Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are DirecTv local stations (CBS, ABC,etc.) broadcast in HDTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Are DirecTv local stations (CBS, ABC,etc.) broadcast in HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-00, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone who has Directv know if they're available in HDTV (for the shows that use it of course). I'm getting an HDTV tomorrow (probably the new Toshiba DW65X91) that has a built-in HDTV decoder & built-in Directv satellite reciever with Smart Card, etc.). The only thing I should need is the actual dish. However the tv salesman said I'll need a digital antenna to get CBS, etc in HDTV (only HBO & PPV are in HDTV on Directv he thought). He thinks Directv local station broadcasts are standard cable signal, not HDTV signal. Directv salesman said that all the stations (including CBS, etc.) that have HDTV shows will be broadcast that way (he used the SuperBowl as an example- ABC?). Now the tv salesman says I might get those stations if I use an elliptical dish- then I wouldn't need the digital antenna. But the only elliptical dish he knows of also comes w/ a decoder & costs about $1,000 & I won't need the decoder. Directv guy said I could get an elliptical dish on their website for $129, but I don't see anywhere to buy stuff. Anyone know if these stations are broadcast in HDTV by DirecTv? It would save me alot of money if they were. If not anyone know where I could get an ellipitcal dish?
Old 05-04-00, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, but it all depends on where you live. The new Hughes receiver will accept HDTV and analog. Check your local area.
Old 05-04-00, 03:10 PM

El Kabong, as I stated in your other post -- No DBS system currently broadcasts network HD programing. Period. While it is true that both DTV and Dish broadcast local-to-local standard-def network feeds to most of the the U.S., neither currently does, or has the capacity to, broadcast local HD feeds throughout the country and neither even broadcasts a national network HD feed.

DirecTV only has HBO-HD (west coast) and the PPV/Demo channel (which is on two channels). Dish as HBO-HD (east coast), Showtime-HD (east coast) and talk of adding a third channel (rummor is Discovery-HD, but this is only a rummor). This the straight truth and I don't take offense that you wanted confirmation to my other response.

I suggest you check out a current thread on the avsforum regarding the current stated of DirecTV v. Dish HD programing. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/003726.html That is a great forum, but please be responsible in posting in this forum and do a search before asking any questions.

The only way to get network HD programing is by an antenna -- likely UHF-only if all your HD broadcasts are in the UHF band. This is what I'm doing and have my choice between Washington D.C. and Baltimore HD channels.

El Kabong: Please clarify your response, you make it sound as if their are actual broadcasts. You are correct that the new Hughes system can pick up both OTA and Sat HDTV broadcasts from DirecTV, but you fail to state the limited extent of actual HD programing. Please do not spread any misleading information regarding HDTV. We have a hard enough time with the inempt salespeople at Circuit City and Best Buy.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 05-05-00, 01:42 PM

Here is some added support directly from DirecTv that they only carries two HD channels.

1) DirecTv's HDTV FAQ: http://www.directv.com:80/overview/o...98,73,00..html

2) DirecTv news release when they added the PPV channel: http://www.directv.com:80/press/pres...12,238,00.html

I realize there is a lot of misinformation about HDTV out there and I would like to clarify my own response above. I overstated that the only way to get network HD programing is via antenna. This is not totally correct. Some Time-Warner digital cable systems carry HD programing. So it is possible to get HD via cable. But also note that "digital cable" does not equal HD and not all digital cable systems are able to currently carry HD. Currently, HD via cable is the minority distribution channel and it will take some very serious capital investing by the cable industry before they are able to carry HD. Therefore, it will not likely be any time in the near future that most cable systems carry HD.

IMHO, it will be at least 10 years before the majority of cable systems even have the ability to carry HD. But I hope sooner.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List
Old 05-06-00, 01:52 PM

Here is another source for the ellipical dish. http://www.cousinsvideo.com/ has the setup with multiswitch for $155.00. I've never dealt with them so I have no experience with them, but its a pretty good price.

Anyone know of a good source on a Panasonic TU-DST51 or 50? Drop me a line.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List