Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Screen shots of non-anamorphic image on 16X9 screens?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Screen shots of non-anamorphic image on 16X9 screens?

Old 04-26-00, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have screen snaps of what a non-anamorphic image looks like on a 16X9 screen that they could post? I've heard people say that it looks terrible but can't imagine what they mean. How does it look zoomed in? Thanks.

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com
Old 04-26-00, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I imagine that a non-anamorphic image on a 16x9 screen would have the gray borders on the side to simulate a 4x3 screen then the usual black borders on top and bottom that you normally get on a widescreen picture on a standard set. To make the image fill the screen you would need to use the zoom or fill feature, etc. In any case, it would look slightly distorted or cut off at the top, etc. This is what you would normally see when viewing 4x3 material on a widescreen TV.
Old 04-26-00, 05:58 PM
Banned

Here's how it looks on my Toshiba TW40X81 widescreen TV:

You get black lines on the top, bottom, left and right sides. On the Toshiba you have the option of zooming the center of the screen without introducing any stretching which brings most non anamorphic images almost to the outside edges of the screen.

Basically it doesn't look all that bad but I really prefer to get anamorphic and will often pass on films I really like if they're not...

------------------

Web-Today Destinations: Best of the Web, Seven Days a Week!
Old 04-26-00, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see your image / link, but your comments make it sound better than expected. I remember someone saying that it looked like crappy RealVideo streaming quality but didn't back it up with images.

I'd imagine that for all non-anamorphic titles that don't have subtitles in the black bars there is no reason not to zoom in.

------------------
My DVDs
buskerdog.com

[This message has been edited by buskerdog (edited April 26, 2000).]
Old 04-26-00, 08:03 PM

It doesn't look as terrible as you think...

I don't have an image link (I don't know how helpful it is to compare a picture of a picture) but, I currently own a 56" 16x9 HD-RPTV and watch non-anamorphic DVD's in "zoomed" mode. I own ~400 DVD's, 80% of which are 16x9 enhanced..

I can say that the quality of the image varies and one cannot say that 16x9 is -always- better... but if I were to state a fact it would be: the best non-anamorphic movies don't look quite as good as the best 16x9.

The really good 16x9 transfers(almost all Columbia Tri-Star and New Line stuff) have a 3D like 'pop' to it.. like you are looking into a window. It's very close to what you see in a good movie theater--very sharp, clean and film like. I'm using an external line doubler and my display is ISF calibrated.

There are also some NON-anamorphic movies out there that are very good... like the Abyss, many Criterion titles and almost anything Di$ney(in their pre-anamorphic days)--They rival and sometimes beat average to poor 16x9 transfers... but my preference will always be 16x9 because nothing can beat it (except HD) when done correctly.

--mike

Old 04-26-00, 08:47 PM

Non anamorphic discs have to be zoomed in to get same screen area as anamrophic. The final resolution is about 75% of an anamorphic image. This is still better than VHS, but that 25% lower resolution is really noticable on a screen any larger than 30-36".

I have a Toshiba TW65X81 (65" 16x9) and will rent, but not buy non-anamorphic titles.
Old 04-26-00, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took these pictures of my TW40X81 (Toshiba 16x9 RPTV) while watching Titanic (a popular non-anamorphic title). Sorry if they are a bit blurry -- I took them under low lighting and hand-held situations . These pictures should give you an idea of the various viewing options you have (at least, with this TV).
http://home.talkcity.com/gaiaway/fan...un/titanic.htm
Old 04-27-00, 03:08 AM

(wiping drool off chin)

fantasia,

Which mode do you prefer to watch widescreen movies in? Does theater wide distort the picture?

I am working on my wife to let me buy an 16x9 RPTV. Thanks for the pics,

-Brett
Old 04-27-00, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bberdine: I like to utilize the entire screen (or as much as possible). So for non-anamorphic dvds, I will use theater-wide mode; if the transfer is decent (like Titanic is), the stretching to fit the screen is pretty tolerable. For anamporphic dvds, I use full mode (since the picture will fill up the screen anyway).
Old 04-27-00, 03:01 PM
Banned

Another tip that I just discovered last night:

I have a ProScan DVD player hooked up to a TW40X81 and in order to make nonanamorphic discs fill the screen I have to

1) set the DVD player to 4x3 standard
2) switch the TV to theater wide 2

This results in a picture that fills the screen (when it's a 16x9 aspect film) without any geometric distortion and looks very nice.

Hope that helps.

------------------

Web-Today Destinations: Best of the Web, Seven Days a Week!
Old 04-27-00, 05:33 PM

For non-anamorphic DVD's, I make no adjustments to my Sony 550D DVD player, just set the Pioneer 710 TV to Cinema Wide. Titanic, The Abyss, and other top-quality non-anamorphic DVDs look very good. And I watch from about 8 feet away.

This set has a pretty good line-doubler, and I guess it's working in this situation. Would I buy a new edition that just added anamorphic picture? Only if it was one of my VERY favorite movies.
Bob
Old 04-28-00, 10:00 AM

I have a 32" Sony Wega. If I watch a non anamorphic DVD in ZOOM mode the picture has a digital artifacty look to it and you loose a lot of fine detail. If I watch in SMART mode (where the edges of the picture are stretched out) the image is very sharp, but has a slightly squashed look to it. So I get into the service menu and stretch the picture vertically to correct the squashness and the picture is superb.
Alan
Old 04-30-00, 02:46 AM

Alan,
The Wegas are not 16:9 are they?
Old 04-30-00, 08:46 PM

Nonanamorphic DVDs can actually have a good image on a 16x9. I've found that a progressive scan player makes for a big improvement also (I have a Tosh 56x81 so there's no full mode locking problem). In fact I'd have to say that I no longer hesitate to purchase a nonamorphic DVD, provided it's something I really want. I still wish all the studios would get on the anamorphic bandwagon though.
Old 05-01-00, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
d-rell,

Although the Wega's are not 16:9, they will properly play anamorphic DVDs in anamorphic mode. They will automatically do the "squeeze" for you.
Old 05-03-00, 04:14 PM

D-rell and Shazam...yeah my Sony Wega is a 16x9 set. It is the KV32FX60. Don't you guys have the equivalent in the US?
Alan
Old 05-03-00, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops, forgot about that one.