Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Digital EX - which receivers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dolby Digital EX - which receivers?

Old 04-06-00, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please forgive me if this has been asked before as I rarely check this section of the DVDTalk forums. My question is simple - Which receivers make use of the Dolby Digital EX feature? This EX thingy is available on DVDs such as Austin Powers 2 and The Haunting. I'm planning to upgrade to a receiver which has not only DTS but DDEX as well. (Not that my current DD receiver is bad ) Thanks in advance!

------------------

Gore for President!
Old 04-07-00, 12:01 AM

None. Dolby EX is only available for home use from THX (THX Surround EX). Check out the Onkyo 989. It comes out this month and is the only receiver that has a built in 7-channel amplifier (7 channels are needed for Surround EX). All other receivers like Marantz and Denon require you to attach an additional amplifier, which is a huge pain in the ass.
Old 04-07-00, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I wouldn't say 'none' Mojo75. The new Yamaha RX-V1 features six 110-watt channels, plus two 35 watt effects channels to decode all Dolby Digital and DTS 6.1 channel formats.
I'm looking at this one myself, and if I'm correct it goes for about $3,000-$4,000.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude
[email protected]
Old 04-07-00, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also Outlaw Audio (only over internet and through OneCall.com) has a 7-channel processor, tuner, amp coming out in a month or two... check out onecall....

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 04-08-00, 10:36 PM

This months Sound & Vision has a review on the Yamaha RX-V1. What a monster!! This big boy has more hook ups than a battleship. It has Dolby EX, DTS ES, and 2 other front effect channels that I'm having trouble figuring up what they do. That bring it to 8.1, this is getting a little out of hand. Of course at $3300.00 I don't see me having one any time soon.
Greg
Old 04-09-00, 04:36 PM

Greg,

I think the Yamaha RX-V1 has those extra front effect channels for the SDDS sound system from Sony. If I remember correctly the SDDS system uses a Centre, A left Centre, A right Centre, Left and right Channels and split surrounds. I may be mistaken and I couldn't quote anyone on the info.

Ian

------------------
"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are."
Buckaroo Banzai
Old 04-09-00, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Buckaroo Banzai:
Greg,

I think the Yamaha RX-V1 has those extra front effect channels for the SDDS sound system from Sony. If I remember correctly the SDDS system uses a Centre, A left Centre, A right Centre, Left and right Channels and split surrounds. I may be mistaken and I couldn't quote anyone on the info.

Ian

<HR>

I don’t think this is the case...

#1 Sony-Columbia-Tristar have not announced any plans to release a disc with a SDDS track on it.
#2 To my knowledge no consumer SDDS decoder exists. The Yamaha does not include a SDDS decoder.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 04-10-00, 12:00 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks a bit too pricey for me. Hopefully that price will turn reasonable by next year when my wife and I buy our first home.
Old 04-11-00, 02:10 AM

The Denon 4800 features EX decoding.

As to the issue of SDDS, the front effects channels used in higher-end Yamaha recievers are matrixed from the front mains, to give added "depth" to the sound... those channels, unlike SDDS, is in no way discrete.

Cheers,
Mal
Old 05-03-00, 01:33 PM

The Onkyo TX-DS989 features THX-EX and many other features. I have setup a forum specifically for it here-
http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdan...formationforum

Spero D.
Old 05-03-00, 01:45 PM
AW

The Yamaha RX-V1 has Dolby Digital EX (it has two front effects sppeakers (not for SDDS, but for Yamahas DSP programs) and a rear center that is matrixed from the L-rear and R-rear -- they call it "digital matrix 6.1," but it will decode dolby digital ex). See the following from the description from the Yamaha web site http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...AVR00010RX-V1:

DIGITAL MATRIX 6.1 AND DTS ES*The lastest technology for movie theaters, 6.1-channel surround is now available for the home. The additional channel provides a rear center for a more complete surround experience. Utilizing a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital or DTS signal, Yamaha's Matrix Decoder automatically extracts a rear center signal. If the rear channel is a stereo multi-channel signal, the effect can be turned on manually, even without an identification signal.

[This message has been edited by AW (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 02:47 PM

The Denon AVR-4800 requires a separate amp (Denon's POA-2500, I believe, should do) for the center rear-surround channels in EX. The step-up AVR-5800 will have onboard amplification for all "seven" channels.

Lisel
Old 05-03-00, 07:46 PM
BEC

A separate processor and stereo amp/mono blocks will get you DD EX for about the same cost w/room for future improvement.

Doug917 in another post mentioned the Lexicon DC-2 will run around $3-$4k for decoded EX (as well as DTS and DD). If your old receiver has six channel decoder inputs, you can get by w/a stereo amp (Rotel) for $500 or a couple of monoblocks for the other channels. You won't be stuck w/30-40 watts for the back channels. The total is about the same or less as getting a flagship receiver w/more ability to upgrade and you don't have to scrap the old receiver. Plus, you get 7 channel DSP capability. You can use the 7 speakers for all your non-EX sources, rather than just for the handful of DVD's that are/will be out there.

Upgrading is pretty easy - you buy a new card and down load some software. I watched a salesman upgrade a DC-1 ($2.5K) to DD EX. Costs an extra $200 for the module card and download. That's a lot better than spending $3K everytime a new sound format comes out.

B and K Ref 20 processor (DTS) runs less than $2.5K. B and K Ref 30 (DD-EX) will be around $2.9K. Their upgrades are little more expensive, about $500. Still better than buying a new receiver every two years ...

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-04-00, 01:24 AM
Cool New Member

You might also want to check out the HK avr 9000. It will be out later this summer if not fall. It will be THX and 7.1 with EX surround. Not sure of the price but most likely same as all others $3,000.
Old 05-05-00, 05:10 AM

What about the cheap sherwood 8090? The web page at www.sherwoodusa.com says this thing has outputs for future expandability to Doblby EX...
Old 05-05-00, 08:11 PM
BEC

Sherwood's Dolby Ex receiver is the R-956.
Est. cost $2.5K. The RVD-8090R is a DTS 5.1 (6 channel) receiver, not EX. Sherwood makes a separate processor, the AVP 9080. It's NOT upgradeable, not sure if it handles EX.
Old 05-07-00, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hope you catch this GotDVD before you give up and EX. True, in the near future only THX units will be availible with EX surround sound but right now you can get the Outlaw Audio 1050 Receiver for $599 factory direct www.outlawaudio.com which is 65x6 (20-20khz) DTS, DD, and DD EX surround. I'd hurry though, I think this agreement between THX and Dolby is going to really limit the number of affordable EX players on the market.
Old 05-08-00, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought the Yamaha DSP AX-1 this past weekend (its the Japanese version of the RX-V1). It does have 8 amps inside, so Onkyo cannot claim to be the first 7.1 amp. I haven't found a disk to test the extended sound features yet, but DD sound is fantastic!!

Here is the japanese webpage if you'd like to take a look.
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/av/j...pav/index.html

I paid about $2300 USD (249,999 yen) for this, list is 350,000 yen, so I got a great deal.

Enjoy!

Geno
Old 05-08-00, 10:49 PM
BEC

Poorboy,

Just to clarify, the Outlaw does not have DD EX, but it does have it's own version of 6.1. Here's a clipping from Outlaw's FAQ's email on the 1050, 6.1, DD-EX, and THX :

Q. What is the Surround 6.1 Mode?
A. The Model 1050 uses a proprietary circuit design that derives a center surround channel from special surround information encoded in the discrete left and right surround channels of many new Dolby Digital®
releases. The extra channel adds increased dimension to fly-overs and creates more spacious and enveloping sound fields. This added channel may also be derived from non-6.1 encoded Dolby Digital 5.1 programs, but as with any matrix decoding system, the effectiveness will vary based on
the ambient material in the sound track. (Note that not all Dolby Digital
sources were mixed for 5.1 sound, and thus the process will not work on
"4:2:4" matrix soundtracks, or on mono or two-channel stereo programs.)

Q. Is this the same as Surround-EX®?
A. No, Surround-EX is a different process. However, our own Surround
6.1 technology and proprietary decoding algorithms, developed in
conjunction with Zoran Corporation, are fully capable of recognizing and
decoding the 6.1 channel material encoded on an increasing number of Dolby
Digital DVD releases.

Q. Why didn't you just offer Surround-EX?
A. We know that many of you have expressed interest in Surround-EX, but at this time it is only available in full THX® certified products. It is just not possible to include the total package of technologies
required for THX certification and still meet our $599 price target. For
that reason, we developed our own alternative process, Surround 6.1, and
we are extremely happy with the audible results. Of course, we invite
you to judge the quality for yourself.

No shipping dates yet. Supposed to be soon. They are in the second (and final?)round of beta testing.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old 05-09-00, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Pioneer just announced a whole new line up of EX recievers and progressive DVD's (the cheapest is at $350!). Look for them next month.