Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Denon 3300 OK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-00, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like everyone here likes it, but I was reading at the SMR Home Theatre forum and it seems like several people there have returned them. Not sure what all their "problems" were.

Seems like most were with clicking in the amp and fan noise due to the heat problem with the 3300. One guy also complained about the stereo sound (HT was OK) being lame. I thought this was a strong suit of Denon?

[This message has been edited by Taco (edited April 18, 2000).]
Old 04-19-00, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Denon is a great unit. I can't see how someone could say it's not musical? Maybe that's the subjective end of things. I also like the Nak, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite units for the same reason. I don't know about fan noise problems, as I ended up getting the Pioneer Elite and didn't take any of them home to listen for fan noise (the Pioneer lacks a fan). I did have a problem with my older Denon unit though, when I was in college my roomates thought it'd be neat to hook all their speakers up to it at the same time while I was in class. The blown power supply was replaced under warranty without any problems. Just missed it for a week while it was away though.
Old 04-19-00, 03:52 PM

I've owned the 3300 for a few months now and I have been pleased. I read the same posts about the problems and it appeared that in the mad rush to supply the units to the marketplace the quality control was a bit lacking. I had a small hum come from the power transformer one day with my unit but it left as quickly as it came and since I have had no problems. If there is a defective part just replace the unit. Make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer with a storefront. I don't quite understand buying a $1000 piece of equipment online or through mail order, just for convience if anything goes wrong.
Old 04-19-00, 07:23 PM

What's a good price for the 3300? Local dealer only went down to $950! Seems I read somewhere you could get them for 750-800?
Old 04-20-00, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unfortunately, your local dealer is not going to come anywhere close to matching the prices of the mail-order outfits. I'd shoot for 10-15% discount with the dealer. Your dealer will let you take it home to try, and will be there after the sale to help. A mail-order shop will not provide this service of course.
Old 04-21-00, 12:00 AM

Found a local authorized wholesaler that will sell the 3300 for $810. Also I can get the NHT ones for $148.50 each.

Only problem is that they don't allow demos, only returns for defective. At least I won't get stuck for shipping costs for a return. Just have to be sure what I buy is what I want!
Old 04-22-00, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got an offer from an online retailer for $850 for the 3300. Out of stock though, gota wait for 2-3 months.