Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Best place to get Monster Cables for a good deal?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best place to get Monster Cables for a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-00, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help. Im trying to find monster cables for the best price. Could you please help me out. Thanks.

------------------
The world is yours!!!
Old 04-27-00, 09:10 PM

Don't buy them... it's a rip off...

What sort of cable do you need?
Old 04-27-00, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can try here for an alternative:

avconnect.com

------------------
"I already got a guilty conscience, might as well have the money too."

What my guilty conscience has gotten me so far...

ON MY $HIT LIST
----------------
FAMILYBLUNDER
BESTBYE
BUY.CON
Old 04-27-00, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by tricky76:

<HR>

After making such a bold statement, you must know something the rest of us who have been 'ripped off' by using Monster Cable don't know. Could you please enlighten me why they are a rip-off?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude
[email protected]
Old 04-28-00, 12:13 AM
BEC

It's alot of money for questionable ADDITIONAL improvement. Certainly, using better cables than the crap coax that comes w/DVD players makes a difference. But there is ALOT of price room between crap coax and Monster cable. Some people, myself included,
think you don't have to pay that much extra before you hit diminishing (or non-existent) returns in performance for the extra money you spend.

Example:
Rinky dink gauge clear plastic insulated wire -
Old 04-28-00, 02:34 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama:
After making such a bold statement, you must know something the rest of us who have been 'ripped off' by using Monster Cable don't know. Could you please enlighten me why they are a rip-off?
<HR>

I don't mean to sound like some sort of hero, but when you buy monster cables, you buy marketing. What is so special about those cables? You can get the exact same thing at RadioShack or a local audio shop for the same price.

It's like buying Bose...

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 04-28-00, 02:38 AM

I've posted this link before, but it is relevant to the discussion at hand:
http://www.magnani.net/~al/DigitalWireLabTest.html

Now after reading something like that I would think it would be hard to argue the merits of say monster cable vs a decent non-monster branded alternative. I would have to agree that for the most part you are buying in to marketing hype. There is a world of difference between throw in cables and monster cables, but within that gap there are a considerable number of cheaper, equal performing cables IMHO. But if you have monster cables and are happy with them, well then great, that is the only real way to judge product satisfaction after all isn't it?
Old 04-28-00, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to get involved, but... I have a decent system (Pioneer ELITE THX reciever powering Paradigm Referecne 60s, fed by a Sony DVP-S7000 for DVD and Elite/CAL CD system). I have an 8-foot bi-wire run of MIT T-2 cables on my L/R speakers. I challange *anyone* who extolls the benefits of zip cord and radio shack cable to bring their favorite 10 dollar run of cable over and A/B it against my $550 speaker cable. You will leave a changed person.

stay cool!
Old 04-28-00, 08:07 PM
BEC

$550!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You hear a difference WORTH $550? Did you try to step down to a $200 or $100 alternative?
Old 04-29-00, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mean to sound like some sort of hero, but when you buy monster cables, you buy marketing. What is so special about those cables? You can get the exact same thing at RadioShack or a local audio shop for the same price.

It's like buying Bose...

Cheers,
Patrick
<HR>

When I buy Monster Cable (and it's the only type of cable and interconnects I use) I don't buy marketing; I buy a very well made, durable cable that I know will perform up to the levels I am accustomed to. When buying Radio Shack cables, you don't buy 'the same thing' as when you buy Monster Cable. When you buy a BMW, is it the same thing as buying a Honda Civic? Both will get you from point A to point B. Is that the same? Are people who prefer BMW's (use your car of choice here) buying hype and marketing, or are they buying something that they know is a stylish, quality product?
I bought my first Monster Cable products after seeing them in an in-store demo, and had a chance to see and feel them 'in action'. That was it for me. They looked and sounded great, and felt a hell of a lot more durable then the stuff I was used to. No sales presure, no 'hype and marketing'. The cable sold itself to me. Have I ever tried Radio Shack brand? No. And I don't need to. Same reason I haven't tried Kimber cable, Vampire wire, etc. I'm happy with what I have. And the funny thing is, they aren't even that expensive compared to other 'high-end' cables. for example, look at the other post where the guy paid $500 for wire. Do I think that's overpriced? Not at all. He paid that much for it, and that's what maters. If it sounds good to him, it's worth every penny he paid, no matter what anyone else thinks.
The 'Radio Shack vs. Monster Cable' debate is almost as ridiculous as the Dolby Digital vs. dts crap. if you like Radio Shack cable, then by all means buy that for your system, and don't tell me I'm 'paying too much', or 'buying 'hype and marketing'.

On another funny note...I don't recall seeing Radio Shack cables listed anywhere in anyone's reference systems (I'm not talking Joe Six-Pack's 36" tv, with a Pro-Logic receiver either, I'm referring to pro set-ups). I wonder why, if they are 'the same' as Monster?

------------------
[email protected]
Old 04-29-00, 10:38 PM
BEC

DVD-O-Rama,

I'm glad you are happy w/your choice. I'm sure bobdole42 is as well. As I first said,
if you hear a difference WORTH the cost difference, great.

You do realize you opened the thread to discussion of the merits of Monster Cable with your post - unintentional as that may have been. I don't think anyone was telling you to do anything, at least I wasn't. I think the discussion is aimed at would-be buyers, to give them an idea of how others made their choices. You noticed improvement over your choices that was worth the money. All I said was I didn't.(From an EE point of view, I couldn't measure any siginificantly better electrical properties either w/my low frequency network analyzer, square pulse generator, 0-scope, amp clamp, current tranducer, ... )

I do think your decision process was interesting though. One of my relatives is an engineer at Monster cable over there in Mountain View (otherwise my monster hook up would have been $500). Even he admits its worth at least considering alternatives- both up and down from Monster.

Paying top dollar w/o comparing is one way to make your choices. That works sometimes ... however, if I did that I'd have Bose speakers and the flagship Nak receiver, instead of B and W CDM's, NHT's, and a Marantz sr-8000.

Reckon I'll have that six pack now.
Well sheeeeooott ... spilled some on my speaker/beer stand.

Old 04-30-00, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<HR>

About a year and a half ago, I was needing a digital optical cable. I only needed one about 3 feet long, but the only one I could find anywhere was a 10 foot Monster cable which cost, I think, about $45. I've since added another component which requires the use of an optical cable and bought an Acoustic Research one for $8. Absolutely no difference whatsoever. Never again will I buy anything made by Monster cable.
Old 04-30-00, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BobDole42:
I hate to get involved, but... I have a decent system (Pioneer ELITE THX reciever powering Paradigm Referecne 60s, fed by a Sony DVP-S7000 for DVD and Elite/CAL CD system). I have an 8-foot bi-wire run of MIT T-2 cables on my L/R speakers. I challange *anyone* who extolls the benefits of zip cord and radio shack cable to bring their favorite 10 dollar run of cable over and A/B it against my $550 speaker cable. You will leave a changed person.

stay cool!
<HR>

I cannot imagine spending that much on speaker cable. I have a Denon AV-R 3300 with Paradigm moniter speakers and there is no way that I would see $550 worth of difference in performance (if any).
Old 04-30-00, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Paying top dollar w/o comparing is one way to make your choices. That works sometimes ... however, if I did that I'd have Bose speakers and the flagship Nak receiver, instead of B and W CDM's, NHT's, and a Marantz sr-8000.

Reckon I'll have that six pack now.
Well sheeeeooott ... spilled some on my speaker/beer stand."

As I said, I was impressed with what I saw/heard/felt that in the H.H. Gregg showroom and I didn't feel the need to compare them to anything else. I'm not sure what you consider paying 'top dollar' is, though. I've paid less than $300 or so for all the cables and wire I use (S-Video cables, Component video cables, Coaxial digital audio cable, speaker wire and banna plug connectors), and that is a far cry from 'top dollar'. If you think Monster is overpriced, don't buy it. If you want to use Radio Shack and zip cord hook ups, fine. I like it, and I'll keep using it.

As far as my 'interesting' descision process...WTF??? I saw it, and liked what I saw/heard, and bought some cables. What is so ****ing interesting about that?

As far as the little six-pack line at the end of your post, please explain. If it wasn't intended at me, I'd still ike to hear the reason for it's inclusion. Enjoy your beer, and be careful not to spill any on that puny 36" tv.

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by DVD_O_Rama (edited April 30, 2000).]
Old 04-30-00, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's amusing reading some of these posts here... What a bunch of Hi-Fi snobs some of you are. What I'm reading into these are that since "Joe Six Pack" is playing his films on a 36" tele, he obviously can't enjoy the film as it was meant to be seen or heard. Nevermind if he has a digital system or not, if it's not powered by monster cables, he's a fool and a simp. Geeze Louise...

As for the reference ("pro" - remember, Joe Six Pack is an amateur film viewer) systems... If you're going to drop 10K on one, what's a few hundred more for cables? Might as well have the "best" on the market eh?

Bottom line, do what makes you happy. Enjoy your movies and your system and buy whatever you want. Try to convert the non converted to this format... Show them the difference. But don't look down on them from high and mighty, that's not going to help a casual reader of this forum understand anything.

Sorry... Got a little off topic there, I know this a monster cable thread. Umm... If you have money to spend with no problems, go for it. But, not everyone is pulling down 100K a year.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Zhivago (edited April 30, 2000).]
Old 04-30-00, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bottom line, do what makes you happy. Enjoy your movies and your system and buy whatever you want. Try to convert the non converted to this format... Show them the difference. But don't look down on them from high and mighty, that's not going to help a casual reader of this forum understand anything.

Amen, brother. That's what I've said all along: buy what you want and can afford. I am very, very far from 'high and mighty' and don't look down upon anyone.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 05-01-00, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, I noticed a substantial improvement with a Monster Video 2 SVID cable vs. my Radio Shack SVID. Colors were more saturated and the image was sharper.

Now with digital cables, get the cheapest you can find. However, with video cables, quality does make a difference.

MIT cables have a little box that processes the sound; you're hearing more than just good cables.
Old 05-01-00, 07:42 PM
BEC

[i]As far as my 'interesting' descision process...WTF??? I saw it, and liked what I saw/heard, and bought some cables. What is so ****ing interesting about that?

As far as the little six-pack line at the end of your post, please explain. If it wasn't intended at me, I'd still ike to hear the reason for it's inclusion. Enjoy your beer, and be careful not to spill any on that puny 36" tv.
<HR>

Won't spill any on top of the TV - that's where we line up the empties. Anyway it's hung too high up there for the beer to reach

[i]I am very, very far from 'high and mighty' and don't look down upon anyone<HR>

Hello up there ... Can you hear from way atop
that 61" screen? Maybe I should change my hearing aid cable to Monster... I seem to be hearing an echo down here...

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BEC:
[i]If you hear/see the difference between Monster and the next-step-or-two-down alternative that justifies the cost,
go ahead.
<HR>

quote:<HR>Originally posted by furious:
[i]. But if you have monster cables and are happy with them, well then great, that is the only real way to judge product satisfaction after all isn't it?<HR>

[i]I'm glad you are happy w/your choice. I'm sure bobdole42 is as well. As I first said,if you hear a difference WORTH the cost difference, great. <HR>

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago:
[i]Bottom line, do what makes you happy. Enjoy your movies and your system and buy whatever you want. Try to convert the non converted to this format... Show them the difference.<HR>

D-0-R , what you say and do is interesting. Look at how many people keep responding?

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 01, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello up there ... Can you hear from way atop
that 61" screen? Maybe I should change my hearing aid cable to Monster... I seem to be hearing an echo down here...
<HR>

I must be getting senile in my old age, because I'll be dammned if I can find anywhere in this thread where I mentioned the size of my tv. Did I miss something?

D-0-R , what you say and do is interesting. Look at how many people keep responding?
<HR>

So, you are interested by what I say and do? Boy, you must have some boring homelife.

Look at how many people keep responding? (Was that a question?)
Yeah, you do keep responding, don't you?

I've made my feelings clear many times: if you like Monster, buy 'em. If you don't, there are many, many other brands to choose from.

Enjoy your homemade cables and your beer. Do you make that to? Cause I heard if you compare Budweiser to homebrew, there are 3 out of 4 rednecks that can't tell the difference. Don't buy the hype! Make your own, it's cheaper!
Cheers.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DVD_O_Rama (edited May 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DVD_O_Rama (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-00, 10:46 PM
BEC

To stray back on topic, V-store (myfamily) isn't a bad place to get Monster cable w/the 30% coupon (exp 5/31):
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012302.html

V-store sends stuff out of AZ, so that might work out for theKobra.

There's was also $25 of $35 (exp ?):
http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/011735.html

To stray off topic:
In trying to measure the added performance from quality cables, I looked at the large-signal (about 10 amps) frequency response curves of 3 meters of Monster vs brand x to get an idea of the electrical property differences. In the 10-25000 Hz range, the difference was < +/- 1 dB rms. That translates to about +/- 1 dB for SPL levels, less than the typical coloration of most speakers. Whether or not you can hear 1 dB difference is a different matter.

This debate rages on in other forums like audioreview as well. For anyone who is interested and isn't sick of this already:
http://www.audioreview.com/message/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=re ad_count&om=166&forum=DCForumID8&omm=0

Here's a well spoken pro-"high-end" cable article:
http://www.audioreview.com/techtalks...ges/74992.html

anyway, back to brewing moonshine. We silicon valley red-necks can't get enough of that stuff... And yes BUD is way overhyped.
I'd take a Sam Adams or micro-brew any day over that cow piss.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 03, 2000).]