DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Features to be aware of for Big Screen TVs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/55326-features-aware-big-screen-tvs.html)

eauctiontrust 04-16-00 06:40 PM

Okay! before I get flamed - Let me tell u that I have researched on previously posted threads. This new thread is because:
a) New 2000 models have/started to arrive!
b) some new developments in some models!
c) lower prices for 16:9!

So what do you suggest? I have 3k to spend.
I watch 50% cable tv and 50% DVD!

And can someone tell me about smart stretched 4:3 in 16:9 - even with newer models do they leave burn-ins?

Thanks!

DivxGuy 04-17-00 01:05 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
So what do you suggest? I have 3k to spend.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to go with the Mitsubishi WS-55805 - at street price $3500, it's only slighty higher than your stated price range.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
And can someone tell me about smart stretched 4:3 in 16:9 - even with newer models do they leave burn-ins?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a demo of that yesterday on a Pioneer SD582WD5; it cuts off a little from the tops and bottoms of the image, and stretches the sides, but not the center. The whole screen is filled, ensuring even wear across the CRT phosphors, avoiding the burn-in problems associated with grey bars.

RD

steve f 04-18-00 09:41 PM

If you have a spare bedroom, den etc. I'd recommend a separate hometheater setup along with a set to watch regular 4:3 progamming in the living room.

I'd get a Toshiba TW40X81 for DVDs and HDTV. You should be able to get one in the $2000-$2200 range.

A new 32"-36" direct view set for your regular TV viewing, $600 - $1000.

If you only have a choice of one set I'd go with one of the new Sony bigscreens, I think you can get a 53" for around $3000, and I believe it will do 'the squeeze' so you can see anamorphic discs in full resolution.

I'd still recommend a separate setup for HT and regular viewing. We're at a point now where DVD and HDTV allow spectacular widescreen pictures, but the vast majority of TV viewing is the old 4:3 format, so there's no easy solution.

eauctiontrust 04-28-00 02:47 PM

Any other recommended model #?

DaveW 04-28-00 11:27 PM

I would investigate the Toshiba TN55x81 or the TN61x81, I'm not sure what they sell for in the US, but the screen is big enough that you can still enjoy Letterbox DVD movies at a high quality, and have 4:3 for your regular TV. The set supports Progressive Scan, and will support the Settop HDTV box as well. http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/hdtv/TN55X81.html
I am very happy with my 55", but I'm sure some here will tell me it's not real unless it 16:9 8-)

eauctiontrust 05-01-00 07:18 PM

bumpity bump!
since too many TV queries on the board!

Aleve90 05-01-00 08:54 PM

eauctiontrust:

There are some nice sets out there. Because your viewing is half cable and half DVD you have a hard choice of 4:3 or 16:9. I suggest 16:9 because it is the "wave of the future" and the various scretch modes are not bad IMHO -- although they take some getting used to. Plus, for 3K you get a nice HD-ready set and should be 16:9, just as all HD sets should be 16:9. Sorry folks but forget about 4:3 unless your not planning on watching HD or other widescreen material (ie, older films). But that is a personal decission and there isn't a wrong answer as long as the 4:3 set you get and do a 16:9 squeeze (sorry Toshiba 4:3 you don't qualify).

As for burn in, it is still a problem and will likely always be a problem with CRTs. Even the nicest HD sets out there have this problem, but this shouldn't be an issue as long as you are careful how you watch TV. I personally always use the 4:3 stretch mode so that the picture fills the full screen and I do not have to worry about black bar burn it. However, some of my local digital broadcasts are of 14:9 images inside a 16:9 window. On these I have black bars on the right and left but I don't worry about it because only some of my viewing is on these channels. Since I also watch 16:9 HD programs, 16:9 DVDs or 4:3 images stretched to 16:9 it is not a problem. Of course it would be a problem if all I did was watch images will black bars on the sides. As long as you mix it up and majority of your images are not static you will not have a problem (Note: you will have a far worse time with stock tickers or news logos on all day than with occassional black bars).

Take a look around, most of the sets out now are very good and I would recommend the Toshiba (16:9s only), Panasonic, Sony and Mits. Have fun and enjoy.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List