DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Give me your opinion on this TV (Samsung LN46B550)

Old 05-06-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Give me your opinion on this TV (Samsung LN46B550)

In the market for a new HDTV and wanted to hear some opinions on one I found that is within my price range. Here is the link to the Best Buy page:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218063831823

Obviously I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I can go bigger, so the 46" isn't a cap. There were bigger one's that were cheaper but I was thinking this was better quality. Just wondering if anyone knew if I could be getting a better TV within this price range (about $1000-$1300) or if anyone had first hand experience with it.

If it matters, I'm essentially using it for watching TV and playing 360.

I'm not that well versed in HDTV's, except for what I've been cramming from this forum so any help and opinion would be great.

Also I saw that this TV had a USB port on it. Is this useful for anything other than hooking up your camera or camcorder?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Give me your opinion on this TV (Samsung LN46B550)

Well, a USB port is great for updating your television's firmware. I think you could also see photos and play music from it. At least my TV does that.
Old 05-07-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ya i really have no need to set up a camera or anything to it so I was wondering how much I should weigh that feature into my decision
Old 05-07-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I guess I'll be the first to say it....

For that kind of money, I'd get a Panasonic 50" plasma. Better picture.
Old 05-07-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After much research I've been leaning towards plasma, and a Panasonic at that. do you have any links for ones in my price range?

I know for the most part it's been said that you can't see much difference in the 1080p's so would it be better to say get a 50" 720p over a 46" 1080p?

Here are the two compared.
Old 05-07-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post

I know for the most part it's been said that you can't see much difference in the 1080p's so would it be better to say get a 50" 720p over a 46" 1080p?
Well I guess I better say it depends on your definition of "better".

But YES! IMO the 720 50" Plasma will have a better picture then the 1080p LCD.

Two things;

It will be hard if impossible to see the difference between 720p and 1080p on that small of a set unless you are sitting way to close.
Even if my some miracle you could see the difference, resolution is generally accepted as only the 4th or so most important factors in picture quality. Black levels, color, contrast are all more important. And the plasma is better in all these areas.

Having said that, you could probably get the 1080p panny plasma pretty darn close to your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...1733489&sr=8-9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889187113

Though I'd really check the usual deal sites. I've seen the 720p version for as little as $850 or less and the 1080p version for around $1250 or less.
Old 05-07-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well I guess I better say it depends on your definition of "better".

But YES! IMO the 720 50" Plasma will have a better picture then the 1080p LCD.

Two things;

It will be hard if impossible to see the difference between 720p and 1080p on that small of a set unless you are sitting way to close.
Even if my some miracle you could see the difference, resolution is generally accepted as only the 4th or so most important factors in picture quality. Black levels, color, contrast are all more important. And the plasma is better in all these areas.

Having said that, you could probably get the 1080p panny plasma pretty darn close to your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...1733489&sr=8-9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889187113

Though I'd really check the usual deal sites. I've seen the 720p version for as little as $850 or less and the 1080p version for around $1250 or less.
The two TV's I linked to were both plasmas. So between a 720p plasma and 1080p plasma the differences still won't be that noticeable?

Sorry but what are the usual deal sites? I would really rather not buy one from Best Buy.

Also how worried should I be with plasmas and playing my 360 alot? I know they say that burn in has been improved on recently.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 05-07-09 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Look, IMO your not going to see a difference between 720p and 1080p on that small of a set unless your sitting way to close (less then 7-8 feet). The obvious exception is if you are using as a computer monitor. However, the price of 1080p has come down so much, if you have any doubts at all, get the 1080p. When 1080p was 2X or 3X the cost, I always argued it wasn't worth it. But with only a couple hundred difference get the 1080p even if IMO it is only for "comfort level" or your friend won't make fun....LOL

For deal sites, I like Fatwallet and Slickdeals. But of course don't forget the "hot deal" thread at DVDTalk.

No you shouldn't be worried about burn in on a modern, quality plasma. Some people "break in" a new plasma for the first 100 hrs or so but there is argument if it really does anything.
Old 05-08-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for all your help. I think we're leaning towards the Panasonic TC-P50G10. It's at the top of my budget but it's gotten pretty good reviews from cnet.com.

It's 50" and I'll be sitting 10 feet away so like you said I won't be able to see the difference but since it fit in the budget I figured why not.
Old 05-08-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well the nice thing is since you can hang it on a wall, you might move to say a bar or small bedroom when you want to upgrade again in a couple years. So it is possible the 1080p will be worth while down the road.
Old 05-08-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ya that's true, it fits in the price range so I decided to order it from Amazon
Old 05-08-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice. Don't for get to get a nice set up DVD or at least go over to AVS to find some good calibration settings. Can make all the difference in the world.
Old 05-08-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow they are ridiculous at the AVS forums. They are WAY beyond me, I don't know what theyre even talking about 80% of the time.

Thanks for the input. I ordered it from Amazon and have been hearing some people getting it within 3 days so I'll let you know what I think.
Old 05-09-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
Wow they are ridiculous at the AVS forums. They are WAY beyond me, I don't know what theyre even talking about 80% of the time.

Thanks for the input. I ordered it from Amazon and have been hearing some people getting it within 3 days so I'll let you know what I think.
Yea...it can overwhelming over at AVS. I suggest just finding the thread on your particular model and bookmark it. Then when you have some time read through and see what settings everyone is using.
Old 05-09-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea...it can overwhelming over at AVS. I suggest just finding the thread on your particular model and bookmark it. Then when you have some time read through and see what settings everyone is using.

...which is exactly what I did, though I have 88 pages to sift through.
Old 05-09-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Trust me...it is soooooo worth it. Unless you got the bucks to hire someone or your want to get a DVD and do it yourself.

It is literally night and day difference between pulling it out of the box and then calibrating. Even if you are "stealing" someone else's settings.
Old 05-10-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trust me...it is soooooo worth it. Unless you got the bucks to hire someone or your want to get a DVD and do it yourself.

It is literally night and day difference between pulling it out of the box and then calibrating. Even if you are "stealing" someone else's settings.
What are some good cheap DVD's?

Last edited by rocketsauce; 05-11-09 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got the Panasonic 50 in. G10 delivered yesterday and it's great.

Question, netflix has the Avia II: A Guide to Home Theater dvd available and was wondering if it was any good to callibrate the picture? It looks like it has other stuff for audio and what not but I'm only interested in the picture settings. If it's not that great can you reccomend one? Would be nice just being able to rent it rather than buy one.
Old 05-13-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Avia is pretty good. Most of these discs have a flaw or two, which you can search out on the net and work around. But they are all much better than not using one at all.
Old 05-14-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, I can't even begin to justify spending the amount of money it costs to have someone come to my house and callibrate it. If I can get one of these discs trhough netflix I'll go that route. Though I've been using some settings I found on cnet and it looks fine to me, but I'm no where near neing a videophile.