DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Advice on in-car player for child in rear-facing seat

Old 04-06-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Advice on in-car player for child in rear-facing seat

Hi, we're going on a trip soon and as much as I hate using DVDs for young children, I do for the sake of our sanity. He does NOT travel well.

We have an older 99 Cavalier with a rear-facing car seat. There's really no head rest on the back seat for strapping down a screen and I'm not willing to just sit something on the back window area because it could be a deadly projectile in a crash.

We have an iPod nano, but I think that's too small to get his attention. We also have a laptop with a DVD player, but again, I have no idea how to mount it safely.

Any suggestions for a nice in-car player and screen in this situation?
Old 04-06-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Advice on in-car player for child in rear-facing seat

For mounting, how about using something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Sticky-.../dp/B00006RSWT
Old 04-06-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, velcro is your best option.

You can try to find something like mounting it on the ceiling, but that'll be too much work, the best option is velcro.

I guess the baby is under 1 year, right?
Old 04-06-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah he's a toddler, will be 2 this summer. It's safer to keep them turned rear facing until they hit the seat's weight limit (33 lbs). The American Academy of Pediatrics finally gave the recommendation to keep them RF til at least 2 years last week.

I think I'll try to rig something up with Velcro. It should work out fairly well. I could also try to sit the laptop beside him, he might get a stiff neck though. If I gave him the iPod, it would get tossed the minute he got mad about being in the seat. We'll keep it safe and sound, far from little hands.
Old 04-10-09, 07:50 AM

First of all I would probably turn him around forward facing. That might stop him from being so pissed off in the car. As long as the child is at least 20 pounds they can sit forward facing. Then I would just mount the screen like normal off the front seat.
Just my two cents.
Old 04-10-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RM811 View Post
First of all I would probably turn him around forward facing. That might stop him from being so pissed off in the car. As long as the child is at least 20 pounds they can sit forward facing. Then I would just mount the screen like normal off the front seat.
Just my two cents.
His direction makes no impact on him being pissed off. He wants out of the car so he can run around the driveway, yard, parking lot -- wherever it is that we are, he wants to run.

"New research indicates that toddlers are more than five times safer riding rear-facing in a car safety seat up to their second birthday."

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/c...full/30/4/12-a

Back on-topic, we're going to try heavy duty velcro, plus we'll tether the screen somehow.
Old 04-10-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, the best would be for someone to ride with him. That solves your dilemma of not wanting to use TV as a crutch, and maintains safety. Technically, it's safer for adults to be in the back seat, too.

There is a huge difference in a toddler being alone in the backseat, facing the rear, vs having someone sit with him. That's what we did when necessary.
Old 04-10-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of us always sits back there with him. We sing to him, hand him toys, make faces, feed him if he's snacky, etc. That will help us make a 5 minute trip. He's really intolerant of car rides! The 7 hour trip to our folks' houses is a nightmare. We stop at ever single McD's playland just to let him out to run. It takes us about 12 hours to make the trip this way. Flying is not an option--they live in bufu Egypt. Sometimes his Signing Time dvds or Baby Crackstein will help him have 20 mins of quiet time. He will nap once and only once on these trips.
Old 04-10-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PrincessT View Post
One of us always sits back there with him. We sing to him, hand him toys, make faces, feed him if he's snacky, etc. That will help us make a 5 minute trip. He's really intolerant of car rides! The 7 hour trip to our folks' houses is a nightmare. We stop at ever single McD's playland just to let him out to run. It takes us about 12 hours to make the trip this way. Flying is not an option--they live in bufu Egypt. Sometimes his Signing Time dvds or Baby Crackstein will help him have 20 mins of quiet time. He will nap once and only once on these trips.
Sounds like someone is getting a little spoiled... could be why he acts that way.
Old 04-11-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I'm out of suggestions.

Well, there is alcohol. Can work on both parents and kids. Not recommended for kids or driving parents, though.
Old 04-11-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tylenol or something like that, that can reduce his power.