooth adapter (Amazon), but it's $60.

The USB solution (Amazon) uses one of your 2-4 ports (depending on which model of PS3 you have), but it's a lot cheaper ($15). Unfortunately, you won't be able to turn on your PS3 using the remote if you go this route, but after that everything else should work fine.

fumanstan 05-14-09 10:51 PM

I absolutely love my Harmony One, so I definitely recommend any Harmony remote.

NotThatGuy 05-14-09 10:56 PM

I can deal with the PS3 (as I have the PS3 remote), but juggle my other remotes is getting annoying.

Sdallnct 05-14-09 11:06 PM

Harmony.

shelland 05-15-09 08:16 AM

I have three different Harmony remotes, and love them all. I'd go with the One if you're willing to spend that much (although I don't have that model myself).

steebo777 05-15-09 08:26 AM

I use a Harmony 500series for main floor viewing and an 880 my home theater. I honestly can say I could not live without them. Once you program them the way you want, you'll only need that remote.

Larry C. 05-15-09 10:20 AM

Do yourself a favor and read up on the Universal Remote brand I have two MX-800's and its the best thing ever. Ebay has the 500 and 650's in ur range. Check it out. You could also look at reviews at remote central. The MX500 is an awesome unit, someone has it for 70 check out the review http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

This remote became extremely popular when it came packaged with the B&K AVR507 receiver.

NotThatGuy 05-15-09 01:35 PM

That is a fugly remote....but if it works, so be it.

Larry C. 05-15-09 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue (Post 9446417)
That is a fugly remote....but if it works, so be it.

The MX500? Maybe but I used to be a Manager of Sound Advice then became part of Tweeter and it was by far our best seller and all of our installer/programers agreed it was the best!!!

dick_grayson 05-15-09 03:14 PM

http://www.esend.com/images/201-NFL_m.jpg

The next time someone asks you to “Pass the remote,” you really can! This NFL Football universal remote is perfect for the armchair quarterback. Call the plays on your TV, VCR, cable, and satellite receiver. Even switch to AV mode for video games! The NFL Universal Remote Control works with every major brand of TV on the market. For the true fan in us, the Universal Remote Control even comes with the logo of your favorite NFL team.

http://www.esend.com/Excalibur/Produ...=201-NFL(Esend)

Sdallnct 05-15-09 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777 (Post 9445728)
I use a Harmony 500series for main floor viewing and an 880 my home theater. I honestly can say I could not live without them. Once you program them the way you want, you'll only need that remote.

The Harmony 880 is the only reason my wife will even use my media room. Before I got it, she wouldn't go in there as she couldn't figure it out. Now she just presses "Watch TV" or "Watch DVD" and she is set to go.

My 880 is several years old. And some of the buttons are as responsive as they use to be. I may look to replace it even upgrade. But I'm sticking with Harmony.

shelland 05-15-09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 9445946)
Do yourself a favor and read up on the Universal Remote brand I have two MX-800's and its the best thing ever. Ebay has the 500 and 650's in ur range. Check it out. You could also look at reviews at remote central. The MX500 is an awesome unit, someone has it for 70 check out the review http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

This remote became extremely popular when it came packaged with the B&K AVR507 receiver.

I have had an MX-500 for about 6 years. I replaced it about 18 months ago with a Harmony 880 and the MX-500 is sitting in a drawer with the rest of my remotes. Not that I necessarily disliked it, but I do like the Harmonies better. But that's me. :D

Straker 05-15-09 08:25 PM

I got a refurbished Harmony 880 from Amazon a few months ago for $75, though I don't know if it's still going for that price. I use it to control my Samsung HDTV, Samsung HTiB, and Verizon FIOS HD box. It's definitely better than juggling 3 remotes, but it's also got its annoying quirks. I suspect the different functions of the HTiB receiver (DVD, radio, CD, TV, etc.) sometimes confuse the 880.

Sdallnct 05-15-09 08:54 PM

Yea, I should have picked up a back up 880 when they had that price. I'd almost bet money the remote itself was not refurbished. Harmony had some quality control issues with the charging cradle. They ended up making a new one. When I got mine it wouldn't charge in the cradle and did a google and tons of people were having that problem and returning them. I called Harmony and they overnighted me one at no charge of course. I've never had a problem since. And I bet the majority of those refurbished were returned for that reason and Harmony just put in a new cradle.

Gojhawks 05-15-09 09:03 PM

I wore out a Harmony 659 and replaced it with a refurbished 670 for around $70. I could not be happier with what I have.

movie diva 05-15-09 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue (Post 9445143)
I am tired of having so many remotes laying around.....

Here is my setup:

Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1
Panasonic Viera TH-42PX80U
PS3
DirectTV (Hopefully.....stuck w/Comcast at the moment)

I am looking in the $100 or less range.

I found a great deal on a Logitech Harmony 659, though I'm not sure that will do everything I need.

Suggestions?

I have the Harmony 820 best hundred dollars, I ever spent got rid of 6 remotes, I have mine set up so when I use my PS3 it will put everything on the corrrect imput and then I use the remote or controller to turn on the PS3.I got my remote from Costco

David Levine 05-15-09 09:09 PM

I had a Harmony 880 for years and it was solid. I replaced it a few month ago with a ONE, and its night and day. Great buttons, great layout, big and customizable touchscreen.

Its pretty much perfect. I bought the 12.00 PS3 IR remote for the dongle and it works great with the Harmony. Does everything but turn it on and off, but since I don't leave discs in the PS3, I have to go over to it anyways.

shelland 05-16-09 09:54 PM

I bought the warranty on my 880 at Best Buy - I have to admit I hope it dies before the warranty expires so I can get a One to replace it. :D

TheKobra 05-17-09 08:53 AM

Another vote for the 880. I have two of them and they perform great. I also have an MX-500 for about 6-7 (guessing) years. Once I purchased the 880 it by the way side.

Sdallnct 05-17-09 10:23 AM

I love my 880! But, I'd look at some of the newer models as well. It is the programing that make Harmony "all that". And I love the features of the 880. However, ideally I'd like a little better buttons. Some of the often used buttons are either small or hard to use at night. Sure once you get use to it, not a big deal.

And this is really nit picking. If I can get a deal on an 880 I'll get another one in a heart beat. But if they are full price, I'd look at a new version for better buttons.

Raul3 05-17-09 11:52 PM

I also have the 880 and I love it. I don't have any complaint about the buttons or anything. But I've seen the One and I really like it. That'd be my number one recommendation if price is not an issue.

SUPERMANROB 05-18-09 07:21 PM

I also would recommend Harmony. I had the 880 and was very happy with it but I found a great deal on the ONE and could not pass it up.I would have to agree it's alot better than the 880. I will say if you find the 880 for $70 or so,I would be hard pressed not to get it. My 880 is stored away till I figure out what to do with it. I thought of selling it but it's a really good remote.

bootsy 05-18-09 08:54 PM

How does the Harmony 880 work with Directv receivers. Specifically HR22. I have this receiver and the remote turns off/on the TV and receiver. Does this remote do this as well.

Sdallnct 05-18-09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy (Post 9452496)
How does the Harmony 880 work with Directv receivers. Specifically HR22. I have this receiver and the remote turns off/on the TV and receiver. Does this remote do this as well.

I'm not sure what your asking. But regardless, yes the Harmony will do it.

If you are unfamiliar with Harmony, it is all about their on line set up and activities (macro's). In fact, you use to be able to "test drive" a Harmony by going to the site and basically setting up a remote even if you don't have one. This allow you to see their extensive data base.

Once you load in all your equipment, you then set up activities. For example, I have a Optoma projector, Monoprice HDMI switcher, H/K receiver, Toshiba HD DVD player, Dish Network HD receiver, Lutron remote light switch and PS3.

One activity I easily set up was "Watch DVD". Pressing a single button will:

Turn on the project
Set my Monoprice HDMI switcher to the appropriate output
Turn on the Toshiba HD DVD player
Turn on the H/K receiver and have the audio set to DVD
and turns my lights down to movie watching level