DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New HDTV's coming out.

Old 04-21-09, 12:31 AM

New HDTV's coming out.

Im in the market for a TV. A 55-60" plasma is what I'm looking for. And looking for a deal ofcourse. But I kinda want to wait to see how good the new technologies are. Samsung's LED tv's for example.

I am not in a hurry, I can wait a year if I have to. But there is a Samsung PN58A650 floor model on sale for $1900. Can someone please direct me to some gear articles talking about the next wave of TVs?
Old 04-21-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: New HDTV's coming out.

There are non-floor models for $2000 on the web. Panny or Pioneer plasmas would almost certainly be capable of a better pic, course they'd cost more.
Old 04-21-09, 12:31 PM

I hate amazon though. could you tell me of a reputable site to browse around at? I can tell you one thing, atleast for that model, it beats amazon and any of it's partners by $300.
Old 04-21-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

www.onecall.com
www.crutchfield.com
Old 04-21-09, 05:14 PM

Thanks. After shopping around a bit, I really like the new LED's coming out. What do you guys think of them? I got to see a couple up close in stores. I think I'm gonna wait til the end of the year to see if I can get a decent sized LED for ~$2000.

I'll bookmark those websites, ty.
Old 04-21-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think there is always the next greatest technology. And the next greatest thing. If you need a TV get it now and enjoy it. If you don't well, I guess not that big of a deal.
Old 04-22-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

www.bhphotovideo.com is where I saw $2000. Very reputable camera store, biggest in the world.
Old 04-22-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Thanks. After shopping around a bit, I really like the new LED's coming out. What do you guys think of them? I got to see a couple up close in stores. I think I'm gonna wait til the end of the year to see if I can get a decent sized LED for ~$2000.

I'll bookmark those websites, ty.
The one I recently saw did not hold a candle to my Panasomic Plasma. The fringing was awful on some sources as well.

Spend half that, get a Panasonic 1080p plasma now and wait a few years for the technology to mature
Old 04-22-09, 06:49 PM

I want a 58" panasonic 1080p plasma with 120h atleast for $2000. Got any tips?
Old 04-22-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
The one I recently saw did not hold a candle to my Panasomic Plasma. The fringing was awful on some sources as well.

Spend half that, get a Panasonic 1080p plasma now and wait a few years for the technology to mature
What Brian said!
Old 04-24-09, 02:14 PM

You have actually made me consider getting a panny plasma now lol. I have a 720p panny 42" downstairs and I love it. I could just imaging a 58" 1080p panny.

Somebody I know at best buy said to look out for a clearance sale of their floor models soon. So I might beable to get a TH-58PZ850U for under $2000. I am also considering getting a NEW 800u at amazon but right now they are about $2,300 - $2,400.

I'm curious about the refresh rate for the panny plasma's because they catagorize it different than an LCD. I would hope to be Future 3D compatible but if it's not it's not a HUGE loss. I heard the best guess right now is to have a 120h refresh rate. But plasma's use a different #. Anyone know what the refresh rate on the TH-58PZ850U is and how it compares to 120h on a simular LCD?
Old 04-24-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

The world has tried to get us to hate plasmas, but I still prefer them quite a bit to the lcds. When I buy another TV, it will likely be another plasma.
Old 04-24-09, 07:08 PM

I don't get me wrong I love my plasma too. So being able to set up and really demo a panny 1080p plasma has me excited.

Do you guys think I should get the 2 year panny service plan extension for $350? A $300 3 year plan with service net is what netted me $2700 to go shopping for a new panny in the first place cause my toshiba DLP's light engine went bad. I'm hoping Azons price on the H-58PZ800U goes down a bit more before I bite.

Last edited by Teremei; 04-24-09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I'm curious about the refresh rate for the panny plasma's because they catagorize it different than an LCD.
The TV refresh rate is the same, 60Hz. Plasmas have another spec that sounds like a refresh rate which really doesn't affect the picture at all. LCDs have a panel refresh separate from the TV signal. Higher is always better for this, so the panel doesn't lag.

I would hope to be Future 3D compatible but if it's not it's not a HUGE loss.
3D compatibility is something else. If you want that, check for it specifically. There are a couple different technologies being developed. It's really too early to worry about this, IMO. If you jump on one now, it might not be the one that survives (like HDDVD).
Old 04-25-09, 05:30 AM

60hz? So the refresh rate on the TH-58PZ800u is equal to about 60hz or only 20 frames per second? I've decided that's the TV I want I'm just waiting for my buy-out check now.

I found it online at Beach Camera for under $2300. Plus the service plan dealer they deal with offers 3 years for only $150. Free shipping, no tax. I'm really happy with that, and I can accept non 3D compatible for that price.
Old 04-27-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hertz
Old 04-28-09, 12:33 AM

I know what Hertz means. I was asking how Plasma's compare since they rate them completely different. Whereas a DLP or LED will specifically tell you 60hz or 120hz. Plasma's use another system completely.

But anyway, it's not that important to me since I'd rather save alot of money and go for the 60. Fry's near me has the Mitsu WD-73735 for $1800 currently. But I'd have to shell $300 for a larger shelf and $400 for a warranty. Sheesh, this is getting interesting.

Last edited by Teremei; 04-28-09 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-30-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, TV is 60 or 30 fps, never 20. That was my last point.

LCD cells are very slow compared to plasma cells. A plasma is just fine with a panel refresh rate of 60Hz to match the TV signal. An LCD can benefit from a faster-than-60 refresh since the cells don't "twist" fast enough to keep motion from being blurry. They need to be faster, and that is the "panel refresh" rate seen in marketing materials.

The subfield rating sometimes seen on plasma is just silliness, I'd ignore it.

Last edited by Spiky; 04-30-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 06:39 AM

Thanks for explaining that. I've been checking out alot of TVs, using your guys advice and really shopping around. Right now I've really got my eye on a Sammy PN58B550. It's available at Beach Audio and Amazon for only $1999. If it's still that price (or lower) when I get my check. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet. Fry's near me had theirs on demo mode with the Simpsons Bluray. I was very impressed. It was an outstanding picture (to me) and not a HUGE downgrade in size from a 63".
Old 05-03-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
The world has tried to get us to hate plasmas, but I still prefer them quite a bit to the lcds. When I buy another TV, it will likely be another plasma.
I'd almost agree but alas, the possibility of new EPA regulations could effectively kill the plasma market. Besides, if you've seen the new Samsung LED TV LCD panels with LED backlighting, the contrast and color quality are astonishingly good--it's the first LCD panel I've seen that can compare to a plasma panel.
Old 05-03-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
I'd almost agree but alas, the possibility of new EPA regulations could effectively kill the plasma market. Besides, if you've seen the new Samsung LED TV LCD panels with LED backlighting, the contrast and color quality are astonishingly good--it's the first LCD panel I've seen that can compare to a plasma panel.
It is already a niche market thanks to marketing and hype. Pioneer is already leaving, and I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung were next. Surely they are selling at least 1000 LCD's to every 1 plasma.
Old 05-06-09, 04:10 PM

I am the proud owner of a new Samsung PN58A550 and I could not be happier. I picked it up from Amazon for $2K including white glove delivery. The picture is so much better than my old 50" Samsung 720p, and whenever I play blu rays on my PS3, I know I made the right decision. At first, I was going to go with a 52" Samsung LCD with 120hz. But when I saw them side side from the same source, I knew I had to go with plasma again. The LCD picture was fine, but the brightness and the contrast on the plasma was unrivaled.