DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Picking out a DVD player help please?

Old 04-05-09, 01:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Picking out a DVD player help please?

i want to buy a Philips DVP5992 1080P Upconvert DVD Player from costco but i only want to do it if it can stream videos (tv shows) quickly from my western digital 320 gig external harddrive. can somebody please quickly confirm this for me because i have like 2 hours to jump on this deal. also can somebody list the formats it would have to be in. thanks.
Old 04-05-09, 02:09 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Picking out a DVD player help please?

Grab the player while you can and return it if you find it won't do what you want.

The player supports many different video formats. You should be able to get TV shows into one that it supports.

Compression formats: MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, DivX Ultra, WMV

http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...USB+DVP5992-37
I've seen posts by people talking about it being able to stream content from up to 500GB drives.
Old 04-05-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Refurb today at woot.com. It is very popular because it can play from USB drives.
Old 04-05-09, 06:12 PM

^Sold out.
I've heard rumors of new ones at Costco for $40.
I'd do that over a $30 +shipping refurb.
The new ones are usually $55-60.
Old 04-06-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Regular is $50 at Costco, but occasionally it is on sale for less. If they have them, still. I haven't looked recently.
Old 06-02-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

looking for a new one of these (it's a gift). anyone know if these are being phased out? or are these THAT popular that they're so hard to find (non-refurb)?
Old 06-02-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last time I happened to look (a couple weeks ago) at Costco they had some Philips player. Not sure of the exact model, but they had plenty at my nearest store.

They change models at least once a year, maybe 3 times. So if you see something that looks like phasing out, it doesn't mean they are gone, just in between models.
Old 06-03-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are these (easily) region-free hackable?
Old 06-03-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes. all philips seem to be region-free hackable. it's a 4 digit code and I've used it on 2 philips dvd players with no issue (both 5992s)
Old 06-05-09, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson View Post
looking for a new one of these (it's a gift). anyone know if these are being phased out? or are these THAT popular that they're so hard to find (non-refurb)?
There does seem to be something strange with the 5990/5992 I agree. I have one and would like to buy a second one because it is so great; almost "to good to be true". There is also an underground community of firmware upgraders too, making it even better. I fear its replacement will be less affordable and less hacker-friendly. It does have some limitations though. It is very particular about which codecs were used to encode the (avi and wmv) video files. So I find myself having to do a lot of converting of files. Not fun and time consuming. Philips will have a real winner if they can improve this shortcoming.