Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Stereo system for Bedroom

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Stereo system for Bedroom

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-00, 02:24 PM
Jag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a audio system for my bedroom. What would be good speakers (I am going to hook up only 3 - Front and center). I would really like something small and enough bass so that I dont need a subwoofer.

Also any receivers below $200 that people use in their bedroom. Prologic is good enough for me

Thanks
Jag
Old 05-04-00, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a Toshiba 6109C dd dts receiver/dvd player combo. If you're going to spend $200 on a receiver and then $100 or $200 on a dvd player, you might consider getting one of these from mobshop. They usually sell for under $350, I think.

Note that some people haven't had as much luck with this unit (or Mobshop) as I have. I've had no problems at all.

-S
Old 05-04-00, 09:24 PM
AW

If you are interested also in a dvd player, consider the Sony DAV-s300. I have not yet seen it, but it seemes like a good bedroom package (dd 5.1 receiver/dvd player, 5 speakers and a small subwoofer for MSRP of $600. Here is a description from a Sony press release:

Lifestyle System Opens New Doors

As part of its ongoing effort to expand the market, Sony is taking a new approach in home theater systems by introducing a new lifestyle DVD system with components that are easy to select, install and use.

The DVD Dream System (DAV-S300) has been specifically designed for those looking to add DVD entertainment to their homes.

Its sleek, compact design is ideal for today's contemporary needs, whether used in an apartment or loft, vacation home, or college dorm room.

The full 5.1 channel system incorporates an advanced digital switching amplifier that provides 180 watts of total system power. In addition to a combination DVD/CD player, the DAV-S300 features an AM/FM receiver along with Dolby Digital and dts® decoding.

To simplify setup, there are color-coded speaker connectors along with a pre-programmed A/V remote commander with a one-touch play feature.

The DAV-S300 will be available in March and is expected to sell for approximately $600.

Old 05-05-00, 11:36 AM

The Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 ($300) at www.hifi.com is basically a computer speaker that has dolby digital decoding and comes with a free dvd player. It's probably the most economical solution for a second system.

It's a good basic system that is probably all you need if you only watch movies, and pretty good for stereo as well. About the only problem may be the lack of a remote, but you may be able to put the control module closer to your seat.

For reviews look through www.audioreview.com