Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer Elite SC-05 for $725. Is Pioneer in trouble?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I stumbled upon 6thave.com's "name your own price sale" and put in an offer of $799 for a Pioneer Elite SC-05. Then I read some posts on another forum in which the poster claimed to get an offer of $649 accepted for an SC-05.

I then made an another offer of $725 (I put $725 because I thought the poster was full of BS at $649) for the SC-05 and an offer of $875 for a SC-07.

This morning I checked my email and I was accepted for $799 for a SC-05. There was no reply to my lower offers at that time. So I went to todays class and on the way home I stopped at Best Buy. I told them about the deal and asked if they could match it on the SC-05. The said no problem. I decided to buy it at Best Buy even though I had to pay tax on it. That way it would be easy to return if there were any problems with it instead of shipping it off. Total with tax came to $873.

When I got home for BB I checked my email and I had another email from 6thAve accepting my offer of $725 for the SC-05 AND $875 for the SC-07. These prices include free UPS ground shipping and no tax.

So back to BB I go. I returned the SC-05 I bought there. At this point I am thinking to hell with paying tax. On the way back I started wondering if maybe Pioneer is about to go under. Why would BB match the price of a store that is only in New York and New Jersey? (I'm in Nashville) When I first went to BB I was upfront with them that 6thAve is from the NY area (as well as an authorized dealer of Pioneer Elite), and I did not have a copy of the email showing the offer. BB offered to price match, on my word alone, a store from out of state.

I read that Pioneer is getting out of the plasma TV business, but is there actually a deeper problem with Pioneer. Are they in that bad of a financial situation that they will authorize these units to be sold so cheaply?

I am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on one of these offers now. What if they go under? Would the warranty be worthless in that case?

Should I risk buying one of these at that price?
Old 04-22-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Pioneer Elite SC-05 for $725. Is Pioneer in trouble?

At that price point can you buy an extended warranty through the reseller? At least with Best Buy if the problem can't be fixed either a full replacement or I assume an equivalently priced AV receiver would be provided.

You bring up an interesting point about Pioneer however. I just bought an SC-05 last month for about half off (though not quite as good as your prices). Love the thing dearly but if it becomes a 40LB brick in half a year I'll probably cry.
Old 04-22-09, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by visitor Q
You bring up an interesting point about Pioneer however. I just bought an SC-05 last month for about half off (though not quite as good as your prices). Love the thing dearly but if it becomes a 40LB brick in half a year I'll probably cry.
I'll join you in a few tears.

Well, I read that Pioneer will not honor the warranty on any Elite products if they are bought on line, even if it is an authorized dealer. I thought that sounded dumb, so I called Pioneer. The manager I spoke to did confirm that they will not honor the warranty if it is sold online from an authorized dealer. He stated that they must be bought in store for the warranty to be in effect.

So, back to BB I go. They would not price match the $725, but did sell it to me again at $799. To me it is worth knowing that I have a warranty, but that $725 without tax or shipping was hard to pass up.

I might try and sell my Elite 55txi on Ebay or craigslist for around $300 and see if anyone bites. I will use that towards BB's extended coverage in case Pioneer implodes.
Old 04-22-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

1st....I have no idea if Pioneer is in trouble. Wouldn't surprise me. Who is really doing well right now? Besides Wal-Mart anyway.

2nd...A deal is a deal. It won't be a 40lb brick if Pioneer goes out of business. Heck I still love and use two HD players and still buy HD DVD's (at cheaper prices then SD DVD's). For that expensive of a product, I would expect years of enjoyment who cares if the company goes out of business.

3rd...I'm thinking of taking advantage of a company going out of business. I might grab a couple of NHT speakers. Prices just to good right now.

Just enjoy what you got and no worries! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pioneer Plasma, if I could justify needing another TV.
Old 04-23-09, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Well, I read that Pioneer will not honor the warranty on any Elite products if they are bought on line, even if it is an authorized dealer. I thought that sounded dumb, so I called Pioneer. The manager I spoke to did confirm that they will not honor the warranty if it is sold online from an authorized dealer. He stated that they must be bought in store for the warranty to be in effect.
Through a quick search it appears that Elite receivers are not covered via Internet sales. Never were. I bought my own at ABT Electronics through the Internet. But I believe the catch is this - referral compared to sale. The referral came through the Internet but I actually had to place a call directly through to ABT in order for them to make the sale. The salesman I spoke to said the warranty wouldn't be a problem. So I believe that may be the actual distinction (as I understand it) when considering an order for the Elite receivers. Make sure it's done over the phone via an Authorized Dealer as listed on Pioneerelectronics own website.

I mean who's to say you weren't physically present at the storefront to buy the unit and had it shipped to another address out of state? Is there a clause within the warranty preventing that? I'd have to check but I doubt it.

I'm really not that concerned about it. Generally if something is wrong with receivers it will be fairly obvious within the typical 30 days trial period as long as all relevant testing is performed. If I begin to have channel drops or switching issues or whatever I'm sure that won't happen until well past the 2 year coverage schedule anyway.

But I still have an email into Pioneer just to confirm. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by visitor Q; 04-23-09 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-23-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a sweet price, I'll have to run to BB and see if they'll give me the same deal, maybe even try the $725
Old 04-23-09, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
1st....I have no idea if Pioneer is in trouble. Wouldn't surprise me. Who is really doing well right now? Besides Wal-Mart anyway.

2nd...A deal is a deal. It won't be a 40lb brick if Pioneer goes out of business. Heck I still love and use two HD players and still buy HD DVD's (at cheaper prices then SD DVD's). For that expensive of a product, I would expect years of enjoyment who cares if the company goes out of business.

3rd...I'm thinking of taking advantage of a company going out of business. I might grab a couple of NHT speakers. Prices just to good right now.

Just enjoy what you got and no worries! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pioneer Plasma, if I could justify needing another TV.
Sdallnct where are you seeing the great prices on NHT speakers? I wouldn't mind getting some for our bedroom or kids game room set up.
Old 04-23-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you'll find that they have never authorized internet sales for the Elite line. That is quite common, similar things have been true for upper models by Onkyo, Denon, etc. Even if a store is authorized for direct sales, it won't be for internet.
Old 04-25-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ripley - a few words about the receiver itself, regardless of the existential stuff ....

Recently I tested a variety of receivers with only these points in mind - money and sound. I really didn't, and don't, care about most of the other features, especially at this price point. The SC-05 comes with more than enough HDMI (4) inputs for future expansion. I'm not with High Def just yet so having 3 component and 6 digital audio inputs are sufficient for my purposes into the foreseeable future. What's strange is that the specs for digital inputs is 7 on Pioneer's website and this is not true (4 optical and 2 coaxial inputs).

In any case I home tested a SC05 against the HK AVR354, Denon 3808CI, Integra 6.2 (my old mid level receiver with Burr Brown Dacs) and an Onkyo SR806 (though the SR876 is more comparable at the SC05's original price point and specs). I use a Paradigm Monitor speaker array (entry to moderate level speakers). And I even threw in a pair of 20 year old Klipsch reference book shelf speakers (still sound as good as new) to satisfy any misgivings. Musically, I tested everything - various full bit DTS (dynamic range heavy) film soundtracks to various CDs - from Enya, Ministry, Orb, Eric Serra, various orchestras, Morricone soundtracks ...essentially you name it. I dare anyone to throw in the DTS soundtrack of Titan A.E. and see how quickly your speakers deteriorate if not careful. It's an excellent test for mid to (and especially) low range dynamics of speakers.

What I found was simply this:

SC05 - has a wider sound stage than any of the competition. For better or worse the sonics on the higher frequencies sounded slightly "muffled" at times depending on the source in my opinion. But I figure that this may have been partially due to speaker match up. Slightly off axis sound reproduction was better, almost perfect actually, compared to my old Integra. The sound field that this match up produced (especially when I close my eyes and truly absorb the material) in pure direct mode is extremely wide (absolutely stunning) compared to all the test subjects. It's very easy to lose the speakers even sitting slightly out of the "sweet spot". Actually, how incredible it is blows me away just about every time I throw in a new Cd to listen to - including film soundtracks. Frankly, when I run a 5 speaker stereo mode over pure direct when listening to CD music it sounds remarkably weaker. The sound field in two channel pure mode sounds similar (but better than) to a stereo output in a matrixed surround mode - where the sound is dispersed, giving the user only a sense of surround sound. In the SC05's case the sounds are exactly where they should be ... imaged widely and more dynamically detailed. But because of its slightly "muffled" results the SC05 takes a bit of getting used to. Overall however, I am extremely impressed with its overall performance.

SC05 - has better dynamics than any of the competition I tested. One highlight is a Japanese soundtrack consisting of various wind and string instrumentation (more specifically - Yoji Yamada trilogy soundtrack (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UPCY-6392). Everything but the Pioneer sounds "muddied" especially when run at reference levels. When the cello chords started to run up an down notes the Pioneer receiver was the only one to pick up on the nuances and detail of the transitions. All of the others seemed to go from soft to loud but the detail in shifting notes was blended together producing a less effective result. And when listening to Saving Private Ryan, chapters 18-19 (the Alamo towards the end where the Germans enter the city of the bridge defense), the (strongest rated receiver compared to the SC05) Denon seemed to exaggerate the levels of bass. Before the tanks were visible, arriving to pass through the thoroughway the low frequency effects were overly pronounced and prominent. Instead, when the Pioneer was up to plate, the bass response was tighter and kicked in when the on-screen visuals dictated (more naturally). This was an apparent strong point of the Pioneer in my opinion.

Now I'm not saying the SC05 is the be all to end all in the AV receiver market. But within the $7-800 price range I fully believe that it considerably blows all other receivers away with respect to sonics only ..even some at equal MSRP price points ($1,800). But for some a more exaggerated sound might be more desirable - sort of like listening to your car audio system no matter how much money you throw at it! Musically (which is usually the most significant factor) the SC05 sounds above and beyond everything else I tested. I've never been able to decipher strong to weak film and CD soundtracks as easily as I have with the Pioneer. But at the same time I also find that newly found ability frustrating as some level of forgiveness in overall sound might be better achieved for some with an alternative receiver. This is not the case with the Pioneer. And I feel as if it's a small sacrifice to pay for the best sound reproduction possible. Next upgrade are the speakers .....

Last edited by visitor Q; 04-25-09 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 11:29 AM

I would love to get Best Buy to price match a SC-05 for $700 or $725. Hell, I'd go get one right now. I see the sale at 6th Ave is now over. Any chance there is a similar price somewhere else? Anyone else have any advice on how to get this price at Best Buy?
Old 06-02-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluescreenoftom
I would love to get Best Buy to price match a SC-05 for $700 or $725. Hell, I'd go get one right now. I see the sale at 6th Ave is now over. Any chance there is a similar price somewhere else? Anyone else have any advice on how to get this price at Best Buy?
bumping an old thread, but the name your price sale at 6th ave is back as of this morning.
Old 06-02-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

What does that mean? I've never shopped with them. They come up as a 3rd party though Amazon - are they good?
Old 06-02-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but the Pioneer Elite receivers have always been "in-store only." Hopefully, they've changed it....
Old 06-02-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was tempted, but then I saw the "Retail Only" sign on the SC-05 page. Will 6AVE still take offers on items that are marked "Retail Only"?
Old 06-02-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't tried this, so I can't comment on the name your own price sale for items marked Retail Only specifically. I have shopped with them before, though. Their prices are good, but shipping times seem to be really slow. (meaning: the time it takes them to ship the order). However, at the time, I bought my blu ray player from them for about 30% less than anyone else had it.
Old 06-02-09, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went ahead and made an offer of $705 for the SC-05 and they accepted it! So I've got 7 days to mull it over (or until supplies run out, of course).

I'm probably 70/30 on pulling the trigger on it (though I was sort of holding out for the Emotiva UMC-1, but there's no telling when it'll be released and if it's truly ready for primetime). It's just that I don't have a need for the amp section as I'm fine with using my existing 5-channel amp for now (and I could use it vie preouts from the SC-05, so that's okay), but for $705, it's a wash between a pre-pro (UMC-1) and a receiver.
Old 06-03-09, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How much does that unit usually cost, and is it almost as cheap elsewhere?
Old 06-03-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Amongst Pioneer's authorized online dealers:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...n+the+Internet

Amazon - $910
Best Buy - $1800 (haha)

That was about it (besides 6Ave.com) for places offering the SC-05.

Now there are other places that are selling this receiver for around $765 and above, but they aren't authorized online dealers, so warranty coverage would be an uphill battle if the receivered needed repairs in the future.
Old 06-03-09, 08:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I went to a local high-end audio retailer in Austin a few weeks ago and he said Pioneer was ceasing the manufacturing of their Elite receiver line. I didn't really believe this, then I had called Vann's to see what their price was on the 01, and he mentioned the same thing, that Pioneer wasn't releasing any more. But I haven't read a thing about it anywhere. I wonder what's up - and if it's true, why they're stopping. I've had a couple of Pioneer receivers in the past and loved them, but I'm leery of upgrading to a Pioneer HD receiver now.

Last edited by E Unit; 06-03-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I've heard the rumors, too. But still, considering how much more I'd have to spend to get what I can get in a SC-05 (another $300 or so), it might be worth the risk to snatch one up and ride it into the ground, and by then something else will be available for purchase at a good price.
Old 06-03-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do they get back with you and say no if your price was too low? Can you simply then send in another submission for the same item?
Old 06-03-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Do they get back with you and say no if your price was too low? Can you simply then send in another submission for the same item?
If they say "no," they usually give a price of what they'll accept.
Old 06-03-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure if it's worth it. I was thinking of the Panny BD-80, but somebody over at AVS apparently offered $275 without a counter. Ontop of that somebody else said OneCall had it for $301.
Old 06-03-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I put in $650 for the SC-05 and they came back saying they'd take $700 (shipped)
Old 06-03-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I figure that was their bottom line price ($700). I'm so tempted...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.