Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with a Sony DVD player.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Problem with a Sony DVD player.

Old 04-19-00, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a SONY DVD player model# 530 and sometimes when I watch a movie the sound doesn't match the picture. This problem will happen like right in the middle of the movie. The only way I can fix it is to stop the movie and hit play again.....
Anyone else ever have this problem??? It's very annoying.....
(I purchased it around June of 99.)

I had also heard that SONY was aware of this problem and had a recall....can anyone confirm this and what do I do???
Old 04-19-00, 10:16 PM

Although I have never had this problem with my player (A 7000), I have heard of it with 330's and 530's. Take it back to where you bought it or to an authorized repair depot for a frmware upgrade.
Old 04-19-00, 11:48 PM

I have the 550 and yes, Sony is aware of this and you can either take it to a Sony DVD authorized center or send it to them with a copy of the invoice and a description of the problem. The address to send it to is:

Sony Service
1504 Grundys Lane
Bristol, PA 19007

I am sending mine out on Monday (daughter just got Stuart Little and probably will not part with the player just yet). The lady on the phone said that I did not need an RA number or anything, just a copy of the invoice and what is wrong with it. She said for the Lip Sync problem, they will replace a couple of chips and they will update the firmware and it will work like a champ.

She said to allow 7-10 business days from the time they receive it for them to complete this process.
Old 04-20-00, 03:12 AM

I have the 550 and have had this problem. It used to be quite frequent, but now is a rare occurrence. You can either hit pause or stop, then hit play which will get them back in phase. If this is too much of a pain, you can return it. Sony was even going to arrange to pick it up from my house, but I haven't been willing to part with it for 2 weeks yet.
Old 04-20-00, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the replies.......

Casey225 who did you call that they offered to pick it up for you??? Do you have a phone number???

Will this modification cost me anything??

Mike
Old 04-21-00, 05:40 PM
Banned

Mike,

I wish I could help you better, but I have tossed all my Sony DVD Player lip-sync info. I used to subscribe to a email list that was started for people with this problem.

The email address is: sonydv[email protected]

Send them your questions, and you will received about a dozon or so reply's with all info you need. I have since unsubscribed to this service.

I was in the first batch of repaired Sony DVD players (550D). At the time, Sony arranged for FedEx to pickup my player, at their cost, repair it with new chips and a firmware upgrade, and FedEx it back with 7 working days. I have not had any further problems since. All this was done at NO COST to the consumer.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Kenwood (edited April 21, 2000).]