DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Sharp 32” LC32BD60U 1080p LCD HDTV w Built-in Blu-ray Player - I bought one- have u? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/553520-sharp-32%94-lc32bd60u-1080p-lcd-hdtv-w-built-blu-ray-player-i-bought-one-have-u.html)

tc5998 04-16-09 02:35 PM

Sharp 32” LC32BD60U 1080p LCD HDTV w Built-in Blu-ray Player - I bought one- have u?

I talked myself into this TV for our bedroom. Was looking to conserve space especially with components and the built in BRay player sounded great. Got it from Dell for $800 (used my epp through my employer). Have had it for a few days. BRay tests look really good on it. Player is easy to use. A few buttons I am used to having on remote are missing - like sleep timer, but that is OK. Bray player is very small and mounted on back of unit and not truly integrated with the TV's case.
I can't post a link because I don't have 30 posts yet, but it is on Amazon now if you want to take a look.

Watching regular TV DVD sets (always with built in player) - the color really pops and not a in good way... trying to figure out how to tone it down - especially the reds. It isn't unwatchable or anything, my wife probably won't notice... but of course i do. As a result of my tinkering now things look a little washed out, so i restored to defaults and bray looks good again, but the regular DVD is just OK (again too much heat in colors). Regular HD TV from cable box (comcast) looks fine.

Over all a good combo unit (remember I've only had it 2 days LOL!).

Let me know your thoughts - especially on adjustments.

PS - about me - i used to hang on this form YEARS ago and then moved a few times a few new jobs and forgot to come here... then the other day I said to myself I have questions about bray etc... Hey wait a minute! DVD talk that is where the guys in the know are!
Good to be back
Chad

SoSpacey 04-16-09 03:25 PM

Re: Sharp 32” LC32BD60U 1080p LCD HDTV w Built-in Blu-ray Player - I bought one- have

Most of these TVs, especially LCDs which are bright to begin with, need their brightness turned down out of the box.

Also, this model doesn't get talked about much on the web. tweaktv has recommended settings for different televisions and the only one I could find similar to yours, is the following:

32d64u

You may want to start with those settings and tweak it from there. If your room is brighter than normal, turn up the brightness. If it is dimmer than considered normal, turn it down a little.

tc5998 04-16-09 03:29 PM

Re: Sharp 32” LC32BD60U 1080p LCD HDTV w Built-in Blu-ray Player - I bought one- have

Thanks for the advice! This model just hit the market at the beinning of April, so it may appear in those lists eventually.

It also has a sensor in it that if I have this special mode on it actually turns its brightness down automatically when the lights in our room are turned off and back up when they are turned on. I thought that was interesting.

SoSpacey 04-16-09 06:34 PM

that sounds like a good feature. just make sure you still turn down that brightness from the start. it will use your settings as a baseline.

timiny 04-17-09 06:44 AM

I have the LC42BD80U model and if your remote is like mine, they hid the sleep time function under a door at the bottom of the remote. I have had it about 2 weeks and really like it. The OPS function that automatically changes the brightness has caused me a bit of grief so I turned it off. Everytime it adjusted the brightness it actived the "info" function of the Dish Network 301 satellite box.

tc5998 04-17-09 11:25 AM

I'm still having a devil of a time getting reds to look right when watching "normal" DVD's on the built in bluray unit. Is this a common problem with these kinds of units? Bluray itself looks really good. I have a PS3 in another room hooked to a 46" Samsung LCD and have never had these issues before.

I've only been working on one disk (30 Rock Season 2) though and I think maybe i need to try a few more to see if that is the problem. I mean the red is not so distracting it is unwatchable, but man does it pop out compared to the rest of the colors.

timiny 04-20-09 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by tc5998 (Post 9393599)
I'm still having a devil of a time getting reds to look right when watching "normal" DVD's on the built in bluray unit. Is this a common problem with these kinds of units? Bluray itself looks really good. I have a PS3 in another room hooked to a 46" Samsung LCD and have never had these issues before.

I've only been working on one disk (30 Rock Season 2) though and I think maybe i need to try a few more to see if that is the problem. I mean the red is not so distracting it is unwatchable, but man does it pop out compared to the rest of the colors.

I have only watched on DVD on mine but have not had a problem with the reds. Definitely no issues on the Blurays

Spiky 04-20-09 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by timiny (Post 9393071)
I have the LC42BD80U model and if your remote is like mine, they hid the sleep time function under a door at the bottom of the remote. I have had it about 2 weeks and really like it. The OPS function that automatically changes the brightness has caused me a bit of grief so I turned it off. Everytime it adjusted the brightness it actived the "info" function of the Dish Network 301 satellite box.

Try changing the remote code of your sat box. They all have this feature so you can have more than one in the same room. See if that fixes this particular problem.

jarofclay73 04-20-09 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey (Post 9391927)
Most of these TVs, especially LCDs which are bright to begin with, need their brightness turned down out of the box.

Also, this model doesn't get talked about much on the web. tweaktv has recommended settings for different televisions and the only one I could find similar to yours, is the following:

32d64u

You may want to start with those settings and tweak it from there. If your room is brighter than normal, turn up the brightness. If it is dimmer than considered normal, turn it down a little.

Thanks for the link. I have a different LCD TV but I found one for mine. It's probably the first calibration setting I've been able to live with.

tc5998 04-26-09 06:35 PM

So, I'm trying to mount this sucker on my wall. And Sharp claims in their book I should ONLY use their specific mount. I thought this might just be the normal worry wart kind of thing, but this TV is unique in that it has the built in bluray player hanging off the back of it.... Anyone mounted this?

timiny 04-26-09 08:28 PM

Mine is mounted with the mount that came with my Viewsonic Plasma that it replaced.

timiny 04-26-09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9397744)
Try changing the remote code of your sat box. They all have this feature so you can have more than one in the same room. See if that fixes this particular problem.

That worked