DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   FYI: HDMI issue with Panasonic BD60 and Monoprice HDMI switch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/552487-fyi-hdmi-issue-panasonic-bd60-monoprice-hdmi-switch.html)

Brian Shannon 03-30-09 06:35 AM

FYI: HDMI issue with Panasonic BD60 and Monoprice HDMI switch

Well I thought I had a great plug and play solution setup for my theater.

I have been using the Monoprice HDMI 4 x 1 switch in my theater for over a year and had 3 devices connected to it.

I purchased the new Panasonic BD 60 (BD 605K @ Costco) and took it home to plug it into my switch and start watching BD.

Long story short (and about 2 hours) the player gets a U72 error which seems to be a known issue. The player has a problem with this type of hdmi connection and the only way I can use the player is to connect it directly to my projector. Unfortunately that means that I had to disconnect my Direct TV HD receiver and my PC from my projector.

I plan to buy a new receiver in the future but I wanted to pass this along to anyone in the same position.

Sdallnct 03-30-09 09:54 AM

Re: FYI: HDMI issue with Panasonic BD60 and Monoprice HDMI switch

Ewww...that does suck...

I'm also been using a Monoprice switcher for several years run to my projector. The monoprice evidently sometimes has issues with a PS3, but it has been flawless for me. I also have a Toshiba A-3 (I refuse to believe HD is dead...LMAO) and dishnetwork HD receiver.

And like you, I flirt with a new receiver now and again. But my H/K sounds so good I hate to kick it to the curb just because no HDMI. Tho, I'm considering giving it to my son if he goes to college, then I'd have to do something.....

Brian Shannon 03-30-09 10:02 AM

Well I knew the receiver switch was going to have to happen eventually, I hate to retire my Yamaha RX-V1 but the switch was only a stop gap solution.

I was not prepared however, for two hours of troubleshooting and finally realizing that the player would only work when plugged directly to my projector.

I may give it one last shot as I am waiting for either the BD80 or the Oppo BD83 as my final player for my theater. I only bought the 60 to have now, it will eventually go up into my family room and be connected to my Panasonic plasma. Perhaps the Oppo will not have the same problem with the switch which I could then put back and keep my receiver.

Spiky 03-30-09 10:14 PM

You probably have a model from before they went fully 1.3 compliant. The rev 3.0 model should work.

Brian Shannon 03-31-09 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9359055)
You probably have a model from before they went fully 1.3 compliant. The rev 3.0 model should work.

That may be the case since the player is 1.3

I may have to try the new switch first as that would be a better move than an entire receiver at this point.

Thanks Spiky, don't know why I did not think of that earlier, just ordered a new one. If it doesn't work I'll just return it.

Damn :( ;) really wanted that new Yamaha 3900 too!

Brian Shannon 04-02-09 04:12 PM

Well the new HDMI 1.3a switch did not work either. Talking to Monoprice tech support got me a canned response that not all switches will work with all devices.

That was the end of the discussion.

I guess I am not blaming them but I am very disappointed.

I am not sure what I am going to do now.

Spiky 04-02-09 09:07 PM

Well that sucks. The 35/55 have the same sensing, and my original 5x1 didn't work with my 55. But the 1.3 4x1 does work. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a firmware upgrade for the 60 that helps at some point.

Brian Shannon 04-03-09 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9366010)
Well that sucks. The 35/55 have the same sensing, and my original 5x1 didn't work with my 55. But the 1.3 4x1 does work. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a firmware upgrade for the 60 that helps at some point.

Possibly, but not yet, I checked.

I am becoming concerned that it may be the projector that is the problem. The Sharp XVZ10000U does not have an hdmi port, rather it is a dvi port that I use with an adapter.

My pc and my direct tv hd receiver all send output just fine to the projector. My Oppo 971 did as well. It is only the Panasonic BD player that has this U72error. I am not hesitant to try a new receiver, fearing that because the projector will still be connected with the dvi/hdmi adapters that it will still throw the code, even when switching through a receiver instead of a switch.

I am really at a loss

Brian Shannon 04-03-09 06:50 AM

Well the plot gets worse.

It appears the by searching that this projector cannot work with hdmi 1.3 and that the adapter may be the problem.

BUT, the bd player works when being connected directly to the projector but not through the switch. All other devices work through the switch.

I guess I will take the player and the switch and try connecting them to my Panasonic plasma and see what happens. My plan was to put the Panasonic player with the plasma anyway and put the upcoming Oppo BD-83 in my theater, hence the reason I need to sort out where the problem is, the projector, the switch or the player. And whether or not a receiver to switch though would solve the problem.

Spiky 04-04-09 04:03 PM

If the PJ works direct, it ought to work with a switch, don't you think? Meanwhile, it's the 1.3 devices that are touchiest. I would lean towards player at this point, but it's so new it's hard to say much.

Brian Shannon 04-06-09 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9369049)
If the PJ works direct, it ought to work with a switch, don't you think? Meanwhile, it's the 1.3 devices that are touchiest. I would lean towards player at this point, but it's so new it's hard to say much.

I agree, that is what makes this so strange. I may try swapping out the receiver anyway and see if the new Yamaha 3900 can do the switching. If so then I can get the new audio formats as well and add 7.1 speakers.

Superman07 04-07-09 09:48 AM

Have you tried a different device on the back end of the switch instead of the projector? Do you have a small monitor or tv that you could move into that room to test?

Brian Shannon 04-07-09 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 9373607)
Have you tried a different device on the back end of the switch instead of the projector? Do you have a small monitor or tv that you could move into that room to test?

I am going to test the switch with the same player and my Panasonic plasma, just have not had the time.

FWIW, that will only lead to two possible conclusions. One means that the switch is the problem and the other means that the projector is the problem.

Ultimately I would like to hang onto the projector for a while longer so the test of a new receiver with the player and my projector seems to be more valid.

JACOB 04-07-09 04:40 PM

I have an philips 47 lcd. it has 4 hdmi ports. I also have the onkyo 605 and the HDMI switcher. I had problems with my panasonic 30 & the switcher. I used that on the onyko reciever.

Jacob

Spiky 04-08-09 06:06 PM

Another thing to try, Brian, is trying different inputs on the switcher. May seem ludicrous, but I've heard interesting things.

Brian Shannon 04-09-09 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky (Post 9377297)
Another thing to try, Brian, is trying different inputs on the switcher. May seem ludicrous, but I've heard interesting things.

Agreed and thanks. Actually Monoprice also recommends this but it did not make a difference. I tried each input with and without other devices and got the same result.

And the situation gets weirder and more frustrating. I contacted Sharp customer service about the problem and was told emphatically that my projector does not support hdmi 1.3. I guess they skipped the part of my email that told them the player worked just fine when connected directly to the projector. :lol:

I am still trying to line up a 3900 to test